TBN: Way-too-early 53-man roster projection

5 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

At the risk of being obvious, teams carry 6 WRs mainly because guys get hurt during the game.  Also if a team runs a 3 WR set or 4 WR set, they get winded and need a break.  The WR 6 spot is usually a return guy and doesn't see the field much as a receiver.

Yeah I agree. That is why people should not over think this. Its likely Andre Roberts or whoever wins the KR/PR job. But we should not expect much if any offensive production from a WR 6. Maybe a few catches if someone gets injured. Every team has injuries, but look around the league and see the stats as you go down the roster to the 6th WR on teams and its a handful or less of catches.

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly like this projection.  I feel like this 53 man roster maximizes talent & potential.

Perhaps Daboll runs more 2-TE sets, and in a run heavy offense where all the RB's can flex out as pass catchers, we may not need a WR6.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His snap count was way down to 15% last year.

No extra FB is signed yet to come to camp.  Previous years another FB was brought in.  This may not seem important but if Daboll is

running an offense that is using a FB often enough to justify one on the roster they would need another in camp just to run the scheme.

A lot of DiMarco's snaps were in short yardage situations as a lead blocker.  Having Gore fill that role is likely and I submit even better

because instead to using the blocking FB as a blocker only you could handoff to Gore too.

DiMarco had 1 carry last year.  He had 4 targets as a receiver and I think Gore can handle that workload too.

Frank Gore will need to get snaps to justify his worth and eating a few of DiMarco's just seems logical.

Knox could also be used in place of DiMarco.

I would think fisher could fill the lead blocker role too.  

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

WR: Here is the question. How much are we really throwing the ball next yea? There are only so many balls to go around. Last year including KB the #6 WR on the roster caught 3 passes. PIT, GB and Indy threw the ball the most times in the league and even they did not have a #6 WR catching the ball. 

OL: We will def keep more than that. 

The issue is if you like sills or williams or anyone else as a future contributor - putting them on the PS exposes them.  Same goes for carrying a 5th end etc.

Does a FB get you anymore wins this year?  If the answer is no - you may have to sacrifice him to ensure you're keeping someone you value a lot.

1 minute ago, PirateHookerMD said:

I don't think they keep all of those interior lineman, nor Demarco. Bush also questionable. 

We didn't really replace bush with another big nickel safety so it's hard to say we dont need him.  He played in about 40% of snaps last year.

We carried 9 oline last year - and the number looks the same here.  If dawkins or ford moves interior i could see moving on from one - likely teller due to financial commitment and the fact that i don't see him outplaying Spain for the LG starting spot.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The issue is if you like sills or williams or anyone else as a future contributor - putting them on the PS exposes them.  Same goes for carrying a 5th end etc.

Does a FB get you anymore wins this year?  If the answer is no - you may have to sacrifice him to ensure you're keeping someone you value a lot.

Great point on Fisher. 

How can you even begin to unravel the roster at this point, and I get it, it did say "way too early" in the OP.  However, to me it seems easier to project what is not going to happen rather than what will.  For instance, CB1 is set, SS 1, FS 1, are set, QB 1, all set, RB 1, RB 2, set.  WR 1, 2, set, DE, and DT 3T, all set, MLB 1, set, this means that there is a ton of positions not set at OL, DL, LB, CB, TE, RB (3, 4, 5) and WR 3, 4, 5, 6 (7)..

I am excited to see who is ready to compete this year, will be fun to watch!

Tim-

35 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think they keep Duke Williams. People keep overlooking him.

Hard to get any read on the guy until he goes up against nfl competition. 

My roster:

QB: Allen, Anderson, Barkley

RB: McCoy, DiMarco, Gore, Yeldon, Singletary

WR/TE: Brown, Jones, Beasley, Kroft, Foster, Roberts, McCloud, Knox, Croom

OL: Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Ford, Nsekhe, Long, Teller, Waddle, Feliciano

DL: Phillips, Oliver, Murphy, Hughes, LotuleleiLawson, Phillips, Yarbrough

LB: Milano, Edmunds, Alexander, Harold, V Joseph, Lacey, Stanford

DB: White, K Johnson, Hyde, Poyer, Gaines, Alexander, T Johnson, Bush, Wallace

SPEC: Hauschka, Bojorquez, Ferguson

I'm pretty certain the Bills like DiMarco and he will be on the 53. The displeasure from fans with his play has never been reflected by Beane or McDermott. They view him as a leader.

The ignored elephant in the room is injuries, which is understandable in this early projection. I can see DA being offered a coaching gig where he could ‘come out of retirement’ in a pinch. Personally, I think he’s washed up as a player. A bump on the head sends him to season long IR? Granted, we have some nasty mats in the training room, but he was invisible on the field. DiMarco is a quandary. Does anyone really know the reason he’s still on the team. Kyle showed effectiveness in goal line, so EddieO could do that. Saying this, yes, the Marcus Murphy/Keith Ford era is over. I’m convinced we keep 6 WRs, with Roberts main focus on STs. I expect at least one FA OL won’t make it & think Skurski hits this one dead on. Duke is very intriguing. IF.. then he stays. PS will provide a home for borderline younguns. 

Have to keep 6 WRs.  John Brown and Cole Beasley are a sneeze away from injury..  Does Roberts ever run routes?

cut Stanford, DiMarco, croom or Fisher and possibly Neal.  Neal and Johnson battle it out.  Maybe even Waddle if Dawkins and Ford start at tackle.  

Edited by NewEra

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

DiMarco would be way more important to the every down offense than the 6th WR.  The 6th WR's only true value would be as a special teams contributor. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

DiMarco is getting cut for sure. We will carry 4 RBs.  And there will definitely be 6 WRs on this roster. I think 3 TEs Jake Fisher or Croom will be released. Tommy Sweeney on practice roster and can come on the active roster if needed. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Replace DiMarco with a 6th receiver on Offense.

The DE I agree with but the final depth of DT, LB, CB and S will be the winners of an intense camp battles for those positions.

Way too early to tell who rises.

Punter is too early to tell.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's the Daboll scheme which may not have use for a full time FB roster spot that I think may be happening.

Other teams that do not carry a FB still have to have players that take on lead blocking.

Some use a TE/HB or the bigger RB or even a DL/OL.

I'm going to keep an eye open to see if another FB comes to camp.

We'll have to see how it goes but I think it's pretty obvious that Frank Gore will be lining up on 3rd and short.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

We didn't really replace bush with another big nickel safety so it's hard to say we dont need him.  He played in about 40% of snaps last year.

We carried 9 oline last year - and the number looks the same here.  If dawkins or ford moves interior i could see moving on from one - likely teller due to financial commitment and the fact that i don't see him outplaying Spain for the LG starting spot.  

They bought in some solid blocking tight ends.  Line the up at fullback when you need on make all the sense in the world. It gives the offense, more looks, more versatility and the ability to give one look with and end out wide then motion to a power run. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's my guess for now

Position Number            
QB 3 Josh Allen Matt Barkley Derek Anderson      
RB 4 LeSean McCoy Frank Gore TJ Yeldon Devin Singletary    
FB 1 Patrick DiMarco          
WR 6 John Brown Cole Beasley Robert Foster Andre Roberts Zay Jones Duke Williams
TE 3 Tyler Kroft Dawson Knox Jason Croom      
OT 4 Dion Dawkins Cody Ford Ty Nsekhe LaAdrian Waddle    
OG 4 Spencer Long Quinton Spain Jon Feliciano Wyatt Teller    
C 1 Mitch Morse          
Offense 26            

DE 4 Jerry Hughes Trent Murphy Shaq Lawson Eli Harold    
DT 4 Star Lotulelei Ed Oliver Harrison Phillips Jordan Phillips    
OLB 4 Lorenzo Alexander Matt Milano Vosean Joseph Maurice Alexander    
ILB 2 Tremaine Edmunds Julian Stanford        
S 4 Micah Hyde Jordan Poyer Siran Neal Jaquan Johnson    
CB 6 EJ Gaines Kevin Johnson Taron Johnson Ryan Lewis Levi Wallace Tre'Davious White
Defense 24            

K 1 Stephen Hauschka          
P 1 Corey Bojorquez          
LS 1 Reid Ferguson          
ST 3            
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Here's my guess for now

Position Number            
QB 3 Josh Allen Matt Barkley Derek Anderson      
RB 4 LeSean McCoy Frank Gore TJ Yeldon Devin Singletary    
FB 1 Patrick DiMarco          
WR 6 John Brown Cole Beasley Robert Foster Andre Roberts Zay Jones Duke Williams
TE 3 Tyler Kroft Dawson Knox Jason Croom      
OT 4 Dion Dawkins Cody Ford Ty Nsekhe LaAdrian Waddle    
OG 4 Spencer Long Quinton Spain Jon Feliciano Wyatt Teller    
C 1 Mitch Morse          
Offense 26            

DE 4 Jerry Hughes Trent Murphy Shaq Lawson Eli Harold    
DT 4 Star Lotulelei Ed Oliver Harrison Phillips Jordan Phillips    
OLB 4 Lorenzo Alexander Matt Milano Vosean Joseph Maurice Alexander    
ILB 2 Tremaine Edmunds Julian Stanford        
S 4 Micah Hyde Jordan Poyer Siran Neal Jaquan Johnson    
CB 6 EJ Gaines Kevin Johnson Taron Johnson Ryan Lewis Levi Wallace Tre'Davious White
Defense 24            

K 1 Stephen Hauschka          
P 1 Corey Bojorquez          
LS 1 Reid Ferguson          
ST 3            

I like it - Duke Williams seems like he could worst case contribute on special teams.  

For once, the Bills have some good problems, even before possible free agent/June 1 additions.  

However, any free agent signing could be a challenge.  Even upgrades at CB2, second string LB or second/third string Safety could be difficult at a reasonable price.  

Right now, DE might the one position I could see spending a lot to plug in a new, clear cut starter and then cut Lawson.  Would need to be something special but that player doesn't seem to exist (and even if he wasn't hurt, I don't think Ansah is that guy ).  

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

DiMarco would be way more important to the every down offense than the 6th WR.  The 6th WR's only true value would be as a special teams contributor. 

If it was actually 6 WR. But really what his breakdown has is 4 WR's and a KR. I'd rather have sills or someone with Gore playing the Dimarco role that he had last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

DiMarco is serviceable at best. Not many teams have a FB anymore. I say line up. TE at have back when needed. Carrying 6 WRs is a better way to go imo.