How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

How do you feel about the Bills in 2019?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

• Extremely Optimistic
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Neither Optimistic or Pessimistic
    • Somewhat Pessimistic
    • Very down on the team. Just get the #1 pick in 2020

I hate to be so optimistic but realistically im very excited.  We upgraded at WR(2x), RB, TE (slightly), Every position on the oline plus depth which is the biggest.  Defense we got more depth in the secondary without losing anybody.  Milano will return and Edwards will have a year of experience. Dline only got more talent  and experience.  JA will will have the biggest jump in my mind.  Can some one talk me down?  I dont see how we've gotten any weaker this year in any aspect

I've been optimistic before and been disappointed.  I am cautiously optimistic yet again.  I want to be wildly optimistic, but I can't go there quite yet because of a long history.  I like the coaching and the handling of the roster.  I think this is one of the most talented rosters Buffalo has had since the golden age of four straight Super Bowls.  The Cheatriots remain dangerous, however.

• Like (+1) 1

It all really comes down to Josh Allen taking a few steps forward, the o-line improving, having a run game (play action opens up)and the special teams taking a big step forward. 

Do do all of these and playoffs should happen. From there who knows? 

I am also cautiously optimistic. I like what the Bills have done on the offensive side of the ball to help Josh Allen succeed. I am defensive minded and I believe that the DL and DE positions need attention. I love the draft picks, and I like how Beane was able distribute the picks with what he had. Overall, I feel that the Bills have improved but remain a year or two away to seriously challenge.

Edited by Rocket94

I am cautiously optimistic. I have seen the whole "Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football" patterns with this team to be more and any optimism on my side is probably Homerism.

I think we might win a few out of the gate/in the early part of the season and surprise the media, maybe even get an SI cover, but am concerned that once the opposing teams get a sense for what our offense is planning on/using successfully they will adapt to try and shut down whatever we have that has worked.  At that point IMO the games will really be fought in the trenches and hopefully we will be up for the challenge.  At that point coaching and creativity or lack thereof will be the determining factor(s).  Probably an observation up there with "the sky is blue" and "it gets dark at night"  but that is what's on my mind.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I beleive we have upgraded every position on offense that was awful and defensively we should be no worse. Therefore i think with a little luck we will be 10-6. Anything worse than 8-8 is a disappointment.

I think on paper the defense is better too.  I loved Kyle Williams, but Oliver is an upgrade.  The cornerback group has higher quality depth.  Not much change at linebacker and safety though.  Vosean Joseph and Jaquan Johnson are depth players who will see the field more on special teams than on defense.  

I think the Bills can win 10 games this year if Allen plays in all 16 games. I wouldn't put money on it, but I don't see why they couldn't reach that win total. They made massive improvements on O Line, signed 2 veteran WR (who I think will be great additions, despite what some on here believe), added skill and experience at RB, and drafted a high ceiling TE prospect. Not to mention they added a difference maker to the D Line (critically important piece of the D puzzle), solidified corner depth with veterans (one of which has already played in our system, and had a very respectable year for us in 2017), and have had their marquee additions of 2018 draft (Allen/Edmunds) in their strength/conditioning program for a full off season. Those two, I'd like to assume, have been working and studying hard this winter/spring to prepare for the upcoming season. They'll both know the playbook top to bottom. My money would be on both Josh and Tremaine taking steps forward this year, maybe even big steps forward.

If you can't be optimistic about this year's Bills team, idk if you can ever be optimistic about anything! :)

It's clear to me that our front office, for the first time in a long time, has a very defined set of values, goals, and expectations that they are applying to every decision they make. Success is truly a top down mechanism, and it's clear to me that our owners, GM, coaches, staff, and players are all on the same page.

The future is NOW! Go Bills!

Extremely optimistic. Not necessarily for where the team will be at the end of the year (playoffs, hopefully), but, for where the team is headed down the road. Feeling better about that than I have in many years.

• Like (+1) 1

2019: the on field talent is there, will the coaches get the most of this talent? I'd say the Bills coaching staff is average on a good day.

I don't know... can average coaches with superior players lead to more wins? Or do you need a red hot coaching staff to increase the win column?

As an armchair commentator, I'd say 2018 McDermott was average as a game day coach. As the roster improved, can 2019 McDermott improve his performance on game day?

• Like (+1) 1

Cautiously optimistic. Definitely significant improvement to the off. line, Ed Oliver will play right away and solidify the interior d. Good secondary additions. 

Concerned about the offensive skill positions. Yeldon has never impressed me in the least. Read a poster saying he is an elite pass catcher, he is not elite at anything. The wr room is small and lacks elite talent. The rbs are also small and lack power. I would have much preferred Spencer Ware to Yeldon. More powerful runner and good hands out of the backfield. 

Hope I am wrong and Allen has the weapons he needs to excel but have to admit I am a little bit skeptical at this point.   

Excited to see how it all comes together and definitely think they are significantly improved talent wise on both sides of the ball.

...looking at the Cliff Notes version of 2018, it marked the 1st year for McDermott & McBeane together...cap constraints inhibited FA signings....out of the draft which garned many "A's" from the media, the ONLY pick NOT on the roster now is Prohel...pretty darn good 1st year IMO....so far for 2019, FA yielded several good signings IMO (and of course a few TBD yipsters said "nothing but signing "other team's garbage journeymen) coupled with what has again been preliminarily graded an "A" draft....ONLY cautiously optimistic because of not only new personnel, but several new additions/replacements to coaching staff....no sense in jumping into "irrational exuberance"  mode YET....hell we don't even know the final 53.."steady as she goes Admiral Nemo"......BUT...I like "the course" so far.......

I selected cautiously optimistic, I see seven to ten wins with eight or nine most likely.   Keep in mind that this team went 6-10 last year despite playing playoff teams with virtually no quarterback for a good portion of the season.

The only major loss was Kyle Willams who was replaced by Oliver.    Every other player not on the team was either expendable or a liability.   The line minus Dawkins will be new and upgraded and some depth was added in skill positions to an improving Foster and Jones.   Add this to an easier schedule and I see improvement

This doesn't likely mean a playoff run, but there is no way that the team is worse than 6-10 unless Allen badly regresses or some key injuries occur.