Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Any updates on Ansah?

...medical clearance slated for August per Yolo's post.....McBeane was quoted as saying, "we're neither in or out on Ziggy right now"...stay tuned........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

28 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...medical clearance slated for August per Yolo's post.....McBeane was quoted as saying, "we're neither in or out on Ziggy right now"...stay tuned........

Thanks bud.  Yeah saw that stuff, was curious if anything more had come out, so thanks man looks like I was up to date.  

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks bud.  Yeah saw that stuff, was curious if anything more had come out, so thanks man looks like I was up to date.  

...here is the latest info I read along with the McBeane quote..........

Posted by Josh Alper on April 29, 2019, 6:13 PM EDT -PFT

Free agent defensive end Ziggy Ansah visited the Ravens last week and another AFC team continues to keep tabs on the veteran pass rusher.

Ansah visited with the Bills in March before reports that he would not be signing with any team until there was more clarity on his recovery from shoulder surgery. Word last week was that Ansah is expected to be cleared in mid-August.

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane was asked about Ansah during an appearance on WGR 550 on Monday and said that the team has remained in touch with his agent since their visit. Beane said the Bills “aren’t in on him or out on him” at the moment.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I still think Shane Ray should be the guy. He was SEC defensive player of the year. He's been effective for the Broncos as an OLB in limited playing time. He's only 25. I know he might has off field things and some injury issues, but he plays like his hair is on fire. To me he's a younger Jerry Hughes, who was miscast in a 3-4 and found his home as a 4-3 end here after some lackluster time in Indy. Mitch Morse, EJ Gaines, and Marcus Murphy are all former teammates at Missouri, and could in theory vouch for him. I think there is tremendous upside here. 

There’s upside.  Too bad there’s no brain.

https://12thmanrising.com/2019/05/02/seahawks-predicting-ziggy-ansah/

Ziggy Ansah

This week Seattle has entertained Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah and what basically amounts to a recruiting visit by NFL standards. Ansah is dealing with a shoulder issue, though, and has had a history of injury issues so signing him would be a risk. Seattle, though, will sign Ansah, I believe. It won’t be until after May 7th, however.

Waiting until after May 7th to sign Ansah means the Seahawks won’t lose a compensatory pick in 2020. Seattle currently is in line for four such picks, projected for the one each in rounds three, four, six and seven.

According to the NFL compensatory pick formula, because Ansah is a free agent and not released by his former team, the Detroit Lions, he would take away one of these compensatory choices if signed by Seattle before May 7th. 

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane was asked about Ansah during an appearance on WGR 550 on Monday and said that the team has remained in touch with his agent since their visit. Beane said the Bills “aren’t in on him or out on him” at the moment.

Which means they probably made him an offer and sticking to it. 

21 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Which means they probably made him an offer and sticking to it. 

...probably dead on accurate...McBeane has said many times that " we assign a value to a player and that's it"....code for "take it or leave it"......

With Ansah looking for just a one-year deal in 2019 to prove himself for one last big contract, I doubt he fits the Bills plans. Lawson is around for this year, so why would the Bills want Lawson and Ansah for this year, then neither in 2020. Likely the Bills offered Ansah a multiyear deal, but that may not be what he's looking for.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, SCBills said:

If we’re going with an increased importance of interior pass rush vs edge pass rush, do y’all think going after Gerald McCoy might be the move to keep an eye on?

I think we are probably done with interior pass rush this season...dont forget Shaq can also move inside and rush the passer.....

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

If we pick up Ansah, our D-Line would be Hughes, Oliver, Lotulelie, and Ansah...  H.O.L.A! Hopefully they will be able to greet Brady in backfield on a regular basis.

With our Jesus-freak HC, I think H.A.L.O. would be more appropriate.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

With Ansah looking for just a one-year deal in 2019 to prove himself for one last big contract, I doubt he fits the Bills plans. Lawson is around for this year, so why would the Bills want Lawson and Ansah for this year, then neither in 2020. Likely the Bills offered Ansah a multiyear deal, but that may not be what he's looking for.

They're moving into win mode. Anyone who can contribute positively in 2019 should be in their plans. A one year deal could be mutually beneficial. 

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

They're moving into win mode. Anyone who can contribute positively in 2019 should be in their plans. A one year deal could be mutually beneficial. 

Absolutely. If he's not hobbled by the shoulder McBeane will make a run at him. 

28 minutes ago, JM57 said:

A one-year deal for a guy with a questionable shoulder. Not much sense to me. Multi-year, yes. Shoulders are tough to rehab quickly.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If Lawson blows up this year they can STILL sign him to a multi

Talking Ansah. Lawson, who knows. He may not be a McBeane guy. Lawson sounded upbeat coming into this year according to this article, but that was before they declined his 5th year option. He'll have to show something special in camp or early in the season to get a multi-year deal. They'd have to re-sign him before he gets to FA. If he does blow up this year, I'm doubting he re-signs with the Bills. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/optimism-prevails-as-the-bills-get-set-to-begin-offseason-workouts

52 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

A one-year deal for a guy with a questionable shoulder. Not much sense to me. Multi-year, yes. Shoulders are tough to rehab quickly.

Guess they should sign him multi year then and just wait until 2020 for production. A one year deal is a no lose situation. Their cap situation is fine and he will be motivated to perform well so he can try to cash in on free agency next year.

6 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Guess they should sign him multi year then and just wait until 2020 for production. A one year deal is a no lose situation. Their cap situation is fine and he will be motivated to perform well so he can try to cash in on free agency next year.

Its a tricky situation.  Ansah is probably looking for one last big contract especially since there’s questions about how old he is.  So his preference is probably a 1 year deal and he cashes in next year.  But teams aren’t gonna give him a 1 year deal if he’s hoping to be ready by mid August until he’s actually healthy.  

• Like (+1) 1