The Competition for WR6 on the Bills Roster

2020 draft we’ll be looking at the first round receivers. Beane has been scouring this correctly.

2018, Quarterback Draft.

-Drafts a QB #7 overall

2019, Defensive Line Draft 

-Drafts DT #9 overall

2020, WR Draft

-my Prediction is well see an early pick on a wideout. 

Brown and Beasley will make the roster. I think Foster and Zay are 90% locks. I think Roberts is also a 90% lock to make the roster, he will be the WR6 as he will just be a punt returner and kick returner and spot play WR if there are injuries. WR5 will be the spot where there will be intense competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know how many WRs they are going to keep and I don’t know who will make it but props to the OP for at least starting a thread that generates good discussion. 

27 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I bet Zay is the leading receiver on the team.

I don’t see it but I’d be elated if he was. Just to see the posters here that said he was a bigger bust than Maybin last year eat some ****. 

I think it will be foster personally and what a story that would be! 

I really think Sills & Duke both make the roster.

Easley is deifinitely PS, but could be called up during the season. I could see the Pats going after him after Edelman's inevitible injury, and forcing our hand. That's when we could see a Zay or Roberts cut.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDare said:

right now i, and i think they, like Isaah Mckenzie

BUT A LOT CAN HAPPEN BEFORE FINAL CUTS, may want someone with size, also Zay is at risk

But do you, and you think he’s better than the new crop? I, and I don’t.

• Haha (+1) 1

Brown, Beasley and Foster are stone cold 100% locks to make the roster.  So probably is Roberts.  Zay Jones is NOT, although I think not drafting a receiver was kind of an endorsement of him.  Assuming he does make it, there will be either one or two spots (likely one) and the two favorites are Sills and Duke Williams.  I would put my money on David Sills to make the roster.  Would not be shocked if both made it somehow.  McKenzie is expendable.  No one realizes the extent to which he had an insane fumbling problem in Denver.  I get that he's fast but he's nothing special.  They have plenty of speed now.  

Brown: 100%

Beasley: 100%

Foster: 100%

Roberts: 95%

Jones: 75%

Sills: 40%

Williams: 30%

McKenzie: 20%

Edited by metzelaars_lives

38 minutes ago, 947 said:

I really think Sills & Duke both make the roster.

Easley is deifinitely PS, but could be called up during the season. I could see the Pats going after him after Edelman's inevitible injury, and forcing our hand. That's when we could see a Zay or Roberts cut.

That narrative is getting old 

My guess is we'll end up with:

WR1 - John Brown

WR2 - Robert Foster

WR3 (Slot) - Cole Beasley

WR4 - Zay Jones

WR5 - Andre Roberts

WR6 - Isaiah McKenzie

Practice Squad:

Nick Easley

David Sills

What we obviously lack with this configuration is size. Maybe Duke Williams fits in instead of McKenzie because of that, but I liked what I saw from McKenzie last year. He can help on special teams too.

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the receiving group looks amazing honestly. They all bring their own unique thing to the team. 

I do think it’s gonna be 

Brown

Foster 

Beasley 

Zay 

Roberts 

then whoever wins 6.

But I don’t think it’ll be McKenzie 

Roberts is our returner, but I think he’ll also get used on the offense similar to McKenzie last year with jet sweeps and screens etc etc that kinda “weapon” 

The rest will surely have a heck of a battle for that one spot. 

If Roberts can replace Mckenzie then Mckenzie is out, otherwise I think Mckenzie has a good shot at it. Beane's comments about different guys who have different roles seems to suggest they'll want at least one guy who can do the jet sweeps. We had some really good runs last year off that.

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree but I’d say they tried. They tried to get the best WR in the league. This draft wasn’t full of number 1 receivers and that’s what the Bills need. They have plenty of guys that can be 2-6. They have guys that have capably filled those roles already. A matchup problem would be great but who? It’s like saying “we are drafting a QB this year” and then getting stuck with EJ Manuel because he’s the best available. 

I’m on record as saying a swing at DK in round would have been a good idea. He COULD become that number 1. It’s just hard when the guys aren’t out there.

Agreed. Before FA and the draft I had the Bills receivers as:

WR1 - n/a

WR2 - n/a

WR3 - Foster

WR4 - McKenzie

WR5 - Jones

I think now it's this:

WR1 - n/a

WR2 - Brown

WR3 - Foster

WR4 - Beasly

WR5 - McKenzie

WR6 - Roberts

- I think they have to keep McKenzie because he offers something that those other receivers don't playing from the slot. He's the gadget guy/jet sweep WR.

I've said all off season the Bills would need to trade for a WR1 as there just wasn't one in the draft. They could draft a WR2 and trade for a WR1. With regards to DK, they COULD have drafted him but the chances of him putting up WR1 type numbers this season are slim, a rookie hasn't done that since 2016 and this class isn't nearly as good as the past 2. But that's also the problem, they would be putting the pressure on a rookie WR to be the guy. The Bills should have either drafted a WR1 before or with Josh so that they could take their first year lumps together or before Josh got here. They didn't do either of those, so at this point I think they need to trade for a proven WR1.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's be realist here.............

It's going to be, barring injury...........

Foster

Jones 

Brown

Beasley

w/Roberts as the return man

Those are locks, unless their are personnel developments at the WR position.

The battle is for the 6th spot, with a host of possibilities.

Duke Williams is the favorite because of his size, ball skills and being a red zone threat.

It should be an interesting battle.

P.S., 

If the Bills fail to add a DE (or feel set there)...........................

They might explore a big name WR again, so the name Jones will still be a lock for one of those top 4 spots, but replace the first name of Zay with Julio (as Zay would be included in that trade).

Beane did heavily explore AB and OBJ, so I don't think exploring another big name WR isn't out of the question for the next 3 boring football months.

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the receiving group looks amazing honestly. They all bring their own unique thing to the team. 

I do think it’s gonna be 

Brown

Foster 

Beasley 

Zay 

Roberts 

then whoever wins 6.

But I don’t think it’ll be McKenzie 

Roberts is our returner, but I think he’ll also get used on the offense similar to McKenzie last year with jet sweeps and screens etc etc that kinda “weapon” 

The rest will surely have a heck of a battle for that one spot. 

This is my biggest question with the wr group.

I see Brown and Foster outside - that works.  

I see Beasley in the slot, but he is not your jet sweep, bubble screen, move to the RB slot guy.  

I see Zay playing a hybrid outside/slot role depending whom they are playing and needs.

Roberts sticks as the return guy, but can he catch if he is in the game?  I could see him on Jet sweeps, but I do not know how good his hands are for actually catching passes - can he be a bubble screen and regular route runner on some early downs?  If he can then you do not need the McKenzie/Ray Ray player on the roster - leaving the last spot for Duke or Sills.  

If Roberts can not fulfill that role and ends up strictly a KR/PR - then I could see McKenzie or Ray Ray or even Easley fighting for that role and we may end up having to keep 7 WRs if Duke or Sills end up as you big body Redzone guy.

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is my biggest question with the wr group.

I see Brown and Foster outside - that works.  

I see Beasley in the slot, but he is not your jet sweep, bubble screen, move to the RB slot guy.  

I see Zay playing a hybrid outside/slot role depending whom they are playing and needs.

Roberts sticks as the return guy, but can he catch if he is in the game?  I could see him on Jet sweeps, but I do not know how good his hands are for actually catching passes - can he be a bubble screen and regular route runner on some early downs?  If he can then you do not need the McKenzie/Ray Ray player on the roster - leaving the last spot for Duke or Sills.  

If Roberts can not fulfill that role and ends up strictly a KR/PR - then I could see McKenzie or Ray Ray or even Easley fighting for that role and we may end up having to keep 7 WRs if Duke or Sills end up as you big body Redzone guy.

If you can catch punts you can catch some screens.. He’s not gonna go out there and make contested 20 yard passes or anything but neither is McKenzie. They’re the same kinda player, game plan to get them in some space