Bills historic draft picks - 2nd contracts

With this year's draft complete and everyone high on our choices, as well as a lot of the current regimes decisions over the past 2 years, I decided to delve into the Bills draft history over the past 30 or so years, just to remember the history of hits & misses, and try to think about why we've been largely stuck in the mud since the SB era.

One can analyze our draft history in lots of different ways, most of them leading to frustration, but I decided to look at how many of our draft picks over time received 2nd contracts from the team.  There are so many reasons why we haven't been successful, with mediocre drafting being one piece of the puzzle.  But along with having constant turnover in coaching staffs and philosophies, I'm willing to bet that we have one of the lowest percentages of re-signing our draft picks since the start of the modern Free Agency era (1993).  A lot of it is "chicken vs egg" - meaning that with turnover in regimes, the new braintrust changes schemes and wants to bring in their own guys to fit them - so it does become somewhat self-fulfilling.  

Since the 1989 draft, of the 217 eligible players (meaning not counting draft picks since 2016 that are still on the team), we have only re-signed 30 of those players to 2nd contracts - 13.8%.  The most sobering truth of this number is that with the retirement of Kyle Williams, we currently have ZERO players on the roster that were drafted by the Bills and on a 2nd contract.  Hard to fathom, even with the emphasis on younger players in the new CBA.  It does appear that the current regime is trying to reverse that trend, but it takes a long time to build continuity and clear direction.

Breaking down positions - here's some additional detail:

QB - none since Jim Kelly & Frank Reich.  No need to belabor our lack of success in drafting & developing this position

RB - none since Thurman Thomas.  I know that RB is a fungible position, but how many times did we draft high only to lather, rinse, and repeat 3-4 years later?

WR - Eric Moulds, Josh Reed, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Stevie Johnson, and wait for it... Marcus Easley (!)

TE - Jay Riemersma

OL - Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Ruben Brown, and John Fina

D-Line - Marcell Dareus, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Aaron Schobel

LB - last ones were Sam Rogers, Marlo Perry, Mark Maddox & Marvcus Patton.  Long time ago, and not a star to be found there

DB - Aaron Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Terrance McGee, Nate Clements, Ken Irvin, Kurt Schulz, Henry Jones

Going back and looking at the guys we drafted but didn't re-sign, it always felt like we were either up against the cap, or didn't really value the guys that we had.  It's tough because you don't want to overpay for talent, but you then have to draft their replacements or end up overpaying in Free Agency anyways.  A look back at guys from previous drafts that we didn't re-sign:

2012 - Stephon Gilmore - big $, but should have been kept

2009 - Andy Levitre - got paid, but how much have we churned the line since then?  He's still in the league

2007 - Marshawn Lynch - yes, he had issues, but what did we really gain by drafting CJ Spiller in 2010

2007 - Paul Posluszny - not a great player, but ended up playing 11 years in the league

2006 - Donte Whitner - see previous comment

2003 - Willis McGahee - similar to Marshawn, another 11 year player in the league

2002 - Justin Bannan - never a great player, but bounced around as depth for 12 seasons

2001 - Ron Edwards - same comment, another 12 year vet

2000 - Sammy Morris - 12 years in the league - highly valued by the Pats on ST

1999 - Antoine Winfield - 14 seasons - think we should have kept him?

1997 - Marcellus Wiley - again, we were up against the cap at the time, but should have been kept

1994 - Jeff Burris - wanted too much money, but played 10 years

1993 - Thomas Smith - same comment as Burris

1993 - Corbin Lacina - never more than a stopgap starter, but played for 11 years

So here's to hoping that even if our most recent picks don't all end up as stars, that we continue to develop them, and maybe hang on to a few.  Depth and continuity are still to be valued, and hanging on to your own guys helps them know that they are valued by the team and not just counting the time until someone else pays them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yup.  I said this around here a few days ago.  And it's not just because the players they draft aren't good (though that's part of it) - it's because they draft at non-premium positions like RB and RT which just don't make sense to extend.  You can easily fill those positions on the cheap in the FA market.  It's a fundamentally flawed approach to roster building, even more than poor scouting and development, that has caused this pattern.

And I'm concerned they've repeated themselves with this last draft.  Selecting Ford and Singletary at 2 and 3 were hits down the fairway for a GM who probably needed to think a bit bolder, but even worse, those are simply not premium positions and there is a good chance - like Shaq Lawson, a DE who can't rush the passer - that neither of them sees a second contract.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 6

13 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Nice work thank you.

An obvious omission is Andre Reed.

Yes - I went back to 1985 draft picks - only wanted to count those drafted from 1989 onward, as 1993 would have been the first year that they would have started receiving second contracts.  Also didn't count others such as Bruce Smith, Will Wolford, Nate Odomes, Keith McKeller, and Mark Pike - who got second contracts before the onset of modern free agency in 1993

• Like (+1) 1

at first glance this blows my mind and makes me think no one really does wanna play in buffalo.

do we know how this compares to other teams?  % kept in that time and number of 2nd contract draftees on roster?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, colin said:

at first glance this blows my mind and makes me think no one really does wanna play in buffalo.

do we know how this compares to other teams?  % kept in that time and number of 2nd contract draftees on roster?

I've given some thought to compiling this type of analysis, but would require a pretty big effort.  At least for the Bills, I know or can easily reference who we kept and why.

I don't think it has as much to do with not wanting to play in Buffalo as much as management not having the right strategy toward team building and/or constant turnover, and not wanting to overpay for commensurate talent & production.  

Players will stay if they're valued and paid

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Yes - I went back to 1985 draft picks - only wanted to count those drafted from 1989 onward, as 1993 would have been the first year that they would have started receiving second contracts.  Also didn't count others such as Bruce Smith, Will Wolford, Nate Odomes, Keith McKeller, and Mark Pike - who got second contracts before the onset of modern free agency in 1993

Understand.

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

With this year's draft complete and everyone high on our choices, as well as a lot of the current regimes decisions over the past 2 years, I decided to delve into the Bills draft history over the past 30 or so years, just to remember the history of hits & misses, and try to think about why we've been largely stuck in the mud since the SB era.

One can analyze our draft history in lots of different ways, most of them leading to frustration, but I decided to look at how many of our draft picks over time received 2nd contracts from the team.  There are so many reasons why we haven't been successful, with mediocre drafting being one piece of the puzzle.  But along with having constant turnover in coaching staffs and philosophies, I'm willing to bet that we have one of the lowest percentages of re-signing our draft picks since the start of the modern Free Agency era (1993).  A lot of it is "chicken vs egg" - meaning that with turnover in regimes, the new braintrust changes schemes and wants to bring in their own guys to fit them - so it does become somewhat self-fulfilling.  

Since the 1989 draft, of the 217 eligible players (meaning not counting draft picks since 2016 that are still on the team), we have only re-signed 30 of those players to 2nd contracts - 13.8%.  The most sobering truth of this number is that with the retirement of Kyle Williams, we currently have ZERO players on the roster that were drafted by the Bills and on a 2nd contract.  Hard to fathom, even with the emphasis on younger players in the new CBA.  It does appear that the current regime is trying to reverse that trend, but it takes a long time to build continuity and clear direction.

Breaking down positions - here's some additional detail:

QB - none since Jim Kelly & Frank Reich.  No need to belabor our lack of success in drafting & developing this position

RB - none since Thurman Thomas.  I know that RB is a fungible position, but how many times did we draft high only to lather, rinse, and repeat 3-4 years later?

WR - Eric Moulds, Josh Reed, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, Stevie Johnson, and wait for it... Marcus Easley (!)

TE - Jay Riemersma

OL - Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Ruben Brown, and John Fina

D-Line - Marcell Dareus, Chris Kelsay, Ryan Denney, Aaron Schobel

LB - last ones were Sam Rogers, Marlo Perry, Mark Maddox & Marvcus Patton.  Long time ago, and not a star to be found there

DB - Aaron Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Terrance McGee, Nate Clements, Ken Irvin, Kurt Schulz, Henry Jones

Going back and looking at the guys we drafted but didn't re-sign, it always felt like we were either up against the cap, or didn't really value the guys that we had.  It's tough because you don't want to overpay for talent, but you then have to draft their replacements or end up overpaying in Free Agency anyways.  A look back at guys from previous drafts that we didn't re-sign:

2012 - Stephon Gilmore - big $, but should have been kept

2009 - Andy Levitre - got paid, but how much have we churned the line since then?  He's still in the league

2007 - Marshawn Lynch - yes, he had issues, but what did we really gain by drafting CJ Spiller in 2010

2007 - Paul Posluszny - not a great player, but ended up playing 11 years in the league

2006 - Donte Whitner - see previous comment

2003 - Willis McGahee - similar to Marshawn, another 11 year player in the league

2002 - Justin Bannan - never a great player, but bounced around as depth for 12 seasons

2001 - Ron Edwards - same comment, another 12 year vet

2000 - Sammy Morris - 12 years in the league - highly valued by the Pats on ST

1999 - Antoine Winfield - 14 seasons - think we should have kept him?

1997 - Marcellus Wiley - again, we were up against the cap at the time, but should have been kept

1994 - Jeff Burris - wanted too much money, but played 10 years

1993 - Thomas Smith - same comment as Burris

1993 - Corbin Lacina - never more than a stopgap starter, but played for 11 years

So here's to hoping that even if our most recent picks don't all end up as stars, that we continue to develop them, and maybe hang on to a few.  Depth and continuity are still to be valued, and hanging on to your own guys helps them know that they are valued by the team and not just counting the time until someone else pays them.

Whats notable is we were always up against the cap based off of free agent acquisitions.  Which usually doesn't equate to wins.  

I did hear in a podcast today where the Bengals have the most homegrown talent on their roster with something like 36 players being guys they drafted/brought into the league... Doesn't always prove to be a metric of success. 

That being said, that list is pretty damning. Hopefully that trend shifts when we make Tre White the highest paid CB in the NFL (When he's the best in 2 years)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yup.  I said this around here a few days ago.  And it's not just because the players they draft aren't good (though that's part of it) - it's because they draft at non-premium positions like RB and RT which just don't make sense to extend.  You can easily fill those positions on the cheap in the FA market.  It's a fundamentally flawed approach to roster building, even more than poor scouting and development, that has caused this pattern.

And I'm concerned they've repeated themselves with this last draft.  Selecting Ford and Singletary at 2 and 3 were hits down the fairway for a GM who probably needed to think a bit bolder, but even worse, those are simply not premium positions and there is a good chance - like Shaq Lawson, a DE who can't rush the passer - that neither of them sees a second contract.

I totally agree with the premium positions point but I actually don't mind the Ford selection this year with the strengths or otherwise of this draft at the point we went on the clock in round 2 - although for it to work I think he has to be successful at RT. If he ends up inside at guard that does further damage to the positional value I think. 

The other factor for the Bills is the constant regime change. Take Stephon Gilmore as a classic example. Picked early in the draft. Premium position and played very well in 4 of his 5 seasons with the Bills. However, he was drafted by one GM, his 5th year option was extender by another and while that other was still notionaly in charge when they chose to let him walk we all know he wasnt really so another regime made the decision. He played for 3 Head Coaches in his 5 years here, and it was a 4th who made the decision not to retain him. In terms of defensive coordinators he played for basically 5 in 5 years:- Wannsted, Pettine, Schwartz, Thurman and defacto DC Rob Ryan in his final year. By the time the decision was being made a 6th defensive coordinator - Leslie Frazier - was on deck. With that much regime churn, coaching churn, coordinator churn (and that is without position coaches) it is little wonder our numbers are so low. 

I am hopeful this regime will be here for a fair few years to come.... certainly long enough to retain their first wave of drafted players: Tre White, Matt Milano, Dion Dawkins - all of whom I would expect the Bills to try and retain and hopefully Allen and Edmunds after that as well. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dont you think a big part of the problem is how the teams were built?  It seems like from a Cap situation, when players did perform, there were many times when the team would have loved to sign them but couldn’t pay their market value.  

16 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Great post. I remember this same discussion when Andy Levitre was let go. The Bills didn't want to pay the market rate for a good OG because the position was easy to fill. Well, then why did you draft one in the second round if you weren't going to keep him if he became good?

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, vincec said:

Great post. I remember this same discussion when Andy Levitre was let go. The Bills didn't want to pay the market rate for a good OG because the position was easy to fill. Well, then why did you draft one in the second round if you weren't going to keep him if he became good?

Again, with Levitre - regime change was an issue. Chan was a zone blocking scheme guy and Levitre is a very good zone blocker. As Levitre's deal came up Marrone had just taken over as Head Coach and wanted to much more of a power run game and they were then left asking not only do you want to pay big $$s to a non premium position but also do you want to pay big $$s for a guy in a non premium position to play in a scheme he is less of a fit for?

In the end the Titans did pay him big money and did try and use him in a power scheme in which he struggled (he wasn't bad as such he was just an average NFL guard being paid like a great one). They decided to cut their losses after two years and he wound up in Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan's zone stretch scheme, refound his best form and helped the Falcons make the Superbowl.

So yet again it is a combination of the two..... drafting too many non premium positions with early picks and then changing regimes so often that those guys don't fit for the money they want when it comes to extending them.

• Like (+1) 2

Bottom line ... I believe the "process" assuming (better said hoping) they stay in place is savvy enough to resign their own players.  Pegula has shown he can be swayed to sign checks (see Darius contract ... ouch) ... I agree they should pull forward White and extend him out early.

22 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Bottom line ... I believe the "process" assuming (better said hoping) they stay in place is savvy enough to resign their own players.  Pegula has shown he can be swayed to sign checks (see Darius contract ... ouch) ... I agree they should pull forward White and extend him out early.

They can't extend White until after this season. Players must play 3 years before the eligible for the extension. The downside of extending him before his 4th year is that at the moment Tre is slated to make $3.2m in 2020. If you extend him a year early you have an extra year of him being an expensive player as opposed to an inexpensive one. With a player like Tre as well you are not benefitting from tying him down before he "breaks out." I'm not a big believer in that anyway though, because as soon as a player does have a shock "break out" year they come back and renegotiate in any event so not sure that it ever saves you that much. So the benefit of extending Tre early is the essentially two fold:

1. You generate good will with the player. You are more likely to get a small home town discount by going to a player in the first offseason that the rules allow you to, telling him he is critical to your future and offering him a lot of money to stay a Bill than if you string him out and make it a protracted negotiation.

2. In terms of culture it sends a message to others in your own locker room and the players and agents of players to come: "If you perform in Buffalo they do the right thing and you get paid."

With what we know about this regime I can see point 2 of that being a significant factor for them. It is essentially the balance of that vs losing one year of a close to elite player at a cost of next to nothing. I'll be interested to see how the Bills handle the next offseason because I suspect they will also want to extend Milano and, if he has anything like a bounce back year, Dion Dawkins who will both be heading into contract years (whereas with Tre you have the extra leverage of the 5th year option). It will be the first test for this regime in terms of how they really want to build this thing longer term. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to extend White before the end of 2020 training camp, but equally I can see the argument for delaying another year too.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I could very well be wrong but I do not think we re-signed Clements. Wasn't he franchised for 1 year?