Shaq Lawson Option decision week. What do you do?

1:  Pick it up?

2:  Let him play and then re-up him if it warrants it?

3:  Let him play and then say good luck with your career?

4:  Cut him/try to trade?

He's been a mixed bag but seemed to start to gel last year.  I still believe he's worth it and it's only 24.

they will have to pay him 9 mil, right? that is what hughes is paid. There are some guys who make more than 9 mil on this list over whom I prefer Shaq. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-end/ some guys are much better. bills know him better than anyone. he is 24. if they think he has the health and character, then you do it. a breakout year and he will be well north of 9 mil.

• Like (+1) 1

Pick it up. He's not a Hall of Famer, but he's a solid starter, he's healthy, and he brings some years of familiarity with the personnel and the game plan. That stuff isn't sexy, but it's really critical to maintaining a consistent team, and you would have to sign a bona fide stud to compensate for all that. Why risk a change at this point? 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 4

I don't think there is any way they pick up the option. I just don't think they love him as a player, and I as I said yesterday on the board somewhere, I don't think they want to tie up funds to guys who don't truly fit their vision. I like Shaq and I think there is still some upside there. But you really can't justify giving him 11-14 million on a 1 year deal. Picking up the option on Shaq and extending Jerry is going to tie up 25-30 million in cap for 2020. I think they use those funds and try to acquire a different group of defensive ends. I'd rather sign Clowney and give him 30 million up front than sign those two guys. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think the option is $10.2 million......

Exactly, you can do better in free agency with $10.2 million than Shaq.  Don't overvalue him just because he's home grown.

Edited by Woodman19
  • Like (+1) 6

You can't pick it up and pay him $10.5-11m. So you only pick it up if you are planning to extend him and if I am his agent my starting point for the extension is "I want more guaranteed than the 5th year option gives me." So you have to guarantee him minimum of $12m which over 4 years if $3m a year before you start on the unguaranteed element. That to me is already getting up there in terms of his value.

I like Shaq but I struggle to make an argument for retaining him on that basis. At the $2m a year he is making now, having him on the roster is a no brainer. At double that price it starts to look a luxury.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

This is one of the better explanations I have seen.  The option for Shaq is the average of the 3rd to 25th highest players at his position.  It is only guaranteed in case of injury before March of next year (the start of the league year).  If he is on the roster for the start of the league year, its fully guaranteed.

When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.

If they don't exercise it, they really don't want him because there is very little risk of exercising it.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Pick it up.  Solid in run defense, getting better on pass rush.  One more year will allow a definitive decision.

This is where I’m at. They have so much cap space next year and Hughes in a contract season. I’m picking up Shaq’s option because it raises the floor at the position. He’s already solid and is an ascending player. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m guessing his signing, or not, will have more to do with his relationship to The Process and whether management believe he’s all in. This is something that fans will never know. He’s certainly not performed so far to first round status but it might be the coaches (who didn’t pick him) see him on an upward trajectory.

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/27/nfl-rookie-contracts-explained-fifth-year-option/

This is one of the better explanations I have heard.  The option for Shaq is the average of the 3rd to 25th highest players at his position.  It is only guaranteed in case of injury before March of next year (the start of the league year).  If he is on the roster for the start of the league year, its fully guaranteed.

When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s roster at the start of the League Year in his option season, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury.

Exactly correct.  It’s what makes me think picking up his option is a possibility.  Just to cover our butt since Hughes is due to be a FA and to make sure the DE cupboard isn’t totally bare.  It can be rescinded anytime before the next league year starts as long as he’s healthy.  I’ve advocated for that recently, but the more I think about it the more I lean toward passing.  The reason is what many here have said: he’s easily replaceable.