Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

4 hours ago, Seoulful Soul said:

1:  Pick it up?

2:  Let him play and then re-up him if it warrants it?

3:  Let him play and then say good luck with your career?

4:  Cut him/try to trade?

He's been a mixed bag but seemed to start to gel last year.  I still believe he's worth it and it's only 24.

Why not make it a poll?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This really shouldn’t be a question.. Beane absolutely is picking up the option or extending him long term unless like someone else said they really don’t like him. He’s improved every year, and he is young enough that maybe he hasn’t peaked yet. Either way it’s zero risk really to keep him around. I’m in the crowd of sign him up for a team friendly 3-5 years extension while his value is low, just in case with the added talent on defense and offense he produces at a higher level which can skyrocket his price next year. 

Beane says he’ll use the money to lock up the current talent on the roster this is the first real kinda test along with jerry what they do. Beane seems to have a knack for getting players/agents to sign contracts which gives buffalo a lot of flexibility to get out of those deals with little penalty so I would not be against signing Lawson 3-5 years longer the way Beane structures contracts 

Agree with this.   Beane is the master of low downside, high upside short term moves, and picking up the option meets all that criteria.  The guy is a solid DE, as George Costanza might say,    "right in the meaty part of the curve....not fallin behind....not showin off...."

He's not a head case, seems to be a good team player.  Doesn't take plays off.  Still refining his game.   Low cost for this season.  Probably beats out anyone else we have behind him in the rotation.   Trent Murphy is an injury machine, if he and Hughes went down we'd really need the Shaq to step it up.

3 hours ago, Irv said:

Another crappy pick by Whaley.  Shaq is too Chris-Kelsay-ish.  Plays like him.  Even wears the same number.  Has done nothing.  Buy-bye. 

Funny you should bring up Kelsay because I was thinking about that too -- in terms of the current situation. I remember when Buddy Nix signed Kelsay to an extension, he said not every player can be "great" but sometimes you have to do what is necessary to keep your "good" players, as they serve as the back-bone of your team. I see Shaq in that "good but not great" stratosphere as well. Remember, he missed most of his rookie season with the bum shoulder, then had to learn an entirely new defense in year 2 under McD before showing real signs of improvement last year in season 2 under McD.

I agree with those who suggest trying to sign him to a contract extension now that is more beneficial to the team than exercising the year 5 option -- before he potentially increases his value this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

$14m for 3 years sounds about right.

$14m for 1 year is crazy for a 4-3 DE who doesn't get consistent pressure on the QB.

But you'd have to make that money over 3 years guaranteed otherwise what is the incentive for the agent to sign? When people start talking about 5th year options and franchise tags it is important that they recognise that those are fully guaranteed and as such they set the market for players that you are considering using them on.  If the Bills want to sign Shaq Lawson they need to give him however much new guaranteed money the 5th year option puts on the table. Otherwise his agent is going to let this play out in 2019 and test Shaq's value in FA next spring. At that point once Shaq and his agent get a feel for what his actual market is then you have a different starting point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Who would you have picked in his place? 

I say that, because if you go back in look, there weren't really any better options.  Maybe in the next round there were, but those were all reaches at that spot.  

I would have picked Jyles Mack.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The fact that they haven't made a decision yet tells me they are still exploring a trade. They know what Shaq Lawson can do, it's not like they need to watch the tape again. If a trade happens they won't pick up his option, if it doesn't they will.

I just don't see a trade unless they get a DE in return and that would be an oddity, DE for DE trade. Murphy is too injury prone to be relied on and the depth at DE is thin. I think they let him play out his contract this year and maybe try and work out a new contract along the way.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speaking of the 2016 draft

Interesting to look back on that draft.... I was high on Shaq and he hasn't been the player I hoped he'd be at the NFL level.... but beyond that I think I had a pretty good year that year. I loved Deion Jones (had a 1st on him), loved Ryan Kelly (the highest graded center I have had since doing this), liked Dak a lot (2nd on him), had Ramsey as an elite corner (and did not need to move to safety as the buzz at the time suggested), didn't like Noah Spence, hated Paxton Lynch, though the 49ers guard was mid rounder, said it was a bad receiver class.... My two biggest mistakes in that draft I think were Shaq and I did quite like Eli Apple too. I thought he went a bit high as a top 10 player but I did have a 1st on him.

The run defense isn't good enough to take the loss of Shaq and still perform at the same level.  Remember, we were the #2 ranked D mainly because our passing D was #1, but our rush D was #16.  

I think the run D was "just good enough" for McDermott's defense to work well.  The pass defense will suffer if we become too soft against the run.  

He fills a need, we have the cap space, and he hasn't reached his peak yet.  I hope he's extended if the do end up exercising the option.  

While we do have cap space, allocated 14 million to Shaq is insane. Playing Jerry Hughes another 14-15 million per is also insane. People think paying Frank Clark 20 million is crazy. The dude is a dominant player. Paying 28 million to Shaq and Hughes is not happening. I don't care how much cap space we have. It's a terrible use and allocation of funds. 

The problem is that outside of Clowney, Mercilus and a few others, it is not an amazing FA class. Guys like Ngakoue, Vic Beasley, Dante Fowler still don't quite fit the mold of long ends. Clowney is the perfect fit going forward. I would try to build a trade with Houston. Hughes, Zay Jones and 2020's second rounder for Clowney. Then I would try to trade Shaq to the  Cowboys for Taco Charlton, who has been a bust for them. Trade our disappointing end for someone else's putting the 5th year burden on somebody else and see if a change of scenery helps Taco. His 5th year option decision would come in 2020. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting to look back on that draft.... I was high on Shaq and he hasn't been the player I hoped he'd be at the NFL level.... but beyond that I think I had a pretty good year that year. I loved Deion Jones (had a 1st on him), loved Ryan Kelly (the highest graded center I have had since doing this), liked Dak a lot (2nd on him), had Ramsey as an elite corner (and did not need to move to safety as the buzz at the time suggested), didn't like Noah Spence, hated Paxton Lynch, though the 49ers guard was mid rounder, said it was a bad receiver class.... My two biggest mistakes in that draft I think were Shaq and I did quite like Eli Apple too. I thought he went a bit high as a top 10 player but I did have a 1st on him.

We could have had Michael Thomas and Jarran Reed...pretty terrible draft, but some gems came from it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
Sorry for the Rosetrbation but I was trying to think of somewhat realistic trades

24 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

True, I was just answering the question of who I would have picked over Shaq.  If you look at who went after Shaq, there's not much value anywhere.  

That makes sense, but what I am really driving at is that the Shaq pick gets bashed often, but no one ever considers what the alternatives were.  There really weren't any. 

• Like (+1) 1