The Competition for WR6 on the Bills Roster

Even though the Bills didn’t draft a WR in this year’s draft, there is still a lot of competition at WR in the roster.

Going on the assumption that the team will keep WR’s, we are either looking at some surprising cuts or a ton of completion for 1 WR spot.

Locked in:

WR1 John Brown

WR2 Cole Beasley

These two aren’t going getting to get cut in 2019.

Probable

WR3 Robert Foster 

WR4 Zay Jones

Both receivers need to have big years.  Foster needs to continue the progress he showed last season.  Zay needs to live up to his potential and show why he should be considered for a 2nd contract.  Unless they have a disastrous training camp, I see them as likely members of the roster

Questionable:

WR5 Andre Roberts

Not a true WR in actuality but an important part of the return game.  I don’t see the team carrying an additional spot as only a KR/PR but we’ll see.

Competition for WR6:

Duke Williams 

Ray Ray McLeod 3

Isaiah McKenzie

Cam Phillips

Da’Mari Scott

Victor Bolden Jr

Nick Easley (UFA)

David Sills (UFA)

A lot of competition for likely 1 roster spot.  It should be a lot of fun to watch.  I’m quietly pulling for either Duke or David Sills.  I do like Easley too

Edited by Phil The Thrill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Just not a good looking group of recievers.

Cross your fingers nobody gets seriously hurt. 

I think McKenzie makes the team as one of your WRs.

Sounds about right.  Definitely not your team

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Based on what?   I don't know much about him but the stats look a little meh.   What are we getting in this little guy?

Isaiah McKenzie

Games Receiving Rushing Total Yds    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Y/Tgt Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
Career       19 1 43 22 208 9.5 0 23 1.2 10.9 51.2% 4.8 11 70 2 15 6.4 3.7 0.6 33 8.4 278 2 8
2 yrs DEN     12 0 13 4 29 7.3 0 14 0.3 2.4 30.8% 2.2 1 4 0 4 4.0 0.3 0.1 5 6.6 33 0 6
1 yr BUF     7 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.6 25.6 60.0% 6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 9.4 1.4 28 8.8 245 2
2017 22 DEN   84 11 0 13 4 29 7.3 0 14 0.4 2.6 30.8% 2.2 1 4 0 4 4.0 0.4 0.1 5 6.6 33 0 6
2018 23 2TM     8 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.3 22.4 60.0% 6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 8.3 1.3 28 8.8 245 2 2
    BUF wr 19 7 1 30 18 179 9.9 0 23 2.6 25.6   6.0 10 66 2 15 6.6 9.4 1.4 28 8.8 245 2 2
Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s an underwhelming group for sure but better than last year. Brown and Beasley are capable NFL receivers and Foster appears to be one as well. If the Bills had someone at the top of that depth chart it would be a pretty good group. They have some skills that balance each other out and some speed. I’m hoping for Sills to make the team. I could see him stealing snaps from Zay if he develops. I don’t hate Duke as an option either. Roberts, to me, is a special teams guy. I’d rather keep an extra WR than DiMarco.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

It’s an average group of WRs, with potential to be more due to the youth of Foster and Zay.  

People need to stop acting like we have scrubs at WR.  This isn’t 2018 anymore. 

I think Andre Roberts makes the team as our defense is hopefully forcing a lot of punts deep in oppo territory.  

WR6 comes down to Duke or Sills (IMO)

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s an average group of WRs, with potential to be more due to the youth of Foster and Zay.  

People need to stop acting like we have scrubs at WR.  This isn’t 2018 anymore. 

I think Andre Roberts makes the team as our defense is hopefully forcing a lot of punts deep in oppo territory.  

WR6 comes down to Duke or Sills (IMO)

I’m not trying to be “that guy” but it’s hard to argue average. Average would imply middle of the league ish. They are not there. They are improved from last year but it is absolutely one of the worst receiving groups in the league. They are somewhere in the low 20’s at best. With that being said, the addition of a number 1 next year and everyone getting bumped down could make them a pretty good group.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just not a good looking group of recievers.

Cross your fingers nobody gets seriously hurt. 

The competition for the #6 WR is almost always the most contested spot on the team.  

In terms of sheer quantity it's what the RB position used to be.    No shortage of #6 WR around the league(or on the street come September). 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not trying to be “that guy” but it’s hard to argue average. Average would imply middle of the league ish. They are not there. They are improved from last year but it is absolutely one of the worst receiving groups in the league. They are somewhere in the low 20’s at best. With that being said, the addition of a number 1 next year and everyone getting bumped down could make them a pretty good group.

We’ll see.  The AFCE WR Units are trash.   It’s not crazy to say that we’re some Zay Jones improvements away from having the best group in the division.  

To be clear, I’d love to trade for a Nelson Algholar as Zay Jones insurance, but an OL & Running Game should make these guys look a lot better. 

• Like (+1) 1

These WR “groups “ are only as good as the QB. Allen needs to improve- I think he will. Biggest area of beef is the Offensive line. Improvement there will make everyone look better .

Our GM/ coach are going off Carolina model that went to a Super Bowl with Tedd Ginn as top wide out.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We’ll see.  The AFCE WR Units are trash.   It’s not crazy to say that we’re some Zay Jones improvements away from having the best group in the division.  

To be clear, I’d love to trade for a Nelson Algholar as Zay Jones insurance, but an OL & Running Game should make these guys look a lot better. 

The AFC East WR aren’t very good. We agree there. I’d say that Anderson, Enunwa and Crowder is better than the Bills. The Pats still have Edelman and are adding Demaryius and Harry. They have to be ahead of the Bills. The Dolphins are an absolute dumpster fire and I’d have the Bills above them. I think that the Raiders, 49ers and Redskins are pretty weak as well. 

What’s good, gents? What’s good? 

Just YE OLE’s two cents, but this WR group isn’t bad at all. Both Beasley and John Brown have been productive 2/3 type receivers on good teams. Zay caught 56 balls and 7 TDs last year. Foster looked the part of being a cut above all these guys in the last several weeks last season. Worst case, these guys are average.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Im a little higher on the group than you are, but I do agree they are missing a #1 WR.  With that being said, it’s a much better WR group than last season.  

I doubt players like DaMari Scott or Victor Bolden are really going to be much of a factor in any WR competition.  Duke Williams, Isaiah McKenzie and maybe David Sills are the more likely players in this competition.  Easley sounds like he might have some potential as a slot receiver, but he's not beating out Beasley, and I don't know that Buffalo is going to carry a guy on the roster who is only a backup slot receiver.  Maybe he hooks on with the PS.  

I believe Allen elevates the talent at WR. Most good quarterbacks do that. Last year Josh allen was arguably the best player on the field for us the last few weeks. I believe he continues to progress. It doesn’t even need to be a major jump. Just steady improvement. 

I think JA will help make these WR look better. Also I think these WR’s can get it done. Too many people seem to think that we must have this all star #1 WR. I just don’t think there are that many even in our league. There can’t be more than 10-15. Surely not every team has a big time receiver. We aren’t the only team lacking a true number one. 

That being said I wouldn’t be bummed at all if we were able to find someone via trade. 

My my vote for #6 is Duke Williams.

Also I don’t think Roberts is a sure bet. I know he is good and led the league in returns. But other talent could rise for a returner. However Roberts does have production as a WR in the past. So I do think it’s probably 80/20 chance he makes it. 

There red will be a couple of FA’s we signed that I wouldn’t be shocked if they were cut/traded. We signed so many. It’s a beautiful thing having decent competition this season.