Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

51 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Image result for russ brandon

I will give credit to Russ for one very important thing. He negotiated the poison pill in the current stadium lease that made moving the Bills harder. It likely scared off several bidding groups.

2 hours ago, vorpma said:

Only to C.Biscuit97, Sammy never lived up to first round status and still has not; mediocre at best!

I agree with Sammy not living up to his status. Seeing the Rams trade a 2nd round pick and EJ Gaines for him AND KC paying him 13 million a year suggests that he is better than "mediocre at best." Sammy's problem is his health.

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I mean Trent Murphy got 7 mil per after an injured year. If shaq has a decent year he could be looking at that 

That's a risk I'd be willing to take. That 9 sack season in 2016 got Murphy paid. I don't see Shaq getting more than 5...like ever. DE's that can't get to the QB don't get paid.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Bills signed Shaq to a modest contract after this season. Something in the 4-5 mil/Jordan Phillips range. Like Phillips, Shaq is a quality BACKUP.

They still need a stud.

Edited by LSHMEAB

I'm not all that surprised. Lawson, while not terrible, has been a disappointment and hasn't developed into the player we hoped. While I think it would be a waste to cut him, he definitely hasn't shown himself to be worth 10 mil next year. Let's let him be affordable depth.

My real interest is the Ansah potential signing. It's a risk with the injury, but I would take a shot at it.

3 hours ago, dneveu said:

I mean... washington's a FA, Raglands a starting LB for a... lets say "evolving" KC defense, and Shaq's a rotational piece on our D-line.  

I think what you have to evaluate on Whaley's drafting was need vs. BPA - and his trades.  Moving up for Ragland - a need - got us Cardale instead of Dak - assuming you still wanted to go QB in the 4th.  Supposedly ragland was 1st round talent - but only fit in a certain scheme

Is Ragland starting? They're shifting to a 4-3 and their other ILB sound like be a better fit at MLB.

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

That's a fair point.  I totally agree he is NOT worth $10 mill/yr.

If he has a year that he's worth $10M, then we can pay him that, so this seems to be a smart move.  

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I might keep him and hope he plays his butt off.  It would be another hole to fill, and while he’s not a game changer, he is coming off the best season of his career.  I won’t be up in arms if they trade him but I think he might have more value than a late round draft pick. 

I agree, but I think Beane may want some extra ammo in next years draft.  I mean we used a 5th to move and get Ford this year.  

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Still have 30 million to work with....teams are gonna start cutting veterans as well and we are in a position to scoop.

Still a long 3 months before TC starts, so I guess anything can happen.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would have picked it up just to make yourself less desperate. With that being said, if you can negotiate a 3 or 4 year deal with him it would be a win.  Maybe something like 3 years, $20M with $13M guaranteed? That’s a smaller overall value than Murphy got but a little more guaranteed money. Shaq feels like a more dependable option than Murphy. 

Shaq and Murphy will both be gone after this season. DE needs help in the offseason or sooner. Let's just hope that nothing happens to Hughes.

20 minutes ago, vincec said:

Shaq and Murphy will both be gone after this season. DE needs help in the offseason or sooner. Let's just hope that nothing happens to Hughes.

It can't be soon enough. Charade is over.