What's our best case scenario for O-line?

1ManRaid

Let's say ALL our guys do well in camp, and ignore one year contracts in this consideration as it could be addressed next year.

For OVERALL success, is the ceiling Dawkins/Spain/Morse/Ford/Nsekhe, Nsekhe/Dawkins/Morse/Spain/Ford, or something else?  Do Long or Waddle grab a spot if they step up?

Pre-draft I heard things like how Nsekhe might have been our best current option st RT, but his "true" position was LT.  Now there's the discussion of Ford at RG vs RT.  It makes me think of the value of having the biggest improvement at a single position, or shuffling the line for multiple smaller improvements.  Is it better to play to a strength, or minimize weaknesses?  There's the saying about your weakest link, but does that come into play as much considering play calling to work around it?

I know I’m going to hear it for this. Dawkins, Teller, Morse, Spain and Ford. All young guys, would mean continuity. I don’t have a problem with Nsekhe other than he is 33. I’d like to see Teller be successful because they drafted him, I’d like them to be right with draft picks.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'll go with the consensus in the other thread on this...

I know, right?  Hey, OP...you can't have a lamp post without a lamp post so here you go.

th?id=OIP.ntBdiNFC6Vd7So8xbzkujgHaJ4&pid

I don't think even McD or Daboll have a clear idea yet about the starting five - though I'm interested in how others see it all coming together.  

It's going to be an interesting camp.  The coaches are going to have to evaluate these guys quickly so they can name the five starters and start developing some teamwork.  

Man-for-man, it seems we're far better off than last year though the lack of continuity/potential lack chemistry concerns me.

best case would be the best 5 OL on the team all in starting positions

reality is their will be competition and one of the underrated players in this thread might step up and shine. We won't know till they put the pads on

Edited by ddaryl

21 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Still a little puzzled about Spain. Why didn't the Titans try to keep him? Why did he last so long on the market? Why did we get him so cheap?

Wasn't he released after free agency had already been going on? I could be wrong about that.

26 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Still a little puzzled about Spain. Why didn't the Titans try to keep him? Why did he last so long on the market? Why did we get him so cheap?

I could be wrong, but I think Spain was a cap casualty that wanted big money. When he didn’t get it he took a one year deal.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'll go with the consensus in the other thread on this...

Yeah I didn't see a thread about the benefits of playing to your strengths vs minimizing weaknesses.  Thanks for your brilliant insight. 

Dawkins' play did not progress or regress in year 2 and he's publicly owned up to it. I expect an uptick in year 3 given his change of heart. I think playing on such a bad OL discouraged him. He should be pretty excited right now. I do think it will take time for this OL to gel with so many new faces, but the other guy that has to be excited is Shady. Mark my words. He's going to have his best season in a while. Josh should be excited too. If Ford turns out to be as good as I think he can be, this OL will be in the 10 best. That's a huge leap.