Steve Tasker belongs in the Hall of Fame

HOUSE

Steve Tasker belongs in the Hall because he single-handedly changed the way the game is played.  Special Teams before Tasker was an afterthought, but Tasker's ability as a gunner, a kick and punt blocker, and a returner fundamentally altered the way NFL coaches approached Special Teams.  He was the best Special Teamer ever.  It will take a while, but he belongs in the Football Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Steve Tasker belongs in the Hall because he single-handedly changed the way the game is played.  Special Teams before Tasker was an afterthought, but Tasker's ability as a gunner, a kick and punt blocker, and a returner fundamentally altered the way NFL coaches approached Special Teams.  He was the best Special Teamer ever.  It will take a while, but he belongs in the Football Hall of Fame.

Ray Guy

Short list.......
  • Like (+1) 1

On November 6, 2009, Andersen was inducted into the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame.[15] On June 25, 2011, Andersen was inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame.[16] On August 10, 2013, Andersen was inducted into the Greater New Orleans Sports Hall of Fame.[17] On December 21, 2015, he was inducted as the fourth member of the team's Ring of Honor.[18][19] On February 4, 2017, it was announced that Andersen would be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.[20]

Image result for morten andersen
Edited by HOUSE

18 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:
Ray Guy

Short list.......

Vinatieri will likely get in.  Also, to my point on Steve Tasker, Ray Guy changed the way the game is played.  He added the concepts of hang time, and punting beyond 40 yards.  For years, he was punting farther than anyone else in the league, by a wide margin.  Well-deserved member of the HOF.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tasker in the HOF?  This question is more interesting than ever because of the rule changes on kick-offs.  His value today would be diminished on kick-offs.  On punts - no change and he was special there.

I'd love to see him get in; I'm afraid his best chance will come on the veteran's committee - and only if the voters on that committee were around when Tasker played, otherwise he'll be snubbed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think based on play he belongs in.  Like some said previously though his broadcasting needs some work.  That should not matter in his consideration for the HOF however he is not doing himself any favors by talking down about playing and practicing and anything football related.  He makes it sound like the glass is half empty on the whole NFL experience and that hard work is for the birds.

I understand he is near 50 now but you should promote the game and the experience a little if you are on the fringe of the HOF.  Even Andre Reed put on a good face to get in.  

59 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Vinatieri will likely get in.  Also, to my point on Steve Tasker, Ray Guy changed the way the game is played.  He added the concepts of hang time, and punting beyond 40 yards.  For years, he was punting farther than anyone else in the league, by a wide margin.  Well-deserved member of the HOF.

Agreed all 3 belong in the hall. I have no understanding why Tasker and Guy aren't there already. They should have been in years ago.

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Just so you know, how he played those "only a few plays a game" changed the outcome of many games for the SB teams.

Coaches like Parcells have often said that he was the only special teams guy that they ever game planned for. Simply put the Bills do not make it to 4 SBs in a row without Steve Tasker. 

I get your point.  I saw Tasker play.  I know he changed games and I'm ambivalent - not entirely negative - about his inclusion in the HOF.  I see both sides but happen to lean toward 'no.'  

But for the pro-HOF games, I'll throw this out from Bruce DeHaven...

“He was the first guy I ever saw anybody actually use three guys to try and block him as a gunner on a punt. He forced people to do things that no one had ever done before on special teams."

"I coached for Bill Parcells in Dallas for four years. I remember him talking about whenever we played Buffalo, telling his team, 'The first thing we’ve got to do is we’ve got to make sure that we contain Steve Tasker because if we don’t get him blocked, then we’re gonna get beat.'"

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/08/29/team-for-the-ages-steve-tasker/aoj8sc8/

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get your point.  I saw Tasker play.  I know he changed games and I'm ambivalent - not entirely negative - about his inclusion in the HOF.  I see both sides but happen to lean toward 'no.'  

“He was the first guy I ever saw anybody actually use three guys to try and block him as a gunner on a punt. He forced people to do things that no one had ever done before on special teams."

"I coached for Bill Parcells in Dallas for four years. I remember him talking about whenever we played Buffalo, telling his team, 'The first thing we’ve got to do is we’ve got to make sure that we contain Steve Tasker because if we don’t get him blocked, then we’re gonna get beat.'"

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/08/29/team-for-the-ages-steve-tasker/aoj8sc8/

That's the article I linked in an earlier post. I was pointing out how all the other people selected to that team for the ages are HOFers or sure picks to be when they become eligible. How can a guy who is that highly regarded the only guy on the list that isn't worthy. He deserves a golden jacket.

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A very coach-like thing to say...

I bet he was way more concerned about Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, and Jim Kelly.

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

100% agree!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, but ever encouraging. The more P/PKs that get enshrined, the closer the Hall comes to acknowledging the best ever ST player. Unfortunately, that’s still a long way off, I think. Hopefully not posthumously enshrined..

I'm not sure Tasker will ever get in.  In how many games did he actually contribute significantly to a win?  Is that even measureable?

I think a guy like Devin Hester should get in as a Special Teamer before someone like Tasker.

• Like (+1) 1