How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

How do you feel about the Bills in 2019?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Bills right now in 2019?

• Extremely Optimistic
    • Cautiously Optimistic
    • Neither Optimistic or Pessimistic
    • Somewhat Pessimistic
    • Very down on the team. Just get the #1 pick in 2020

Now that the draft is over I think it's a fair question to ask.  The WR position still worries me but I think it was a solid draft.  I want to see Allen make it through the grind of a full NFL season before I'm ready to declare him the next Jim Kelly but there's obviously good signs.  He seems to be taking more of a leadership role this offseason and doing things that may not readily be apparent as far as stats go.  

On the other hand I really drank the Bills Kool Aid the offseason of 2012.  I wasn't a member of this site yet but apparently the Mario Williams signing thread is still the longest in this sites history.  That was a huge deal at the time.  Plus that team reminded me of this one in terms of the good morale of the players.  However, the 1st game against the Jets that year we got destroyed.  At the end of that year I said I'll always wait and see.  The Jets on the road is the 1st game this year.  Hopefully that one sets the winning tone.

In short I'd go with cautiously optimistic.  There's good stuff this off season but aren't going to get over confident.  

To many new folks, to many moving parts, to many unproven guys.   8-8 would be a surprise to me....7-9 or 6-10 are probabile.  I would ,however, think 6-10 would be a disappointment.  If the D works out  (the Bills best chance btw), they could win 8 though.  Stability in the D now, with Fraser and company in the 3d year.  Folks know what they are doing in the scheme.  So many personnel changes in the O though, they will be starting from zero.  And, our QB is full of promise but is still not yet proven as a pro.....I suspect he will be better this year, however, and show he belongs.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm thinking 9-7 is feasible. Anything less would be a disappointment. Hope that's enough to make the playoffs. I can't see us winning less than 8 games unless something bad happens, like Josh missing a lot of games due to injury.

I will say this: the hype for Josh Allen is very high among Bills fans. It has grown into a monster. I bet fans will be disappointed when they realize he still has a long way to go and is not yet the franchise QB we all hope and expect him to be in the future. He is still going to make head scratching decisions and he will still miss open guys from time to time. Fans will need to be patient with him.

• Like (+1) 7

I’m cautiously optimistic as well, which, like yourself, is a stretch for me. Just show me the GD baby already.

Both the draft and free agency added some nice pieces, but this team will only go as far as Allen will take them. And Allen is still a huge question mark in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 2

Gotta start fast.

Can't have press conferences saying "We've got to get better"... they already need to BE better coming out of camp/pre-season.

Win 2 @ Met Life and go from there. We'll learn a lot week 1.

They have a very favorable schedule this year.

• Mia x2, Jets x2, Giants, Redskins, Bengals, Titans, Denver "should" all be winnable games.
  • Dallas, Baltimore are crap shoots, but on paper I like our chances
  • NE x2, Pitt, Philly, Cleve will be tough ones

Travel schedule could not be better.

• Nothing West of Dallas
  • At home, in their own beds from Oct 6 to Nov 16 (minus one quick trip to Cleveland)

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 4

If i'm breaking down this team, it really does all hinge on Josh Allen.  Beane has done enough to allow this to be a true statement.

Last year, he was basically all we had.  This year:

-Boderline elite defense.

-Potential Top 10 OL

-Average skill positions that can be elevated by Josh Allen and the OL, provided they are up to the task.

• Like (+1) 4

I loved how FA and the draft played out. Both our OL and DL  will be solid this year. Looking forward to a resurgence of the running game. I do understand people's concern about the WR position, but in my eyes they've done enough to improve things significantly from last year. We have Brown and Foster to stretch the field. Zay and Beasley for intermediate routes. I honestly Duke Williams will be a great addition and knows how to get those contested balls. The screen pass and dump offs will be there because every D we face will be watching out for #17 from taking off with his feet. 

I'm especially optimistic after re-listening to the several videos of people taking about Josh pre the 2018 draft. People like Trent Dilfer going on about how they've never seen anyone with the combination of skills that he has. The release, the intelligence, the arm strength etc no one that they've ever measured has them. They all say he's raw but that he could develop into something really special. The way he rounded out the season last year makes me believe that as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How do I feel about the Bills right now in 2019 ?

..... hoping that one of my kids will have Thanksgiving at their house so I can do nothing and watch the games like they do at my house every year. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

I am not holding my optimism back.  

I have started every season with the tongue-in-cheek "this year will be different," but I was really just hoping to see some progress to build upon for future years.  This year, I want playoffs and believe we have a playoff caliber team with playoff caliber coaching.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm typically cautiously optimistic -- sometimes unreasonably so -- as I look for things to bounce the Bills' way.  This year I'm extremely optimistic.  Josh is a year into the system, the OL has been overhauled, ST should have renewed vigor with the new coach, and the D should be even better than last season.

This is an 8-12 win team (and I'll be disappointed with 8 or 9).

• Like (+1) 4

I'm very optimistic about the teams prospects for the coming season.  Management addressed the team's biggest weakness along the offensive line in free agency and the draft.  Getting what looks like a starting RT in Ford, the best center available in Morse along with several other OL veterans that are a huge upgrades from last years group.  Instead of talking about issues with the line there are discussion threads about competition for the starting spots among several good options. 

I like the TE's in the draft and Kroft and WR's Brown and Beasley as it will enable a lot of different formations, 2 TE, 3/4/5 WR's that can create mismatches in both the running and passing game that they didn't have the personnel to pull off last season.  On defense other than Kyle retiring they got stronger with Oliver and some pickups in the secondary.

There's definite improvement but on the other side of it every other team can make the same argument.  I see a team that will compete week in , week out and don't expect we'll be on the short end of any blowouts this year. 

Given what McBean has done in the time that they have been here I'm stoked ever since Marv left & the legends of the Bills hay days of the ninety's i haven't felt as good about the direction the Bills are going in under this regime !!

McBean has a plan & they are implementing what seems to be flawlessly, Beane makes moves & gets players in the draft & doesn't over compensate like Whaley did for Sammy, like he said this draft "we wanted Cody Ford & thought about moving back into the first round to get him but it was too costly" that shows he knows how to work the draft & wound up getting his guy anyway !

The Bills now have all the talent i believe they could want to be more than relevant & as some football folks think might even be able to be the cinderella team this year & with what they have available as far as talent goes if the coaches can get these guys up to speed sooner rather than later with the veteran presence & the highly ranked rookies we could be taking Cinderella to the ball this yr or at the very least buying her transportation to get there !! 

GO BILLS !!!