Grading the Draft Graders?....

Obviously we all know that draft grades are useless... But I found a great example of the Anti-Buffalo bias while reading this article... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029111/article/afc-east-draft-grades-patriots-ace-test-nice-haul-for-bills

This is what an A looks like: 

BREAKING: Bill Belichick knows how to collect talent. He did as fine a job of it as anyone in the 2019 draft, entering with a league-high 12 selections and leaving with 10 picks that are hard to quarrel with (... although we will in a second, because we don't take the easy way out, here). Harry isn't the fastest or most explosive receiver, but he is a big, physical target who can be a go-to guy on third down and in the red zone. The team needed that in the wake of Rob Gronkowski's retirement. Brandt called him a Michael Irvin type, and the former Cowboys executive drafted Irvin back in '88. He knows of what he speaks. However, the real work of art by New England in this draft lies in how it navigated the board for its next couple of picks. The Pats traded up to land a CB with rare size in Williams, and somehow the aforementioned Winovich fell into their lap in Round 3. Harris is a really solid addition who can pick up tough yards, catch the ball and pass-protect. Dante Scarnecchia will probably develop Cajuste into an All-Pro. Now, as for the quarreling -- they didn't pick a tight end, which was not surprising (it's so Belichick to not address the position that seems to be in such obvious need of addressing). However, it leaves the team with the rag-tag group of Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Stephen Anderson, Matt LaCosse and Ryan Izzo on the depth chart. Also, it's not always advisable to spend a pick on a punter, but we'll give New England the benefit of the doubt with the Bailey selection.

And this is what an A- looks like:

I made my feelings about the Oliver pick known earlier in this piece. That's one of the best selections in the entire draft. Bravo, Bills. They shrewdly shifted their focus back to adding help for second-year QB Josh Allen with the next three picks, building a very solid foundation to their draft class and a fine coda to what's been a strong offseason for the front office. Ford was a first-round value early in Round 2, so the club traded up a couple spots for him, giving up just a fifth-rounder in the swap. (The Bills had even considered trading back into Round 1 for him on Thursday night.) He has the versatility to start at guard or right tackle. Singletary's timed speed didn't help him during the evaluation process, but he'll be a good complementary piece in a rotation that includesLeSean McCoy, Frank Gore and T.J. Yeldon. Think Kyle Rudolph when it comes to Knox, per NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein. That's the cherry on top of the team's quality work in the first two days of the draft, and Buffalo added some promising depth on Day 3, including the speedy Joseph. Now, it would have been nice to throw another physical receiver with size into the mix -- Kelvin Harmon in Round 6, perhaps? -- but all in all, this is a nice haul.

Please explain to me how one is an A- and one is an A... They're almost identical in their assessments and I  think the argument could be made that not addressing the biggest need in the draft is probably not a great thing to do... 

You Mr. Parr get an F. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I didn't like N'Keal Harry during the run up to the Draft and the Patriots drafting him confirmed it for me. When's the last time they drafted a WR and it worked out? They're the Anti-Steelers in that regard. 

On the flip side I loved Diontae Johnson during the lead up to the Draft and the Steelers drafting him confirmed to me he's going to be a stud. LOL!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Also, it's not always advisable to spend a pick on a punter, but we'll give New England the benefit of the doubt with the Bailey selection."

The thing is there is a grading bias in favor of the Patriots and a couple other teams.  And that bias may be justified based on the fact that these team has been successful based on wins and losses along with championships.  You've been successful in the past the expectation is that will continue.  That might or might not be true.  In reality it's a just an opinion based on the graders preconceived opinions about specific players and how they ranked them.  Your draft aligns with their thinking you get an 'A'.  You deviate, your grade drops.  Draft grading is like a college course were the professor wants you to answer the questions by telling him what he told you the right answer is vs. telling him what you think the right answer is. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Obviously we all know that draft grades are useless... But I found a great example of the Anti-Buffalo bias while reading this article... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029111/article/afc-east-draft-grades-patriots-ace-test-nice-haul-for-bills

This is what an A looks like: 

And this is what an A- looks like:

Please explain to me how one is an A- and one is an A... They're almost identical in their assessments and I  think the argument could be made that not addressing the biggest need in the draft is probably not a great thing to do... 

You Mr. Parr get an F. 

Ahhhh Did he hurt your feelings??  Poor Baby!!

It's his opinion, just like it's your opinion that INTERPRETATION  of the two paragraphs say they same thing.  The first one stated " However, the real work of art by New England in this draft lies in how it navigated the board for its next couple of picks." The Bills did none of that so for the first paragraph this was worth the A and is more valuable than what the Bills did and didn't do.  They are not the same, but you choose to put on your Bills colored glasses and somehow come to the conclusion they are the same and then get all upset because the writer didn't see it that way.

So wheres' your intellectual honesty?  There is none except you choose to read words that fit your narrative.

The more of this stuff you read and listen to the more it confirms that these guys are just tossing ***** at a target and hoping something sticks. You really have to just enjoy it for what it is but always remember that just because they're being paid to churn this stuff out, it doesn't mean they really know what they're talking about.

I was recently watching some Colin Cowherd youtube stuff regarding Josh Allen. It's HILARIOUS to watch now (seriously, go and look). In one (pre-draft) he says the Browns are idiots because they will draft Allen number 1, then says the Giants are smart and will take Darnold (guarantees it). This is especially funny after the pick the Giants made last week.

In another video he says Rosen is the absolute best pick in that draft and will be a revelation for Arizona (again, really funny now they traded him for a 2nd).

Then there's a great one where he's part a discussion answering the question "is it crazy to compare Allen to Newton?" This is before Allen had played a game in the NFL, Cowherd starts laughing and saying he's not close to being the athlete Newton is. Then another tool on the panel says Allen isn't even as athletic as Big Ben.

My point is, it's good to have so many experts around now, because you get twice the enjoyment: the first time round you read or listen and react however you react, then the second time round you get to laugh at a guy like Cowherd for being so completely wrong.

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bills fans are too sensitive.

Just win then you will see more favorable treatment from media.

Dude, you’re so wrong.  The media is just jealous of all of the Bills’ success the last 18 years and just hate us because we make so many good choices.  Fake news!

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

The more of this stuff you read and listen to the more it confirms that these guys are just tossing ***** at a target and hoping something sticks. You really have to just enjoy it for what it is but always remember that just because they're being paid to churn this stuff out, it doesn't mean they really know what they're talking about.

I was recently watching some Colin Cowherd youtube stuff regarding Josh Allen. It's HILARIOUS to watch now (seriously, go and look). In one (pre-draft) he says the Browns are idiots because they will draft Allen number 1, then says the Giants are smart and will take Darnold (guarantees it). This is especially funny after the pick the Giants made last week.

In another video he says Rosen is the absolute best pick in that draft and will be a revelation for Arizona (again, really funny now they traded him for a 2nd).

Then there's a great one where he's part a discussion answering the question "is it crazy to compare Allen to Newton?" This is before Allen had played a game in the NFL, Cowherd starts laughing and saying he's not close to being the athlete Newton is. Then another tool on the panel says Allen isn't even as athletic as Big Ben.

My point is, it's good to have so many experts around now, because you get twice the enjoyment: the first time round you read or listen and react however you react, then the second time round you get to laugh at a guy like Cowherd for being so completely wrong.

It’s been a year. 

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I didn't like N'Keal Harry during the run up to the Draft and the Patriots drafting him confirmed it for me. When's the last time they drafted a WR and it worked out? They're the Anti-Steelers in that regard. 

On the flip side I loved Diontae Johnson during the lead up to the Draft and the Steelers drafting him confirmed to me he's going to be a stud. LOL!

I loved Harry and hated the Pats picked him.  While receiver definitely seems to be a weakness of the Pats, they drafted Edelman and Gronk, who is better than most wrs.  

And maybe, and this is crazy, the team that has won 6 SBs in like 15 years gets more benefit of the doubt than the Bills.  But it’s probably just MSM conspiracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You Mr. Parr get an F. 

I think F is harsh. It's a solid B+ effort.

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Ahhhh Did he hurt your feelings??  Poor Baby!!

It's his opinion, just like it's your opinion that INTERPRETATION  of the two paragraphs say they same thing.  The first one stated " However, the real work of art by New England in this draft lies in how it navigated the board for its next couple of picks." The Bills did none of that so for the first paragraph this was worth the A and is more valuable than what the Bills did and didn't do.  They are not the same, but you choose to put on your Bills colored glasses and somehow come to the conclusion they are the same and then get all upset because the writer didn't see it that way.

So wheres' your intellectual honesty?  There is none except you choose to read words that fit your narrative.

How dare you interpret my words to fit your narrative and accuse me of interpreting his words to fit mine!!

Oh look, we’re in a circle. 

I asked how the two were different, you pointed it out, while acting like a schmuck. Congratulations. I still disagree with your assessment and his, but now I know that you take things way too seriously. 

Not exactly sure what sports writers are supposed to do...

Everything related to the draft is about predicting and speculating.  It really doesn't mean anything until the guys step on the field.

This year, the Bills are getting lots of praise from the media.  They drafted highly ranked players, and in most cases got them lower than they were expected to go.

Last year, they got mixed opinions based on what writers thought about Josh Allen.

The same fans who were upset about Allen getting bad grades last year, have absolutely no problem ridiculing the Giants for Daniel Jones.