Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

They both were horrible.  Whaley had two good picks in four drafts as GM in Darby and T. White.

He didn’t make the selection of White... McDermott did.... so that leaves Darby who is a probably a decent starter but not much better

33 minutes ago, vincec said:

Shaq and Murphy will both be gone after this season. DE needs help in the offseason or sooner. Let's just hope that nothing happens to Hughes.

You could be right....both essentially have 1 year to turn things around

With how foreword thinking Beane is, I have to imagine they have a plan here.  

You dont bypass Winovich/Ferguson in the 3rd for a Running Back, then decline the option on Shaq, with Hughes and Murphy at the end of their deals next year without having a game plan.  

Again I said this the other day, but this is the only position that has not had any overhaul, and only Trent Murphy fits the prototype of what these guys typically looked for in Carolina. Long limbed, tall, etc. Ansah fits that mold, as does Clowney. Ferguson fit that mold, Winovich did not....so I'm a bit surprised they did not grab Ferguson. But I think this is the final revamp for McDermott and Beane. They have overhauled every other position on the roster to fit what they want. Defensive end is next imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Like 18.5 going.to Tyler Kroft?

So you obviously didn’t look at the real numbers of the contract? Otherwise, hard for me to find the logic in your rebuttal.

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

So you obviously didn’t look at the real numbers of the contract? Otherwise, hard for me to find the logic in your rebuttal.

And Tyler Kroft is a better player than he gets credit here for. But you are right. His contract is basically 1 year $6.3m ($4.9m against this year's cap) plus a small amount of bonus that would be dead money - about $1.5m.

Compare that to the contract Trey Burton signed last year in Chicago. His best year in Philly was statistically worse than Kroft's best in Cincy and indeed even when starting every game in Chicago last year he average 10 yards per game more than Kroft's season as a starter with the Bengals but had one touchdown fewer.

Burton signed 4 years; $32m with $22m guaranteed. His upside may be slightly higher than Kroft (though I don't buy the Burton hype) but only one of those contracts is overpaying. And it isnt the one the Bills gave out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If the Bills sign Ziggy, I could see them trying to trade Lawson or maybe hold onto him.  He's still on a cheap rookie contract.  I think it would mean that Yarbrough would be cut.  Plus letting Lawson walk as a free agent may yield a comp pick.

Bills just signed approx 18 or so Free Agents. They will never be in line for comp picks next year.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

26 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

I can still see Rexie beaming about how great Lawson and Ragland were going to be...what a doofus.

They would have been. But only in Rex's defense.

Edited by cba fan

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But they just drafted a guy who might be able to play RT with the 6th pick of the second round.:flirt:

Probably will end up as G. Personally I either wanted us to get back into RD1 or make some moves to grab a lower number, but higher quality players such as:

RD1 - Oliver

RD1/RD2 - Fant/Tillery

RD2 - Irv Smith/N'Keal/McCoy/Risner/Rock-ya/Greedy

RD2/RD3 - Sanders/Sternberger

After Oliver, I wanted to prioritize TE or another DL due to our lack of DL under contract next year and I felt those were the highest value positions (I was substituting TE over WR with a target of #29ish to early 2) & rated players. If that wasn't avialble I was looking for McCoy who would allow us to easily dump Bodine and would start at G for us. Other than that it was a tossup if a top CB was there.

Knox was on my draft board, but only if we entirely missed out on Sternberger, which we didn't, we passed on him.The players at end of the class aren't going to upgrade much of anything and are just cheap fillers IMO. I didn't really care for the WRs in this draft TBH, but would have been fine if we took a flyer, I just see them as 2-3s which I feel we have plenty of. Vosean I have some hope for, but Johnson, Johnson & Sweeny - :sick: I don't expect us to develop Knox and expect very little from him.

I am assuming he had Jawaan Taylor with a failed medical, otherwise I would have assumed we would have tried to grab him.

Edit: I also get that last offseason, WRs were not going to sign with us, not knowing who or what our QB plan was. This year's draft was lacking in the offensive skill position we could have used. Possibly, as you have indicated DK would have helped this year with a RD2 choice to give Allen another option until we can attempt to address it better with an AJ Green (doubtful) or a RD1 WR. I really expect our offense to be a run heavy and stretch the field on the outside with Duke/Brown/Foster with Beasly and Zay working underneath.

Edited by Reed83HOF

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Oh..so now the Bills are worried about the compensatory pick formula coming into play after they just signed a bazillion FA's this offseason?  I think the writer has no clue...

Do you know why this is a bad take? I’ll help..

#Hughes #McCoy #Lawson

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

With how foreword thinking Beane is, I have to imagine they have a plan here.  

You dont bypass Winovich/Ferguson in the 3rd for a Running Back, then decline the option on Shaq, with Hughes and Murphy at the end of their deals next year without having a game plan.  

My thoughts as well. Plenty of choices in the early rounds to address the DE position. They may have a particular player(s) in mind via trade or FA besides Ansah and Clowney.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Lawson, Ragland, Washington, C. Jones, J. Williams

Doug Whaley sure nailed that draft.

He only did what Rex wanted him to do. Which one of those players fit the physical profile that Whaley is known to perfer

Guys, If someone signs Shaq next off season it will effect the comp formula for that season. So signing a million free agents in 2019 would have nothing to do with someone else signing Shaq in 2020. The Bills aren't getting any comp picks in 2020 draft, becuase they signed a lot of free agents in 2019. They could get comp picks in the 2021 draft and Shaq signing elsewhere in the 2020 offseason would effect that. People gotta read up on how this stuff works before going all apeshit. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

WR and DE are going to be by far are biggest, and only major, needs going into 2020

If Josh Allen significantly improves . If not we are gonna be lost in the 6-10 to 9-7 zone no matter how great our D is .

• Like (+1) 1