Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

What am I missing - why WOULDN'T he be extended (option picked up)? If there is no downside - he can always be released prior to his fifth year with no money lost - but there is upside, if he does put it all together this year and have a breakout year, we retain his rights for another year, to play, sign to a longer contract, or trade.

Edited by bourbonboy

10 sacks in 3 years.  Gotta do more than set the edge in a defense where we rarely blitz.  I guess I'd pick it up since we're probably not going to be on the hook for the deal if he doesn't pick up his play.  

Kind of a gamble if he suffers an injury and can't pass a physical - but i like gambling so I'm in.  

• Like (+1) 1

This really shouldn’t be a question.. Beane absolutely is picking up the option or extending him long term unless like someone else said they really don’t like him. He’s improved every year, and he is young enough that maybe he hasn’t peaked yet. Either way it’s zero risk really to keep him around. I’m in the crowd of sign him up for a team friendly 3-5 years extension while his value is low, just in case with the added talent on defense and offense he produces at a higher level which can skyrocket his price next year. 

Beane says he’ll use the money to lock up the current talent on the roster this is the first real kinda test along with jerry what they do. Beane seems to have a knack for getting players/agents to sign contracts which gives buffalo a lot of flexibility to get out of those deals with little penalty so I would not be against signing Lawson 3-5 years longer the way Beane structures contracts 

I'm torn on this DE situation.  I feel the Bills either keep Lawson or extend Hughes.  Losing both at the same time is quite a predicament.  If all goes well this season, the Bills won't have a high draft pick next year.  The early mocks have 4 or so receivers with 1st Rd grades.  My guess is Bills want to draft a WR1 next year.  This would leave DE as mid 2nd pick maybe worse.  I'm leaning towards extending Hughes.  He's better at getting to the QB.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

i don’t think he’s earned that 5th year money yet but I think he could earn a long term deal this year. If he doesn’t, take the comp pick and move on. 

Agreed.

It appeared as though he finally learned under this coaching group that the fact you were a first rounder means exactly jack-s**t. If he can continue with that mindset, then he is a piece worth keeping.

During the Rex years he saw a ‘leadership’ group that provided no leadership and he appeared to have followed suit. 

1 hour ago, Seoulful Soul said:

1:  Pick it up?

2:  Let him play and then re-up him if it warrants it?

3:  Let him play and then say good luck with your career?

4:  Cut him/try to trade?

He's been a mixed bag but seemed to start to gel last year.  I still believe he's worth it and it's only 24.

It's a good question.  For others like me who had to look it up, it's $14.4M.  We can afford it.

Obviously the money-smart thing to do would be to try to sign him to a longer contract for less money.

If Beane wants to sell the idea of "pay for performance", he pretty much can't option him - he hasn't played like a $14M man.

On the other hand, he may be quietly shopping him to a team who would like him tied up for 2 years (recall we said we wouldn't have traded for Benjamin if the Panthers hadn't optioned him), so if the Bills did option him I wouldn't get all excited about it.

• Like (+1) 1

$10m guaranteed only for injury is not a big price to pay to keep a guys rights for another year if he has the potential to be a 7-8 sack guy this year.  They gave Trent Murphy $10m in guarantees.  Not exercising his 5th year option would be pretty damning and I’m not sure how they don’t bring somebody else in this year if that’s Beane’s opinion of him.  

He's had some big hits.  He's super motivated.  Oliver will create more opportunities for him.  Our defense was number 2 in the league with Shaq in the lineup.  Keep him.  His first year was a wash because of the injury.  Nobody got a lot of sacks on this team, but he had some big hits.  Keep him.

• Like (+1) 2

We've had countless threads about this over the course of the last year. Even the last week or two.

I would not pick up his option. It would be easy to replace his production.

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They have the cap space for this season, so why not.   

Next year he's gone and DE will probably be a round one priority like 3-T was this year...

The 5th year option is in 2020. He is signed through this year. That said, we have the cap space next year too. I just don’t think this regime operates that way. I don’t think it’s an easy decision for them because he hasn’t played up to that salary, yet. Paying it just to not have that hole to fill and not have to answer the tough questions is taking the easy way out. Not really their m.o. 

• Like (+1) 1