Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

15 minutes ago, Magox said:

Even if we were to accept the premise that Whaley didn't have any say in that draft, which is laughable and at the very least he was in charge of the scouting and set up the draft board to determine the best players at each position.   But just for shiznits and giggles, lets just say that Rex was in charge of the entire draft and Whaley had no to very little say, then it goes back to the point that I've been making for a while now, part of the job of an effective GM is to be able to sell your vision to ownership.  Ownership has to believe in your gameplan, if they don't believe in your gameplan, then if you are a self-respecting and not desperate to have a GM-job-in-name then you shouldn't even accept those conditions and resign.     Then to top it all off, if you did accept the diminished responsibility but you were the "GM", then it sets yourself up not just for failure but it hurts your GM prospects or other high level administrative positions in the league.   

Where is Whaley today?  The XFL?    You think if you were to have asked him 3 years ago what would he think if he knew that that he'd be fired as GM of the Bills, couldn't immediately get hired to any meaningful NFL exec position and had to settle to going to the XFL 3 years later, do you think that would have been almost worst case scenario?   I think so.

Is he aware that essentially the entire scouting staff that put in the work and setup the draft board for Shaq to be picked is no longer with the Bills?   Asking for a friend

Amen brotha! Another mistake he made was when Russ Brandon said not to let Rex out of the building- that snake had too much say. Whaley was doomed to fail under these type conditions. He should of resigned to live to fight another day.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update
17 minutes ago, Magox said:

Is he aware that essentially the entire scouting staff that put in the work and setup the draft board for Shaq to be picked is no longer with the Bills?   Asking for a friend

The tweet itself does not appear to be directed at the Bills, just a general statement. Of course, I am not a twitterer.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

How bout a Hughes extension and maybe draft a couple edge guys next year?

...why not?...cleaned up the dumb penalties and has upped his game.....denial from TBD "stat rats" forthcoming because he doesn't have a dozen sacks in his role.....think two years is reasonable in the mid teens per year?.........

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

It simply isn't prudent to pay a player significantly more than their playing level, based on the hope that a player can play better in the future than they have in past four years.  If Lawson is a rare player that can elevate his game significantly between year 4 and 5, then the Bills got this one wrong.  If Lawson continues to be who he has been, then they got it right and have an extra $10M available in 2020 to sign a player who is more valuable than Shaq.

Ok, but Lawson is only going in to year 4.  They can cut him without penalty after this year, unless he ends up injured on March 1.  Low risk to preserve options on a first round draft choice, who made a pretty good jump in year 3.  Obviously the Bills decision makers are closer to this and should have a better idea, but on the surface this looks very shortsighted to me, unless they have another near term plan.  

29 minutes ago, FLFan said:

This is a bad call.  The only real risk is that he gets injured this year and the are forced to pay him next year.  Guaranteed for injury, assuming he is injured at the start of the league year next year.  Otherwise, they keep their options open.  If he is lights out this year they are happy to pay him.  If not, they cut him.  Very shortsighted decision.  

This! 110 this! 

Also, if they have reservations about Shaq and his injuries, what exactly is Ansah, a beacon of immaculate health?

I would have no issue adding Ziggy, but we have no one signed at edge beyond this season and punted on Chase in the third for a RB. Again, love me some Singletary, but this seems short sighted.

....strictly opinion, but I doubt Lawson comes close to UFA offers in the range of $9-$11 mil/yr.....then again, there IS stupid money out there....so maybe he explores the UFA market, ends up in "Dry Gulch" and comes knocking at McBeane's door for a backup deal....

Hard to argue that Shaq is worth $9.4M right now. That would put him as the 3rd or 4th highest paid Bills player. Can anyone justify that? I can’t. 

I don’t think it’s out of the question that they potentially keep him around on a cheaper deal though. At worst he would be a good rotational/depth player.

And worst case, if he somehow takes a big step forward this year and the Bills can’t get a deal done, they can always tag him.... 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, if the FO and coaching is the same one that drafted him. If not, it’s not really damning in either capacity. Often the scheme fit is a reason, other times it’s the culture, etc. In this case he’s a holdover from the previous regime (the only one left drafted by Whaley, for a coach and defensive who is no longer here.) So I dont see it as damning indictment on Shaq, or on scouting. 

This very easily could have been for Conklin or anyone else did not have their option picked up. It was/is just a general statement not directed at a single player

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, if the FO and coaching is the same one that drafted him. If not, it’s not really damning in either capacity. Often the scheme fit is a reason, other times it’s the culture, etc. In this case he’s a holdover from the previous regime (the only one left drafted by Whaley, for a coach and defensive who is no longer here.) So I dont see it as damning indictment on Shaq, or on scouting. 

Especially since the Bills replaced the entire scouting and personnel staff that was here when Shaq was drafted... 

52 minutes ago, FLFan said:

The problem is, if he does earn it this year, he will be signing somewhere else.  

Not necessarily... We have all year to sign him to an extension. It's ridiculous to overpay someone because we think he could develop. Payment without proper production lead to Ryan Fitzpatrick being the face of our franchise. It doesn't work. 

18 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Ok, but Lawson is only going in to year 4.  They can cut him without penalty after this year, unless he ends up injured on March 1.  Low risk to preserve options on a first round draft choice, who made a pretty good jump in year 3.  Obviously the Bills decision makers are closer to this and should have a better idea, but on the surface this looks very shortsighted to me, unless they have another near term plan.  

The jump was from bust to average contributor. Also, its a fan made myth that where a player was drafted matters at all. 

Edited by whatdrought

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No shock at all.  Pretty obvious they were interested in an upgrade and that definitely meant his 5th year option was unlikely.

Personally, I think we sign Ansah and then try and trade Shaq like we did with Sammy after not picking up his option either.  Beane probably tries to trade Shaq whether we sign Ansah or not, just to try and get some value before letting him walk in FA.  

Sounds like Beane's M.O. But they need help at DE if they trade him.