Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

2 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Why not pick it up?  If he has another pedestrian season in 2019 we can just release him or trade him.  Am I missing something? 

If if he plays great that is a good problem to have. 

If he gets hurt, it is guaranteed 

I think by picking it up it sends a message that mediocrity is good enough. Yes he’s a good run defender but he hasn’t proven that he can perform at a high level as what his position is really paid to do - affect the passer. You don’t pay guys 14 mill to set the edge vs the run, you pay them that much to pressure the QB. He hasn’t shown that yet so it looks bad imo to pick up the option at this time. He still has a year to show that he is worth it, and if he does, the Bills can pursue an extension. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't pick up the option.  We need more hurries and sacks and that's not Shaq's strong suite.  We're on a mission to find and add that to our roster - and settling for Lawson at the projected price doesn't interest me.  

There's a reason we were talked about being in on Clark, Clowney and Insah.  

13 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought it is only guaranteed if he gets injured during the 2020 league year which starts March 1 and not during 2019. 

It is guaranteed for injury only until the first day of the new league year in 2020, then it becomes fully guaranteed. It can be rescinded up until that point, as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just can't see it going up that much from last year.  I think it may be the number for a DE in the top 10 pick which Shaq was not.

It's the only $ number I have seen so far but.......................

Last year a DE between 11-32 was just over 9 million.

Even if it's 10-10.5 I don't think they pick it up.  Let him play this year for an outright contract next year.

If he "goes to market" then a DE will need to be addressed.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is guaranteed for injury only until the first day of the new league year in 2020, then it becomes fully guaranteed. It can be rescinded up until that point, as well. 

Ahh.   My mistake.  There is some risk then for the Bills checkbook. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I just can't see it going up that much from last year.  I think it may be the number for a DE in the top 10 pick which Shaq was not.

It's the only $ number I have seen so far but.......................

Last year a DE between 11-32 was just over 9 million.

Even if it's 10-10.5 I don't think they pick it up.  Let him play this year for an outright contract next year.

If he "goes to market" then a DE will need to be addressed.

Joey Bosa option was 14.36mill and he was the only other DE, but was selected at 3. So you are correct it is likely more in the 10mill range but don’t know exact #, it’s the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid DEs in 2018.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You can't pick it up and pay him $10.5-11m. So you only pick it up if you are planning to extend him and if I am his agent my starting point for the extension is "I want more guaranteed than the 5th year option gives me." So you have to guarantee him minimum of $12m which over 4 years if $3m a year before you start on the unguaranteed element. That to me is already getting up there in terms of his value.

I like Shaq but I struggle to make an argument for retaining him on that basis. At the $2m a year he is making now, having him on the roster is a no brainer. At double that price it starts to look a luxury.

Shaq is just one of those good pieces.  A pass rusher who can't rush the passer is like priority 20 when roster building.

49 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That makes sense, but what I am really driving at is that the Shaq pick gets bashed often, but no one ever considers what the alternatives were.  There really weren't any. 

Ragland!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Joey Bosa option was 14.36mill and he was the only other DE, but was selected at 3. So you are correct it is likely more in the 10mill range but don’t know exact #, it’s the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid DEs in 2018.

Thanks.  I was just looking up the other guys to see what another DE was getting paid.

Great "investigative" reporting YOLO.

The Shaq, Hughes, Murphy decisions are tough one's if you ask me.  I'm really curious to see how it pans out.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks.  I was just looking up the other guys to see what another DE was getting paid.

The Shaq, Hughes, Murphy decisions are tough one's if you ask me.  I'm really curious to see how it pans out.

Hughes is a no brainer, IMO.  He's our best EDGE rusher and we don't have a young one in the pipeline.  Plus, his advanced stats bear out that he's a star.  Have to pay him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It is clear to me at this point that they don’t have their franchise Edge Rusher of the future. They should focus on obtaining one via trade, 2020 FA, or 2020 draft. Chase Young is Clowney-like but if he has the year that is expected, he’s a top 3 pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Chemical said:

This was going to be my answer 

Exactly renegotiate his deal if favorable price can be agreed upon. 14 mil is tough to swallow for his production to date. After three years I don't believe in paying for potential.

Pick it up. I think he realized a lot last year. He switched his diet and became more committed. I think he was young and arrogant. He got through most of his football career through pure athleticism. In the NFL it also takes hard work and determination which I believe he has now realized. I don’t think he will be worth the pick he was drafted but I do believe he will be out Murphy for a starting spot 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Hughes is a no brainer, IMO.  He's our best EDGE rusher and we don't have a young one in the pipeline.  Plus, his advanced stats bear out that he's a star.  Have to pay him.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is clear to me at this point that they don’t have their franchise Edge Rusher of the future. They should focus on obtaining one via trade, 2020 FA, or 2020 draft. Chase Young is Clowney-like but if he has the year that is expected, he’s a top 3 pick. 

I like Hughes a lot and I think his sacks go up this year.  Not that sacks mean everything.

In all likelihood Murphy is let go next year.  Shaq is a question and I agree with Yolo that next year they look for the DE of the future.

I extend Jerry if it's the right contract.  If he wants too much for too long you got to let him test FA.

I really think that he may want to stay with the Bills and go for a short term reasonable $ contract.

Beane probably lets it all play out this year as is.  LOL, let's hope Eli Harold turns into Hughes 2.0.