How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

How do you feel about the Bills in 2019?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

• Extremely Optimistic
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Neither Optimistic or Pessimistic
    • Somewhat Pessimistic
    • Very down on the team. Just get the #1 pick in 2020

I have a pretty good feeling about the Bills going into this season.  Not sure if they will make the playoffs or not, but I think this season will be the tale of 2 different seasons.

With all of the new pieces brought into the Bills, I think it will take some time before the Bills really become a fully cohesive team.  Which brings the 2 seasons, before and after cohesiveness.

The second half of the season, especially on offense, once the WR's get on the same page with Allen (and vice versa) plus OLine shuffling finished, I think the Bills will be a tough team to beat.

How far this team goes will depend on how we perform in the first half of the season while everyone is still bonding together.

The first 3 games will really depend on if we make the playoffs or not.  If we go 3-0 vs the Jets, Giants, Bengals (which we can do), then I think we get to 9-10 wins and probably get into the playoffs.  If we falter in those games, we're looking around 6-8 wins this year...

But like others have said in multiple threads, I don't really care too much about the record of the team this year.  They main thing I want to see is Allen maturing in this offense and showing glimpses of becoming a top line starter.

We got my boy Ed Oliver.  I’m extremely optimistic.  

Not to the extent I’m sure we’ll have a great season.  I think we will be much improved, but not sold on the playoffs just yet.  I’m just so excited to see this new product and optimistic that we’re going to be exciting

I don’t know that this is the year it pays off, but this roster is shaping up to be very good relative to the past decade of Bills teams. Still not all that confident it turns into a winning record or playoff football, but if Allen takes a big leap in year 2, I think that’ll be enough to get there. I’m just not ready to assume that improvement even if I like him a lot as a prospect. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm thinking 9-7 is feasible. Anything less would be a disappointment. Hope that's enough to make the playoffs. I can't see us winning less than 8 games unless something bad happens, like Josh missing a lot of games due to injury.

I will say this: the hype for Josh Allen is very high among Bills fans. It has grown into a monster. I bet fans will be disappointed when they realize he still has a long way to go and is not yet the franchise QB we all hope and expect him to be in the future. He is still going to make head scratching decisions and he will still miss open guys from time to time. Fans will need to be patient with him.

Well said. It's so true, there is a world of expectation on that kid. Luckily, I think McDermott is just the right coach for him, as he's there every step of the way reminding him to work hard, focus on the process and not get carried away. 

I'm reminded about the post draft press conference where and interviewer asked McDermott something about how he was feeling about the "potential" of this team and you could see how uncomfortable that word made him. He said something along the lines, that potential is a fool man's gold. Hopefully that sort of attitude will keep internal noise down. 

I'm very optimistic with this leadership team. They've shown to have good judgement, disciplined in their vision and the ability to change when they get something wrong. I'm just going to enjoy the season for what it is knowing fully well that team leading the ship know what they are doing. 

Edited by HomeTeam
Sp

Cautiously optimistic.  I feel like we are a legitimate middle-of-the-pack type of team from the get go this year.  Whereas at the start of last year I felt that we were one of the worst teams in franchise history.  It really all comes down to Allen's progress.  If he plays like he did the last handful of games last year, we should be an 8 or 9 win team.  If he takes a nice step up in performance, I could see 10-12 wins.

Josh has to stay healthy.

In his starts last year (that he finished) with a pretty bad roster the Bills were 5-5.

They’ve definitely improved the offense and the defense should be good as well.

I don’t see how this isn’t a 9 win team at worst.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Josh has to stay healthy.

In his starts last year (that he finished) with a pretty bad roster the Bills were 5-5.

They’ve definitely improved the offense and the defense should be good as well.

I don’t see how this isn’t a 9 win team at worst.

I just told someone yesterday that we’re winning ten games on that schedule. Of course that was met with a groan and an eye roll. 

This is probably the most excited I’ve been as a Bills fan since TO was signed. Of course that lasted like a month or two. This excitement feels sustainable. 

I’m not your average fan though, I’ve never been afraid to wear my fandom on my sleeve. I notice too many conditions for a lot of fans “I’ll be excited when...”, “i’d Like to see how _____ goes first”, etc... 

It’s football, if this is how timid people act when they’re choosing to get excited for their favorite teams football season how do they act when real life happens? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Such a difference made through the back end of last year and over the course of the offseason with this roster, together with other recent rebuild examples (Rams) has me guzzling the kool aid like I’m about to be airlifted into the Sahara. Why not us? Why isn’t it our turn to drive deep into the playoffs as a worst/first Cinderella type story? I love Josh Allen. I’m appreciative of the roster overhaul work done by this regime to put him into position to succeed. I love that McD didn’t lose the team even in the worst of the 2018 doldrums, and that there was a palpable rebound effort to close things out—there is a plan going from the trenches right now outwards, and it’s being executed, which is more than I can say for previous regimes going back to Butler. Put me down for extremely optimistic, as I contemplate which kool aid flavor to try next. :D

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I just told someone yesterday that we’re winning ten games on that schedule. Of course that was met with a groan and an eye roll. 

This is probably the most excited I’ve been as a Bills fan since TO was signed. Of course that lasted like a month or two. This excitement feels sustainable. 

I’m not your average fan though, I’ve never been afraid to wear my fandom on my sleeve. I notice too many conditions for a lot of fans “I’ll be excited when...”, “i’d Like to see how _____ goes first”, etc... 

It’s football, if this is how timid people act when they’re choosing to get excited for their favorite teams football season how do they act when real life happens? 

Thanks for letting me know.

I'm extremely optimistic but not necessarily for 2019 but 2020. We all knew JA would need a little extra time to develop and that I'm going to give him. Our off season was fantastic.  I see us winning no less than 8 and possibly as high as 10. But remember it's 2020 when the explosive resurgence of the Bills happens. Brady will be close to retirement, Rosen doesn't concern me in Miami as I'm well versed in his somewhat "annoying" personality. Darnold will be good but not great. But with Josh there's something different and exceptional in his future.  I haven't had this feeling since 89. 2020 is coming!