Poll: 3rd Round Draft Direction

3rd Round Draft Direction  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the Bills have gone with the 3rd Pick? The names represent position. Not necessarily that actual player.

• Oliver/Ford/Singletary
    • Oliver/Ford/Harmon or Butler
    • Oliver/Ford/Ferguson or Winovich
    • Oliver/Ford/Sternberger
    • Oliver/Ford/Other

Didn’t Harmon go really late? I can’t imagine that they had him graded high enough for that option.  I’m not a fan of Butler at all based on his scouting reports. I might have taken a WR, but neither of those options. I think perhaps the pass rusher Winovich simply because I will not like playing against him now that he’s in NE. He’s obnoxious! We would like him if on our side though. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Can an additional "by the time the draft got into the third round, I had no strong feelings toward any given player, and so was rather ambivalent about who to draft, but trust the Bills' front office, and the guys drafted seem talented, so I'm fairly happy" option be added?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I like the Singletary pick.

Was happy with the way things went.

...McBeane and his "Gang of 17+" staff sure as hell do their homework and leave no stone unturned...pretty damn impressive IMO.....NOW versus 17 years of "F Troop" running the show?...SERIOUSLY?....

I had a big man-crush on Butler going into the draft, but I'm not a football expert and those who are apparently didn't think he was all that. I think the current regime drafts really well, so I'm behind their choices 100%. 

Let’s try this in 2-3 years... Ya know after they actually play in the league.

i like the Singletary pick, but I don’t know jack squat about most of those guys other than some highlight footage 

Edited by Rc2catch

Much of the opposition to the Singletary pick is from folks who think you can get a RB anywhere.

For reference, the Pats took RB Sony Michell in the 2nd last year and he played a considerable role in their Super Bowl run.  This year they added ANOTHER RB in round 3 (Damien Harris).

The league runs in cycles.  A trend takes effect until some contrarian goes the other way.  I remember RBs being the centerpiece of an NFL offense.  Then big receivers became the rage and defenses got bigger in the secondary.  Then offenses went to “smurf” WRs that the big DBs could not handle.  So, defenses went to smaller quicker DBs.  And so on...

Today, defenses are countering the spread offense with smaller faster LBs and DL who specialize in rushing the passer.  So, the Pats are now out ahead of that curve subtly building a bully offense that can run the ball to take advantage of the smaller, lighter DL and LBs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will trust what the FO and coaching staff are doing until they show me I shouldn't. I am fine with their selections, and they will ultimately be judged by the product they put on the field. 

We'll see how it unfolds...

27 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Much of the opposition to the Singletary pick is from folks who think you can get a RB anywhere.

For reference, the Pats took RB Sony Michell in the 2nd last year and he played a considerable role in their Super Bowl run.  This year they added ANOTHER RB in round 3 (Damien Harris).

The league runs in cycles.  A trend takes effect until some contrarian goes the other way.  I remember RBs being the centerpiece of an NFL offense.  Then big receivers became the rage and defenses got bigger in the secondary.  Then offenses went to “smurf” WRs that the big DBs could not handle.  So, defenses went to smaller quicker DBs.  And so on...

Today, defenses are countering the spread offense with smaller faster LBs and DL who specialize in rushing the passer.  So, the Pats are now out ahead of that curve subtly building a bully offense that can run the ball to take advantage of the smaller, lighter DL and LBs.

Have you noted the size of our new offensive line? Power, not finesse, I think. We are building a bully run game ourselves.

• Like (+1) 1