Superdome Renovations $450 Million

They will rip the tourists like crazy!  Hotels, meals, rental cars, possibly a dedicated airport departure tax, and anything else they can think of. 

There is an oil/gas presence there, but not too much manufacturing.

My wife & I had dinner in Williamsburg VA., and I noticed that their tax on meals is over 13%.  I expect the hotels are the same.  On the one hand they want tourists to visit/spend, then they don't miss a beat in running up your tab.  Not a lot of "infrastructure" improvements going on there either.

• Like (+1) 4

Just in NOLA a week ago. Pretty shocked at the state of their roads, way worse then Buffalo even after a heavy winter, some of the side streets were nothing but gravel

Edited by steven50
comma

5 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

They will rip the tourists like crazy!  Hotels, meals, rental cars, possibly a dedicated airport departure tax, and anything else they can think of. 

My wife & I had dinner in Williamsburg VA., and I noticed that their tax on meals is over 13%.  I expect the hotels are the same.  On the one hand they want tourists to visit/spend, then they don't miss a beat in running up your tab.  Not a lot of "infrastructure" improvements going on there either.

In Chicago, the hotel tax is over 17%. Tourists don't vote in the city they're visiting and don't really know what things costs in different parts of the country so it's easy to give them the shaft.

Edited by vincec

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Went thru Carolinas on way to North Myrtle Beach and stopped at a BBQ place.  When we got the meal we were surprised on the tax but then they charged a 10% service charge as well (This was a place where you order at counter and pick it up there) and the service charge included service charge on the tax.  Told them I'd be going back thru town on way back but not stopping there to this.  Good BBQ though.

Surprised that they do not have a new stadium built with how some of their very vocal representatives love PSLs.

It definitely needs the upgrades. Remember that the Superdome also hosts things like Super Bowls, Final Fours, CFB National Championship games, ect. It's not like Buffalo where they can put it out in the burbs, New Orleans is surrounded by swamps and a giant lake and river, it has to be downtown. Tourists aren't going to stop going there because of a little higher tax.

6 hours ago, steven50 said:

Just in NOLA a week ago. Pretty shocked at the state of their roads, way worse then Buffalo even after a heavy winter, some of the side streets were nothing but gravel

That’s what happens when you build a city 7 feet below sea level on sandy ground in a rainy climate...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, steven50 said:

You have NO idea how bad the roads are!! The Association of General Contractors and a bunch of other construction related organizations were lobbying Congress like 2 weeks ago on it. It never passes though. https://www.myarklamiss.com/amp/news/state-news/will-the-roads-get-fixed-hb-542-plans-to-get-it-done/1949361801

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting. Superdome is pretty outdated right now, so the cost is perhaps relevant to the NEF situation. Very different stadium designs though, so that would have impact on cost to renovate. 

They’ve actually poured a ton in recently. 

8 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/01/report-superdome-to-undergo-450-million-renovation/

The Saints reached a deal for renovations on their stadium, the deal will afford the Saints a home through 2035, $450 million total ($150 by the Saints).  

The saints will ALWAYS acquiesce to the Saints. They have one of (if not the) best deals for a team in all of sports.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

When you get the Super Bowl every 4 or 5 years, this will pay for itself rather quickly 

New Orleans missed out on the Super Bowl in Minnesota because they refused to give into the NFL demands. The NFL mandates that every city has “x number of hotel rooms at y price” and “z number of transportation for a price.” Last time that the Super Bowl was here the hotels, restaurants, etc... were kind of like “yeah, no” and made a ton of money. The next time that they were bidding they refused to bend to the NFL demands on that so they lost despite being the heavy favorite. @NoSaint knows it much better than me and can hopefully clarify.

The Super Bowl is on it’s way back in a couple of years and should ALWAYS be. There isn’t a city in the country better equipped to hold major events than New Orleans. I’m not sure that’s even debatable. The one gripe that you hear is that it’s hard to fly direct to NOLA. The new airport though will be open (MAYBE) by football season. That’s assuming it doesn’t get delayed for the 5,000th time. Other than that, EVERYTHING is in walking distance. Most people that come will never get into a vehicle once they get to their hotel. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I've been there twice.  It struck me that as a major tourist destination, site of Final Fours, Super Bowls, Mardi Gras, Sugar Bowl every year, in the FBS national championshio rotation, major convention host city on an almost weekly basis, it's still one of the poorest cities in the U.S.    It does not make sense.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting. Superdome is pretty outdated right now, so the cost is perhaps relevant to the NEF situation. Very different stadium designs though, so that would have impact on cost to renovate. 

Only been to NOLA once. There isn't much land available to build a new stadium that would still be close to the French Quarter. They could tear down the old municipal auditorium. But that is considered an historic building.

9 hours ago, steven50 said:

There are portions of suburban Detroit/southern Michigan where the townships stop, and it becomes unincorporated; the roads end abruptly and you switch to gravel or dirt in poor conditions. People build huge houses out there.

• Like (+1) 1