Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

pick it up.  Worst case is a high-end backup player at a high-end backup price.  He is a VERY good run defender.  he improved last year.  If he improves that much again this year, we will be very happy we extended him.  Plus, he likely puts up great numbers with Oliver taking so much attention.  

7 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

He's had some big hits.  He's super motivated.  Oliver will create more opportunities for him.  Our defense was number 2 in the league with Shaq in the lineup.  Keep him.  His first year was a wash because of the injury.  Nobody got a lot of sacks on this team, but he had some big hits.  Keep him.

totally agree with this.  Plus, he was one of our best, if not best, run defenders.  And we need players who can defend the run.  

1 hour ago, Woodman19 said:

Exactly, you can do better in free agency with $10.2 million than Shaq.  Don't overvalue him just because he's home grown.

10 mil is basically a solid player salary now a days . I think its worth the risk because we can just release him at the end of the season if he doesn't have a serious injury. If he steps his pass rush up to around 8sks and can still be one of the best at DE against the run then he'll be well worth it.  Plus we have to keep that franchise tag available for Jerry . So give him the 5th yr option and hopefully he blows up this yr and we won't have to make a decision on him and Jerry.

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

Give him one more year to mature...keep him around.  Let him walk if he doesn't earn the 10 mil in his option year.  He is young, and apparently has finally learned how to be a pro.  Maybe he will be a late bloomer.   terrible Whaley/Ryan pick though....he was not ready.....

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

And we have the cap room, so it's worth the chance.

This is really it.  If we were tight to the cap, then it's probably a no, but in this case, why create a hole just to save Terry a few bucks?  Replacing him in FA would cost way more to get someone that likely isn't going to be much better if at all.

12 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't pick up the option.  I thought we won the lottery when Shaq dropped to us at 19, but he has not lived up to that first-round billing.  Solid player, but not worth $10M.

Isn't it $14M he'd get on the option? 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/04/bills-undecided-on-shaq-lawsons-fifth-year-option

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Another crappy pick by Whaley.  Shaq is too Chris-Kelsay-ish.  Plays like him.  Even wears the same number.  Has done nothing.  Buy-bye. 

Funny. I was just comparing him to Kelsay in my mind.

Trade Shaq and our 2020 1st for Clowney and a mid-round pick.  

Zero reason for us to be slotted in the top half of the draft, especially with Clowney on this DL.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Give him one more year to mature...keep him around.  Let him walk if he doesn't earn the 10 mil in his option year.  He is young, and apparently has finally learned how to be a pro.  Maybe he will be a late bloomer.   terrible Whaley/Ryan pick though....he was not ready.....

I agree , just look at Jerry it took him 4yrs to get his career on track. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

i don’t think he’s earned that 5th year money yet but I think he could earn a long term deal this year. If he doesn’t, take the comp pick and move on. 

My thoughts exactly.  I believe they'll take the compensatory pick.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Who would you have picked in his place? 

I say that, because if you go back in look, there weren't really any better options.  Maybe in the next round there were, but those were all reaches at that spot.  

The fact that they haven't made a decision yet tells me they are still exploring a trade. They know what Shaq Lawson can do, it's not like they need to watch the tape again. If a trade happens they won't pick up his option, if it doesn't they will.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think there is any way they pick up the option. I just don't think they love him as a player, and I as I said yesterday on the board somewhere, I don't think they want to tie up funds to guys who don't truly fit their vision. I like Shaq and I think there is still some upside there. But you really can't justify giving him 11-14 million on a 1 year deal. Picking up the option on Shaq and extending Jerry is going to tie up 25-30 million in cap for 2020. I think they use those funds and try to acquire a different group of defensive ends. I'd rather sign Clowney and give him 30 million up front than sign those two guys. 

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but they Bills are going to have a ton of cap space next season. I could be wrong, but I doubt they extend Hughes. Paying older players for past production is never a good idea, and he'll be 32 by the start of the 2020 season. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Who would you have picked in his place? 

I say that, because if you go back in look, there weren't really any better options.  Maybe in the next round there were, but those were all reaches at that spot.  

Yeah, it was a pretty terrible first round, but some really nice players in round 2.