The Competition for WR6 on the Bills Roster

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just not a good looking group of recievers.

Cross your fingers nobody gets seriously hurt. 

I think McKenzie makes the team as one of your WRs.

Foster was a huge prospect going into college and would be on pace for 1300 yards as a rookie based on his stats after his return from release. I'd say he's pretty promising. Zay Jones was hit-or-miss. Beasley and Brown have actually been pretty consistent in their career. Roberts is mostly for ST but he has done well as a WR4 or 5 in the past. It's not an amazing bunch, but it's not as terrible as you imply, and definitely improved over last year's bunch (who still went 5-5 with no consistency and many injuries when Allen played a complete game).

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Just not a good looking group of recievers.

Cross your fingers nobody gets seriously hurt. 

I think McKenzie makes the team as one of your WRs.

The amount of hatred you have toward what is supposedly your favorite team never ceases to baffle me.

18 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Got any examples? A link? Maybe that was true his rookie year, but this sounds more like a narrative than anything based on actual fact. 

Just my meaningless observation. He had a few good games last year but from watching other teams with excellent receivers, I think for the most part he isn't the answer.

In Beane's post draft presser he was asked about David Sills.  He had Sills on his draft board and he said there were other receivers drafted that were not on his board.  He has pretty good size, 6'3 210, and he has a knack of catching contested balls.  I think the WR 5 spot comes down to Sills and Duke Williams.  I think Roberts will be WR 6.  Brown, Beasley, Foster, and Jones the other 4 WRs.

Just now, bmur66 said:

Just my meaningless observation. He had a few good games last year but from watching other teams with excellent receivers, I think for the most part he isn't the answer.

See, I just think those excellent receivers look excellent when they have elite QBs not in their rookie years throwing to them.  Think about John Brown.  When Flacco was throwing to him, he was on pace for 1000 yards.  When the rookie came in, he fell off the map.  Zay will look as good as Allen looks.  If Allen progresses, so too will Zay. The guy is more than capable, and the fact that he progressed so much last year is telling that he has an upward trajectory. 

I hope they pick up a legit veteran #1 receiver. There will hopefully be some surprise training camp cuts. After fixing the line, I don't want any excuses when Allen only completes 50% of his passes again

1 minute ago, WRONG JOSH said:

I hope they pick up a legit veteran #1 receiver. There will hopefully be some surprise training camp cuts. After fixing the line, I don't want any excuses when Allen only completes 50% of his passes again

Yes, because "legit veteran #1 receivers" are frequently cut after training camp. 

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s an average group of WRs, with potential to be more due to the youth of Foster and Zay.  

People need to stop acting like we have scrubs at WR.  This isn’t 2018 anymore. 

I think Andre Roberts makes the team as our defense is hopefully forcing a lot of punts deep in oppo territory.  

WR6 comes down to Duke or Sills (IMO)

I agree with this post.  Assuming the first 4, Roberts makes it for special teams and Duke and Sills duke it out (pun intended) for the final spot.  McKenzie showed some good athleticism and versatility last year, but he dropped too many balls and his ST duties can be fulfilled by Roberts.

27 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

See, I just think those excellent receivers look excellent when they have elite QBs not in their rookie years throwing to them.  Think about John Brown.  When Flacco was throwing to him, he was on pace for 1000 yards.  When the rookie came in, he fell off the map.  Zay will look as good as Allen looks.  If Allen progresses, so too will Zay. The guy is more than capable, and the fact that he progressed so much last year is telling that he has an upward trajectory. 

I think he was inconsistent and made routine catches look difficult. If he doesn’t improve in camp I think his days in Buffalo are over. JMO. I hope someone steps up

Edited by bmur66

I hope the coaching staff tries really hard to put a duel position person in as a returner. I wonder if Singletary has ever done any kick returning? I'm just not a fan of keeping a guy JUST for ST. No offense Steve Tasker.

14 hours ago, Lurker said:

Based on what?   I don't know much about him but the stats look a little meh.   What are we getting in this little guy?

Isaiah McKenzie

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
Career       19 1 43 22 208 9.5 0 23 1.2 10.9 51.2% 4.8 11 70 2 15 6.4 3.7 0.6 33 8.4 278 2 8
2 yrs DEN     12 0 13 4 29 7.3 0 14 0.3 2.4 30.8% 2.2 1 4 0 4 4.0 0.3 0.1 5 6.6 33 0 6
1 yr BUF     7 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.6 25.6 60.0% 6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 9.4 1.4 28 8.8 245 2
2017 22 DEN   84 11 0 13 4 29 7.3 0 14 0.4 2.6 30.8% 2.2 1 4 0 4 4.0 0.4 0.1 5 6.6 33 0 6
2018 23 2TM     8 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.3 22.4 60.0% 6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 8.3 1.3 28 8.8 245 2 2
    BUF wr 19 7 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.6 25.6   6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 9.4 1.4 28 8.8 245 2 2

I have Zay, Foster, Cole ,Smokey Brown and Andre Roberts (mainly based off his elite Return ability) as locks. Duke, McKenzie, Sills and Ray Ray are my 4 WR I predict to be fighting for 1-2 roster spots. If Foster maintains his second half play and Zay makes a jump , which i fully expect, this is suddenly a deep WR room!

Also , I like McKenzie alot as well, I'm looking beyond the stats here, but he looked incredibly dangerous every time he touched the rock. He's the gadget WR , I really like him and feel he has a legit shot at making the 53.

Remember with all these WR had ZERO chemistry with Allen! Foster was the only one that Allen was throwing to in Training Camp, but even that chemistry was limited since Foster got sent back to the PS. So it's safe to say any returning WR will have a much better rapport with Allen , who will actually be able to gain some chemistry with his WR. Add in a tremendously improved OL, everything is pointing to the WRs and Allen having a muchhhhhh better year. This is why i didn't want to waste a draft pick on a WR, we're quietly alot deeper and talented then people think.

What scares me about our WR crew is that it is all over the map. You have people saying Zay could be the #1, while others saying he could get cut. You have folks saying Duke Williams is the key X factor, while many project he doesn't make the team. At this point it feels like all we know for certain (I think, haha) is that Brown and Beasley will be key contributors. Just feels like the old days with Fitz throwing to Stevie and David Nelson, Donald Jones or whoever. 

2 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

I hope the coaching staff tries really hard to put a duel position person in as a returner. I wonder if Singletary has ever done any kick returning? I'm just not a fan of keeping a guy JUST for ST. No offense Steve Tasker.

I wouldn’t necessarily disagree except for the fact that he was the All-Pro returner last year. The league decided that Andre Roberts was the single most valuable returner in the league. That to me makes him WAY more deserving of a roster spot than DiMarco or Bodine or Lafayette Pitts or whomever is fighting for that last spot. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's the problem.

The blueprint of recently successful teams breaking in young QB's is putting WR's in place that can elevate those QB's game.

The Bills are giving Allen a bottom 1/3 of the league WR corps and seeing if he sinks or swims.

Ya but they may have given him a top 10 OL. Which allow an average group of WR to get open. 

I think Brown, Beasley and Foster are locked in... everybody else has to earn their spot.

It wasn’t Beane who traded up for Zay, and if some of these guys just outplay him through camp and preseason, I could definitely see him cut.  If I had to bet, I would say he does make the team, but wouldn’t be shocked if a 2nd rounder who has underperformed for his first couple years in the league didn’t make the final 53.