Lawson's 5th yr option ($9.451M) declined & Ziggy update

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Definitely right to always point out context Donuts, beyond just the stark numbers.

And FWIW, I also did not mean for my list to be exclusive, as in the modern era plenty of additional finalists may be found (Jauron, Fewell, Williams, et. al). But hey, at least we never elevated Rich Kotite to our HC!! The Jets can never live that dude down, can they?  

...and man-o-man, Huds, if you ever come across what former players thought of Hank Bullough.

Whew...the great combination of being unsuccessful and not well liked.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

If the Bills sign Ziggy, I could see them trying to trade Lawson or maybe hold onto him.  He's still on a cheap rookie contract.  I think it would mean that Yarbrough would be cut.  Plus letting Lawson walk as a free agent may yield a comp pick.

Per Spotrac, Lawsons 2019 money is fully guaranteed....there's no way he gets cut, even if Ziggy comes to town....

• Like (+1) 1

From NFL.com's article on the Bill's not picking up Shaq's option...

"A stronger run defender than pass rusher, questions linger about Lawson's fit in coach Doug McDermott's defense."

?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I would have picked it up just to make yourself less desperate. With that being said, if you can negotiate a 3 or 4 year deal with him it would be a win.  Maybe something like 3 years, $20M with $13M guaranteed? That’s a smaller overall value than Murphy got but a little more guaranteed money. Shaq feels like a more dependable option than Murphy. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Especially if true that it was north of $14M

Hap, they did mention on WGR that they could exercise the option and they are only bound if he gets hurt.  If he finishes the season they can just cut him without consequences.

That said I am with you.  Plus, if he wants it let him prove he is worth it, either to the Bills or the open market at seasons end.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

...and man-o-man, Huds, if you ever come across what former players thought of Hank Bullough.

Whew...the great combination of being unsuccessful and not well liked.

What a shame. With a great HC type name like Hank, "Hammerin' Hank the Bull"(ough) would've just rolled off the tongue if his teams had been able to steamroll the division in his time...ah well. On to better times my friend. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Beane has a way different phiosophy then prior GM's

Its not JUST if you were a  player drafted by the buffalo bills that you get a 2nd contract.....you also have to be worth the money that comes with it and that contract for Shaq is EXPENSIVE.....

It does not matter if we have the money to do ti....it matters on whether he has earned it....and he hasnt

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

What a shame. With a great HC type name like Hank, "Hammerin' Hank the Bull"(ough) would've just rolled off the tongue if his teams had been able to steamroll the division in his time...ah well. On to better times my friend. 

I played against his son in high school.  The one who I believe went to Michigan, I think, and then went pro briefly.

...he was better than me.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

Oh..so now the Bills are worried about the compensatory pick formula coming into play after they just signed a bazillion FA's this offseason?  I think the writer has no clue...

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Except Sammy had real value.  Shaq could get like a 5th at best.  

Only to C.Biscuit97, Sammy never lived up to first round status and still has not; mediocre at best!

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You honestly think Whaley wanted to mess with the number 2 defense in the nfl?  Shaq was with Rex’s son in Clemson.  All players like Mario and Dareus did was complain about Rex’s system because it was completely different than Schwartz.  

I actually agree with C.Biscuit on this; Rex ruined a great defense but Whaley never lived up to expectations - still not in the NFL!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No shock at all.  Pretty obvious they were interested in an upgrade and that definitely meant his 5th year option was unlikely.

Personally, I think we sign Ansah and then try and trade Shaq like we did with Sammy after not picking up his option either.  Beane probably tries to trade Shaq whether we sign Ansah or not, just to try and get some value before letting him walk in FA.  

I am not sure they will. He is cheap, solid, depth and the pick you'd get in a trade is likely no more than we could get for him under the comp formula. I still say if there is a DE on the current roster who doesn't make the 53 it is Murphy. 

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not overpaying for average players. How refreshing. 

Brandon Beane is slowly and methodically turing the Bills into a well oiled machine.  The Bills are going to catch the league by surprise in the near future.  

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was Rex and getting players to fit his “system.”  Whaley was neutered here. 

Whaley wasn’t a strong enough leader to be a GM. He allowed himself to be cast aside and he also drafted horribly. I am glad he is gone.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

That's a fair point.  I totally agree he is NOT worth $10 mill/yr.

I think he's a good rotational player worth whatever that would be worth (I have no idea how the cap and salaries work.. they all get paid way more than me, that's all I know. :P ) and he has a chance to prove that he can be more this year and earn more money. 

• Like (+1) 1