TBN: Way-too-early 53-man roster projection

Jay Skurski's way-too-early Bills 53-man roster projection

The Buffalo Bills won’t play a football game that counts for another four-plus months.

That’s a good thing, because it might take that long to sort out who should be on the team’s final 53-man roster.

"I don't know the order how a lot of these positions – whether it's O-line, receiver, tight end, running back – I don't know how it's going to shake out,” General Manager Brandon Beane said. “In time, we'll figure that out.”

Dating back to the start of unrestricted free agency and continuing through last weekend’s NFL draft, Beane has acquired a whopping 26 new players. Most, but not all, have a good chance to make the team.

“We’ve added players that we feel are improvements to our roster,” the GM said. “But it’s not just accumulating talent, it’s building a team. We like what we’ve added. Now, it’s trying to build this thing and getting these guys in here. Now that we’ve added these rookies, it’s a new group that we have to get to know what they do well. … Still a long way to go. I think I’ll have a better idea of how we look in about a month.”

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/01/buffalo-bills-roster-projection-nfl-jay-skurski/

Surprises:

Only 5 WRs on the roster 

he kept DiMarco

eli Harold cut

• Sad 1

Love that we're carrying 2 Oline from 2018 into 2019.  9 Oline is awesome too - especially with ford/dawkins having some positionally flexibility.  Long active game days as a backup Center unless he can win a job.  Spain and feliciano coming in trying to earn playing time too.  

I could see cutting dimarco and carrying another WR.  Or same with Fisher.  Dimarco brings some special teams value and I'm not sure Fisher would bring the same value there.  Either way - lose dimarco and you can probably bring fisher in as a FB in goal line work. 

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yuck. Please don't keep Dimarco at the expense of a 6th WR. 

Also, if DA retires, can we give him a job the same day as a coaching intern or something? I know that's unlikely, but it seems like a perfect solution. 

I think it all depends on how Jackson plays in the preseason.  If he looks terrible we can probably leave him on the practice squad.  If he's lighting it up it may be more of an issue on how we could keep him.  

As for Dimarco - i wrote it above... no need for him and fisher.  If we're only using dimarco in goalline work that should be easy enough to get fisher up to speed.  If we're planning to use him more (doubtful) i would just cut fisher.  

Edited by dneveu

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Also, if DA retires, can we give him a job the same day as a coaching intern or something? I know that's unlikely, but it seems like a perfect solution. 

DiMarco would be way more important to the every down offense than the 6th WR.  The 6th WR's only true value would be as a special teams contributor. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Not only that, in the TL;DR blurb at the end of the article he says:
"The final spot in this projection comes down to a sixth running back (Perry) or receiver (McKenzie), a fifth defensive end (Harold) or a fifth safety, with Neal being the choice"

Obviously, that would be six running backs? insane. 

Personally, I think we run with 7 WR's next season

The main 5 (Robert Foster, John Brown, Cole Beasley, Andre Roberts and Zay) and a Gadget Option + Big Target (McKenzie or Vic Bolden) and (David Sills or Duke Williams)

• Like (+1) 1

DiMarco is getting cut for sure. We will carry 4 RBs.  And there will definitely be 6 WRs on this roster. I think 3 TEs Jake Fisher or Croom will be released. Tommy Sweeney on practice roster and can come on the active roster if needed. 

18 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

DiMarco would be way more important to the every down offense than the 6th WR.  The 6th WR's only true value would be as a special teams contributor. 

His snap count was way down to 15% last year.

No extra FB is signed yet to come to camp.  Previous years another FB was brought in.  This may not seem important but if Daboll is

running an offense that is using a FB often enough to justify one on the roster they would need another in camp just to run the scheme.

A lot of DiMarco's snaps were in short yardage situations as a lead blocker.  Having Gore fill that role is likely and I submit even better

because instead to using the blocking FB as a blocker only you could handoff to Gore too.

DiMarco had 1 carry last year.  He had 4 targets as a receiver and I think Gore can handle that workload too.

Frank Gore will need to get snaps to justify his worth and eating a few of DiMarco's just seems logical.

Knox could also be used in place of DiMarco.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

You are 100% on the money with your two points. I think it'll be 6@WR and the 6th will be Duke Williams or Sills (but probably Williams)

I think DA may be convinced to retire as a pathway to coaching. He has a  chance to make a name for himself working with Allen.

Replace DiMarco with a 6th receiver on Offense.

The DE I agree with but the final depth of DT, LB, CB and S will be the winners of an intense camp battles for those positions.

Way too early to tell who rises.

Punter is too early to tell.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His snap count was way down to 15% last year.

No extra FB is signed yet to come to camp.  Previous years another FB was brought in.  This may not seem important but if Daboll is

running an offense that is using a FB often enough to justify one on the roster they would need another in camp just to run the scheme.

A lot of DiMarco's snaps were in short yardage situations as a lead blocker.  Having Gore fill that role is likely and I submit even better

because instead to using the blocking FB as a blocker only you could handoff to Gore too.

DiMarco had 1 carry last year.  He had 4 targets as a receiver and I think Gore can handle that workload too.

Frank Gore will need to get snaps to justify his worth and eating a few of DiMarco's just seems logical.

Knox could also be used in place of DiMarco.

The first part was compelling, but the second part about Gore playing FB is a suppppper long shot.  He is Frank Gore, that would be disrespectful to even suggest he play FB.  And 15% is more than the 6th WR will see the field.  Now, them not bringing in a second FB might be a sign Dimarco is on the way out, but if that were the case, why bring him into camp?  There is no need to run FB sets if they don't plan on having a FB on the roster. I realize your Gore theory would explain that, but I see that as next to impossible. 

WR: Here is the question. How much are we really throwing the ball next yea? There are only so many balls to go around. Last year including KB the #6 WR on the roster caught 3 passes. PIT, GB and Indy threw the ball the most times in the league and even they did not have a #6 WR catching the ball. 

OL: We will def keep more than that. 

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

WR: Here is the question. How much are we really throwing the ball next yea? There are only so many balls to go around. Last year including KB the #6 WR on the roster caught 3 passes. PIT, GB and Indy threw the ball the most times in the league and even they did not have a #6 WR catching the ball. 

OL: We will def keep more than that. 

At the risk of being obvious, teams carry 6 WRs mainly because guys get hurt during the game.  Also if a team runs a 3 WR set or 4 WR set, they get winded and need a break.  The WR 6 spot is usually a return guy and doesn't see the field much as a receiver.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The first part was compelling, but the second part about Gore playing FB is a suppppper long shot.  He is Frank Gore, that would be disrespectful to even suggest he play FB.  And 15% is more than the 6th WR will see the field.  Now, them not bringing in a second FB might be a sign Dimarco is on the way out, but if that were the case, why bring him into camp?  There is no need to run FB sets if they don't plan on having a FB on the roster. I realize your Gore theory would explain that, but I see that as next to impossible. 

It's the Daboll scheme which may not have use for a full time FB roster spot that I think may be happening.

Other teams that do not carry a FB still have to have players that take on lead blocking.

Some use a TE/HB or the bigger RB or even a DL/OL.

I'm going to keep an eye open to see if another FB comes to camp.

We'll have to see how it goes but I think it's pretty obvious that Frank Gore will be lining up on 3rd and short.