Post Draft Vegas Season Win Over / Under Bills at 6.5

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

As I understand it, setting odds is less a prediction about the teams for which odds are set, and more about Vegas' opinion of the sentiment of the betting public.  The goal here is to have roughly half the betting money come in on the under side and half on the over.  In essence, Vegas doesn't think the betting public has a real high opinion of the Bills' upcoming season, which should be no surprise.

It’s amazing how this concept cannot be grasped by so many here. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, TigerJ said:

As I understand it, setting odds is less a prediction about the teams for which odds are set, and more about Vegas' opinion of the sentiment of the betting public.  The goal here is to have roughly half the betting money come in on the under side and half on the over.  In essence, Vegas doesn't think the betting public has a real high opinion of the Bills' upcoming season, which should be no surprise.

There is an excellent argument against this. Simply put, it’s that there is so much money bet by professional gamblers who look to exploit mistakes that even if the lines are initially inaccurate they quickly become accurate due to those large, unbiased bets.

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, i have a question for folks who have played win totals before( as mentioned I do not)..can you cash the ticket as soon as the bet hits over or the under is guaranteed? That ticket says event date 12/29/19..if the Bills have 9 wins December 14th, can the dude cash the ticket for his Christmas money?

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

BTW, i have a question for folks who have played win totals before( as mentioned I do not)..can you cash the ticket as soon as the bet hits over or the under is guaranteed? That ticket says event date 12/29/19..if the Bills have 9 wins December 14th, can the dude cash the ticket for his Christmas money?

The second you win, you win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2019 at 5:32 AM, plenzmd1 said:

The correct answer is that you have to wait for the end of the season, even if the bet went over. At least in Vegas. ALL of Vegas. I would assume online books are the same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think they should cover but I don't bet the Bills. If you're a fan, like all of us here are, youre gonna be swayed by fandom. Just stay away.

I have the Ravens at under 8.5. I can't see them winning 9. Their line fluctuates a decent amount.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:54 PM, LabattBlue said:

It’s amazing how this concept cannot be grasped by so many here. 

I'm pretty sure a non Bills fan sees 6.5 games as a tough choice.  Hard to be objective when its a team you follow and are emotionally involved in

43 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'm pretty sure a non Bills fan sees 6.5 games as a tough choice.  Hard to be objective when its a team you follow and are emotionally involved in

30 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

I don't bet, too chicken. But wow, the Bills line seems like such easy pickings. 

well, the Bills line is now at 7 wins..but standard vig to get that at -110. When it was 6.5, you had to bet $170 to win $100..difference being now at 7 wins you push, paying the vig at and taking 6.5 you win at 7 wins