Would you rather explore Julio Jones or Clowney in the trade market?

Also, I know it want the question but AJ Green (despite what they say) feels like the most available to me. He’s 30 or 31, coming off an injury, on a team that needs to hit the reset button, in a contract year. He feels like a guy that COULD be hadn’t for a 2nd and an extension. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Julio for me. I like Clowney a lot and think that he could turn this defense into an elite unit, now and moving forward. With that being said, the biggest current need on the roster is a #1 WR. Add to that with the fact that you are trying to develop your, young, franchise QB. Is there ANY better way to do that than to give him a top 3 player at the position? Julio is a complete (and dominant) player. Nothing will help the Bills more than that.

You really think, at this point, that a pass rushing DE is a bigger need than a number 1 WR? I don’t even think it’s close. The Bills have 2-3 DEs (depending on where you count Zo) better than our best WR and that doesn’t even account for the fact that our DT’s will get pressure. We can rush from the edge with or without Clowney. We don’t have guys altering coverage or beating their man without Julio. 

Man argument can certainly be made for Clowney (age, cost, etc...) but it’s a REALLY tough argument to say he fills a bigger need on this roster as of today.

Clowney all the way. He is much younger and he fills a much bigger need. He may be Mcdermott's "Prototype" at the position. Yes, I believe we need a DE first. Why do you think we drafted Cody Ford. Build a strong line first and then get your WR. The Bills have already improved offensively.  Beane may still be looking for a veteran wideout. Next years class of Wr's seems much better. 

11 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Clowney all the way. He is much younger and he fills a much bigger need. He may be Mcdermott's "Prototype" at the position. Yes, I believe we need a DE first. Why do you think we drafted Cody Ford. Build a strong line first and then get your WR. The Bills have already improved offensively.  Beane may still be looking for a veteran wideout. Next years class of Wr's seems much better. 

Next year’s WR class is better. That doesn’t change the fact that our edge guys > than our WR. Additionally, we are trying to develop our franchise QB (which is probably still the most important aspect of this season). Add to that we had the number 2 defense last year with the same guys and one of the worst passing attacks in the league and the “need” argument is a tough one. I’ll buy prototype and/or age but in no way can you convince me that an Edge guy is a bigger need than a number 1 WR on this team, at this point. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

Our Defensive ends have been tested and they are not working. Even with the addition of Oliver, I see only a marginal improvement in their play. How many dropped balls and penalties killed drives last year? What is wrong with John Brown and Robert Foster? I am sure Beane is looking for another veteran. The Bills need to strengthen the lines first...thats where it starts. As far as the Number 2 defense last year, it was misleading and statistical. That was no number 2 defense last year giving up huge chunks of yards and long drives.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Playing along, I'd focus on Julio if we could get him right now. DL seems to be pretty set, or at least has enough capable bodies. Julio would be a game-changing addition to the Offense.

See that's just it: "Capable" we need more than capable players on defense. Capable meaning a continual 8-8 and 9-7 record.

6 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

See that's just it: "Capable" we need more than capable players on defense. Capable meaning a continual 8-8 and 9-7 record.

I think Hughes, Oliver, Star, and both Phillips are more than capable, and when adding in even the average guys of Lawson and Murphy, are certainly better than our WR corp.

If we have to choose just one group to add to, being the premise of this thread, I'm going WR.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Hughes, Oliver, Star, and both Phillips are more than capable, and when adding in even the average guys of Lawson and Murphy, are certainly better than our WR corp.

If we have to choose just one group to add to, being the premise of this thread, I'm going WR.

I like Hughes and I am not talking about him. We need someone to compliment him. Murphy, Lawson and the rest of the crew are not the answer and they have proven it. Go ahead and rationalize how they are going to improve, or some divine force is going to will them to the promised land. We need another pro bowl/impact DE.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If the Falcons struggle this season (I think they might) then I think Julio could be available for trade next offseason. I think the Falcons would likely try a mini reset and Julio at 31 with one year left on his deal might fetch them a high pick to help that reset. If Ridley has a good season they might think Jones is expendable. If at that point an elite receiver seems to be the missing piece to put Buffalo over the top then I'd have interest depending on where we are drafting and who might come out that could be an alternative solution.

We can agree to disagree. Blank will fire the coaches and GM before he trades Julio. If there is a bad year, anything less than the Conference Championship game will be seen as a disappointment, look for changes with staff. 

11 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I like Hughes and I am not talking about him. We need someone to compliment him. Murphy, Lawson and the rest of the crew are not the answer and they have proven it. Go ahead and rationalize how they are going to improve, or some divine force is going to will them to the promised land. We need another pro bowl/impact DE.

I dont think we are all set at DL by any means. Of course the unit could be improved. But I'm simply playing along with the premise of the thread. If I had to choose to address just one unit between WR and DL today, I'd choose WR.

edit: the good news is we're still talking to Ansah, apparently. So there is still decent DE talent that can be brought in as FA. There is no such talent left in the WR FA market, so for this thread, I'm trading for Julio and signing Ansah.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think we are all set at DL by any means. Of course the unit could be improved. But I'm simply playing along with the premise of the thread. If I had to choose to address just one unit between WR and DL today, I'd choose WR.

Ok...I agree. We already know that Beane & Co are exploring both areas. I have no doubt that Josh Allen will eventually have better weapons. I just cannot believe in that DL as a whole.

Edited by Rocket94

14 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

We can agree to disagree. Blank will fire the coaches and GM before he trades Julio. If there is a bad year, anything less than the Conference Championship game will be seen as a disappointment, look for changes with staff. 

Oh I agree the Head coach will be out. Less sure about the GMs. Blank has been very committed to the Dimitroff and Pioli duo. I think he is very tight with them. Do think anything less than the playoffs and Quinn will be out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills can't get both, so which long shot would you prefer..............

Clownery or Julio?

Julio (not that he will be traded or the Bills would, but easy pick).

Clowney is a clown, IMO he's never lived up to the hype and seems to be hurt a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Yav said:

Julio (not that he will be traded or the Bills would, but easy pick).

Clowney is a clown, IMO he's never lived up to the hype and seems to be hurt a lot. 

He had a bad injury early but since then he has missed 3 games in 3 seasons. And the people who say he hasn't lived up to the hype need to watch the tape. The guy is a beast. His pass rush numbers on the bare face don't wow but that is about how he was used as much as anything. Advanced numbers show he is productive when he does rush. And he can stop the run, and he can cover... dude is an all round talent. Not desperate to throw a 1st round pick at him... but if he is a FA next year I'd definitely pursue him.

24 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Jones would be nice if he were the final piece missing and the defense was improved. The Bills are still a year or two away from seriously contending.

The Bills are only as far away from contending as they are from having a true, established franchise QB.

Ask yourself: what path is the fastest to achieving that goal? 

• Like (+1) 1