Poll: 3rd Round Draft Direction

3rd Round Draft Direction  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the Bills have gone with the 3rd Pick? The names represent position. Not necessarily that actual player.

• Oliver/Ford/Singletary
    • Oliver/Ford/Harmon or Butler
    • Oliver/Ford/Ferguson or Winovich
    • Oliver/Ford/Sternberger
    • Oliver/Ford/Other

At the time, I was thinking we should have gone with Sternberger in the 3rd round, rather than Singletary, and I like Winovich, but I trust this regime and they obviously see something in Singletary, plus they may have rated Knox (who they ultimately got at TE) higher than Sternberger.  I had never heard of Knox before the Bills selected him, but I'm not one to dig that deep into draft analysis.  The main reason I know Winovich is that I am a big Michigan fan and have seen all of his games.  I only know Singletary because he was listed as one of the guys that made a pre-draft visit to the Bills and they seemed to be interested in him.  (And I only know Sternberger because he was listed as one of the "top players available" and "top TE's available" on the tickers on draft night). 

Given my limited knowledge of player values and total ignorance of the myriad of scouting reports that teams all do on all these players. I probably would have gone WR or edge rusher with the Bills' first pick in the third round.  However, I do understand that my ignorance relative to Beane's access to all kins of scouting information renders my opinion relatively worthless.  Singletary could turn out to be a really good RB, and the odds are not super high that Gore or McCoy will be here after the 2019 season.

2 hours ago, Haplo848 said:

Can an additional "by the time the draft got into the third round, I had no strong feelings toward any given player, and so was rather ambivalent about who to draft, but trust the Bills' front office, and the guys drafted seem talented, so I'm fairly happy" option be added?

You admit that on this board?  Thats totally unexpected.

I'll admit I wasn't enamoured with the pick at the time but I've learned to trust this FO and if they were sold on him, great. It was a future looking move considering both Shady and Gore are most certainly gone next year, so if they really think Singletary can become a stud I'll really love this move next year. Kudos for being proactive instead of scrambling next year.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Much of the opposition to the Singletary pick is from folks who think you can get a RB anywhere.

For reference, the Pats took RB Sony Michell in the 2nd last year and he played a considerable role in their Super Bowl run.  This year they added ANOTHER RB in round 3 (Damien Harris).

The league runs in cycles.  A trend takes effect until some contrarian goes the other way.  I remember RBs being the centerpiece of an NFL offense.  Then big receivers became the rage and defenses got bigger in the secondary.  Then offenses went to “smurf” WRs that the big DBs could not handle.  So, defenses went to smaller quicker DBs.  And so on...

Today, defenses are countering the spread offense with smaller faster LBs and DL who specialize in rushing the passer.  So, the Pats are now out ahead of that curve subtly building a bully offense that can run the ball to take advantage of the smaller, lighter DL and LBs.

Michel was a first round pick.

As someone who still isn’t sold on the pick, Singletary does look like the biggest impact player of the bunch.  

I love TE’s so I would have taken both Sternberger and Knox, but I’m probably the only non-Ravens Scout who feels that way about drafting a bunch of tight ends.   

Winovich & Ferguson could be decent but are more rotational DE’s (IMO).  

Butler fell like a rock and Harmon almost went undrafted so no idea what to make of that.  We got Sills in UDFA who many had going in the mid-late rounds so WR was basically shenanigans this year. 

Edited by SCBills

i was thinking ferguson could be maybe be another jerry.  i trust these guys and i think  singletary  could  be the feature back by the end of the year or going into next year for sure.

i get the feeling they are/were looking ahead at next year's class and based some of their picks on what they see coming.