Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

Wow, from the collection of responses so far it's clear this is a pretty tough call with plenty of opinions.

These are the kinds of decisions that Beane gets paid the big bucks for, and the ones that we will look back on when evaluating his skill as a GM. Kind of like one of those key defining decisions.

I think the fact that we were active in FA/trade for a new DE points to the fact that we are looking for an upgrade for Shaq. I don't think Beane will pick it up, but if he doesn't it could put us in a weak position next offseason with regard to negotiations either for a trade or in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like Hughes a lot and I think his sacks go up this year.  Not that sacks mean everything.

In all likelihood Murphy is let go next year.  Shaq is a question and I agree with Yolo that next year they look for the DE of the future.

I extend Jerry if it's the right contract.  If he wants too much for too long you got to let him test FA.

I really think that he may want to stay with the Bills and go for a short term reasonable $ contract.

Beane probably lets it all play out this year as is.  LOL, let's hope Eli Harold turns into Hughes 2.0.

I think it's a mistake to let Hughes walk under any circumstance until he is clearly the #2 pass rusher on the roster.  We have a rookie QB under contract, now is the time to keep top tier talent at the second most important position in football. Extend Hughes for 3 years, give him whatever he wants to keep him.

8 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think it's a mistake to let Hughes walk under any circumstance until he is clearly the #2 pass rusher on the roster.  We have a rookie QB under contract, now is the time to keep top tier talent at the second most important position in football. Extend Hughes for 3 years, give him whatever he wants to keep him.

The first bolded is a great way to say it.  I really like Hughes and would like to see him stay.  That being said it's a long season

and we'll see what happens.

The second bolded I know is more of a cliché,  but there is no way the Bills pay Hughes 21 million a year.

So logic dictates there is a limit.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The first bolded is a great way to say it.  I really like Hughes and would like to see him stay.  That being said it's a long season

The second bolded I know is more of a cliché,  but there is no way the Bills pay Hughes 21 million a year.

He's not going to need that.  

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

When Hughes wasn't being tackled on no-calls every play - he was a beast.  Need to keep him.  Can do without Shaq Kelsay. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Irv said:

When Hughes wasn't being tackled on no-calls every play - he was a beast.  Need to keep him.  Can do without Shaq Kelsay. 

Which is back to what the thread is about.  I think Beane does not 5th year option Shaq and it's probably a good decision not to.

Murphy may have another summer/fall full of nagging injuries.

When Shaq improves only slightly and Murphy is spending more time in the tubs than on the field then extend Hughes.

Beane has a little more time before he has to pull the trigger.  IMO of course but I see your guys point.

The problem with the extend Hughes whatever approach is that when pass rushers hit the wall it comes quickly. You saw it just last year with Orakpo in Tennessee for example. We could pay Jerry in camp and by week 8 he could be done and you have dead money. Any extension with him starts at the 2020 DE franchise tag number as the floor for guaranteed cash. You have to work out a way where as much if that as possible counts against the cap of the first year of the new deal (so 2019 if we sign him before the season or 2020 if we sign him after). Any more than $4m guaranteed after that point is more dead cash than I am willing to risk and that likely makes getting a deal done very difficult unfortunately. 

I still say if he tears it up in 2019 I'd consider the tag for 2020 and then let him walk. He will be 33 by the time 2021 kicks off. 

• Like (+1) 1

With Hughes at the end of his contract and Alexander on the verge of retirement, plus all the one year deals we have, there's a potential ***** load of holes we'd have to fill in FA or the draft. I'd like to pick up his option and re-sign Hughes ASAP so we can go after the final missing pieces next year rather than filling fresh holes

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is guaranteed for injury only until the first day of the new league year in 2020, then it becomes fully guaranteed. It can be rescinded up until that point, as well. 

..even if you decline, I doubt there would be anything close to $10 mil/yr salary offered to him as UFA....think you may be able to-re-sign at a more reasonable rate..........

42 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..even if you decline, I doubt there would be anything close to $10 mil/yr salary offered to him as UFA....think you may be able to-re-sign at a more reasonable rate..........

Perhaps... it’s really intended to be used as an avenue to add a year to a 1st rd pick heading toward UFA, who you intend to keep but aren’t ready to extend long term because the contract will be giant and complicated to negotiate. Basically the franchise tag. It isn’t intended to be used just so you don’t have “another hole” for that one year. No need to pay that much for someone who isn’t considered part of your core team building. If the player isn’t considered integral going forward, no reason for the 5th year given the high price. Looking to next year, unless Tre takes a step back, there will be no debate and his will get picked up early like Zeke, Wentz, Bosa etc. Those are the types of players who get the option picked up, or should. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

$14 mil ??  NO  WAY...forget about it

he's barely worth half that

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bills-have-decision-on-hefty-fifth-year-option-for-de-shaq-lawson/ar-BBWngAa

I believe it will be less because he was selected outside the top 10, despite what the article says. Still would be around 10mill. It’s the average of the 3rd-25th highest DE salaries from 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Perhaps... it’s really intended to be used as an avenue to add a year to a 1st rd pick heading toward UFA, who you intend to keep but aren’t ready to extend long term because the contract will be giant and complicated to negotiate. Basically the franchise tag. It isn’t intended to be used just so you don’t have “another hole” for that one year. No need to pay that much for someone who isn’t considered part of your core team building. If the player isn’t considered integral going forward, no reason for the 5th year given the high price. Looking to next year, unless Tre takes a step back, there will be no debate and his will get picked up early like Zeke, Wentz, Bosa etc. Those are the types of players who get the option picked up, or should. 

.....nicely done Yolo...thanks for sharing.....probably more of my "senior moment" yap, but it would NOT surprise me one bit if the Plan-A-Holic McBeane already has an extensive chart laid out for 2020....probably includes option years, expiring one year deals, Bflo UFA's and possible league wide UFA's, potential/probable draftees, as well as many scenarios where Bflo may draft....think I'm liking this "in good hands" from the Allstate guy...stay tuned.....

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm Beane, I'm NOT picking us that option. He has simply not demonstrated the ability to get to the QB consistently despite pretty extensive playing time. He's solid, but DE's who don't produce sacks are not coveted on the open market. If he maintains his current level or even jumps to SIX sacks, we're talking about a player that can easily be retained at a team friendly rate. If he busts out and puts up double digit sacks, good for him and the 2019 Bills. Does ANYONE expect that? Roll the dice and make him earn it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....nicely done Yolo...thanks for sharing.....probably more of my "senior moment" yap, but it would NOT surprise me one bit if the Plan-A-Holic McBeane already has an extensive chart laid out for 2020....probably includes option years, expiring one year deals, Bflo UFA's and possible league wide UFA's, potential/probable draftees, as well as many scenarios where Bflo may draft....think I'm liking this "in good hands" from the Allstate guy...stay tuned.....

For sure he does Oldtime.  Along with having his Pro Scouts doing internal player audits and books on each team in the league.

Do you think Buddy Nix had all that stuff?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Irv said:

Another crappy pick by Whaley.  Shaq is too Chris-Kelsay-ish.  Plays like him.  Even wears the same number.  Has done nothing.  Buy-bye. 

He plays exactly like Kelsay and look how long we stuck it out with lunch pail while getting very little production. I say no....

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For sure he does Oldtime.  Along with having his Pro Scouts doing internal player audits and books on each team in the league.

Do you think Buddy Nix had all that stuff?

...Buddy started hibernatin' in November when our season was "officially over" and set his alarm clock for 9AM on draft day......wanted to make sure he was "well rested"..

• Haha (+1) 1