Superdome Renovations $450 Million

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

New Orleans missed out on the Super Bowl in Minnesota because they refused to give into the NFL demands. The NFL mandates that every city has “x number of hotel rooms at y price” and “z number of transportation for a price.” Last time that the Super Bowl was here the hotels, restaurants, etc... were kind of like “yeah, no” and made a ton of money. The next time that they were bidding they refused to bend to the NFL demands on that so they lost despite being the heavy favorite. @NoSaint knows it much better than me and can hopefully clarify.

The Super Bowl is on it’s way back in a couple of years and should ALWAYS be. There isn’t a city in the country better equipped to hold major events than New Orleans. I’m not sure that’s even debatable. The one gripe that you hear is that it’s hard to fly direct to NOLA. The new airport though will be open (MAYBE) by football season. That’s assuming it doesn’t get delayed for the 5,000th time. Other than that, EVERYTHING is in walking distance. Most people that come will never get into a vehicle once they get to their hotel. 

I was just in NOLA for JazzFest, I absolutely love that town and can't wait for the new airport, didn't know that was happening

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I was just in NOLA for JazzFest, I absolutely love that town and can't wait for the new airport, didn't know that was happening

Should have sent me a message!! I was out at Zurich most of last week. It Jazzfest this weekend.

Is this a new airport or a new terminal? I heard of a new terminal.

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport -- New Orleans, USA. Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is set to see a super-modern terminal open in May 2019.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Should have sent me a message!! I was out at Zurich most of last week. It Jazzfest this weekend.

Jazz fest - nice . Too bad the Stones had to cancel though. Crazy that ol’ Keef’s body is like 150 years old, but Mick’s the one who needed heart surgery... go figure! 

24 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Jazz fest - nice . Too bad the Stones had to cancel though. Crazy that ol’ Keef’s body is like 150 years old, but Mick’s the one who needed heart surgery... go figure! 

I wasn’t going to splurge on the Stones tickets. It was a weird money grab by Jazzfest IMO. They added a day, quadrupled the price and sold out in 10 minutes. I guess it was supply and demand but not for me. I was sad about Bob Seger though. 

14 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

They will rip the tourists like crazy!  Hotels, meals, rental cars, possibly a dedicated airport departure tax, and anything else they can think of. 

There is an oil/gas presence there, but not too much manufacturing.

My wife & I had dinner in Williamsburg VA., and I noticed that their tax on meals is over 13%.  I expect the hotels are the same.  On the one hand they want tourists to visit/spend, then they don't miss a beat in running up your tab.  Not a lot of "infrastructure" improvements going on there either.

You are 100% correct, go to NOLA and look at your hotel Bill, it is like NYC, there are 5-6 lines of add on taxes.  There USED to be oil and gas, that is pretty much 90% gone, most of it to Houston and offshore business is half dead.  There is next to no manufacturing was mostly directed to oilfield and offshore, offshore is pretty much dead.  The city thrives on tourism and corruption.  Of the $450 million, half will be spent inefficiently, the other half will be stolen.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

New Orleans missed out on the Super Bowl in Minnesota because they refused to give into the NFL demands. The NFL mandates that every city has “x number of hotel rooms at y price” and “z number of transportation for a price.” Last time that the Super Bowl was here the hotels, restaurants, etc... were kind of like “yeah, no” and made a ton of money. The next time that they were bidding they refused to bend to the NFL demands on that so they lost despite being the heavy favorite. @NoSaint knows it much better than me and can hopefully clarify.

The Super Bowl is on it’s way back in a couple of years and should ALWAYS be. There isn’t a city in the country better equipped to hold major events than New Orleans. I’m not sure that’s even debatable. The one gripe that you hear is that it’s hard to fly direct to NOLA. The new airport though will be open (MAYBE) by football season. That’s assuming it doesn’t get delayed for the 5,000th time. Other than that, EVERYTHING is in walking distance. Most people that come will never get into a vehicle once they get to their hotel. 

I will probably get delayed, and it should be.  The exit ramp to get to the airport won't be ready until 2023 and that is probably optimistic.  Getting in and out of that airport will be historically bad without that exit ramp.

5 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I've been there twice.  It struck me that as a major tourist destination, site of Final Fours, Super Bowls, Mardi Gras, Sugar Bowl every year, in the FBS national championshio rotation, major convention host city on an almost weekly basis, it's still one of the poorest cities in the U.S.    It does not make sense.

I went to graduate school there and lived on and off for about 15 years (finally moved residence to tax-free Texas)....biggest problems are education, government corruption, crime, old blue blood society, racism.  Ironically enough, one of the best things to happen to the City was the hurricane, it is a long story but fascinating evolution of the city.  i  The Warehouse district for example where I last lived has been transformed into a hipster, trendy millennial place to live.

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I will probably get delayed, and it should be.  The exit ramp to get to the airport won't be ready until 2023 and that is probably optimistic.  Getting in and out of that airport will be historically bad without that exit ramp.

Yeah, it is going to be a disaster!! They want people entering from Loyola I think in the meantime? It just looks like a mess.

37 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, it is going to be a disaster!! They want people entering from Loyola I think in the meantime? It just looks like a mess.

Yeah tell me about it, I’m not looking forward to it.

I live right off Airline almost to St Rose, and work in Elmwood. Trying to get home passing  in front of the airport is a nightmare as it is, and will probably be worse when the new terminal opens until they get the access road situation l figured out.

2 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I live right off Airline almost to St Rose, and work in Elmwood. Trying to get home passing  in front of the airport is a nightmare as it is, and will probably be worse when the new terminal opens until they get the access road situation l figured out.

That’s going to be brutal!! Where in Elmwood? Had lunch at Kyoto 2 today in your neighborhood.

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

5 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Plenty of Bills fans that live in the NOLA area.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s going to be brutal!! Where in Elmwood? Had lunch at Kyoto 2 today in your neighborhood.

On Kuebel St, right off of Citrus. I’m on the road most of the day but my day starts/ends in Elmwood. You were literally two blocks from my office.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The good thing though is that the traffic is only bad twice a day. Once it pushes through, it's a straight shot.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KellyToTasker said:

The good thing though is that the traffic is only bad twice a day. Once it pushes through, it's a straight shot.  

You live here too?

The left lane is always blocked by taxis and ubers trying to get into the Cell Lot across the street from the airport, and the right lane is either people trying to exit onto the service rd or the airport itself. It’s a brutal setup. If I’m in a rush to get home I’ll just cut through River Ridge. It’s longer in distance, but at least the traffic moves.

11 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I've been there twice.  It struck me that as a major tourist destination, site of Final Fours, Super Bowls, Mardi Gras, Sugar Bowl every year, in the FBS national championshio rotation, major convention host city on an almost weekly basis, it's still one of the poorest cities in the U.S.    It does not make sense.

And it smells like pee.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Is this a new airport or a new terminal? I heard of a new terminal.

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport -- New Orleans, USA. Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is set to see a super-modern terminal open in May 2019.

It’s a single large terminal totally separate from the current in the same general area though. The old is being retired.

15 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Pretty accurate summation. The nfl tries to drive down rate on a good portion of the inventory. Those that play still come out ahead of a normal weekend- but while they are getting 3-400 a night, their competing properties can see rates upwards of $1,000. It can be tricky to get enough people into the official bid. Minnesota had a little less challenge given how offseason it is for them but also some major players stepping up to dedicate all their local inventory. It’ll be back to Nola soon enough, they won’t stay away... but new stadium plus very aggressive city bid leapfrogged minny into the rotation 

• Thank you (+1) 1