Out of Nowhere...I agree with Mel Kiper (take on Allen)

Kiper gets a bad rap and has said some stupid things over the years. But the one thing about him, and DJ, and Mayock, and even Charles Davis is that those guys are actually grinding film. KIper doesn't seem to interested in playing favorites and hyping the teams ESPN loves so much. He just talks about what he sees on film and seems to analyze the situation without too much bias. I actually wanted to hear more from him during the draft, but we mostly got corny Trey Wingo jokes and talks of Josh Rosen trades. Wingo is a humongous douche. McShay I don't love. I did liek Riddick's analysis, but he did seem to be hyping up certain guys and pushing for them to get drafted. But I would have been fine with the show if it was just Kiper and Riddick. I really wish they could clone Mike Tirico. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Who's that joke of an analyst cracking jokes the whole time while Kiper is talking. "There's no way you watched every snap of the Buffalo Bills!"

Isn't that your job? To watch the NFL and be informed about every player and every team? These young "analysts" don't analyze a thing. They watch Sunday night football and call it good. All they do is look at box scores and then they are telling US who is good and who is bad? Preposterous. So disrespectful.

Now get off my lawn!

*Shakes fist* 

?

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...when the Bills drafted Marshawn at #12 in 2007, Bieber McShay snickered and called him "a reach of a bust"......

I think that’s when me hate affair with Todd began.  I wanted Lynch almost as much as I wanted ED

Edited by NewEra
  • Haha (+1) 1

No one can talk that much and not say something ridiculous every now and then, so I don't hold those relatively few things against him.  In this case, he said similar stuff about Allen and the Bills on a WGR segment.  There was a thread here about it and someone said that it was an opninion tailored to the Buffalo market.  It clearly was and is not.  There were games where Josh was the best player on the field and you would need to have watched the games to 1) realize that and 2) think that he can continue to elevate his game as the team around him improves.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

After seeing Josh Allen play on Sundays it's clear that he absolutely has the highest ceiling of the quarterbacks selected last year.  His talent is more raw but his competivness is second 2 none.  I'd take Allen over all quarterbacks selected over the last 5 years except mahomes.

50 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kiper gets a bad rap and has said some stupid things over the years. But the one thing about him, and DJ, and Mayock, and even Charles Davis is that those guys are actually grinding film. KIper doesn't seem to interested in playing favorites and hyping the teams ESPN loves so much. He just talks about what he sees on film and seems to analyze the situation without too much bias. I actually wanted to hear more from him during the draft, but we mostly got corny Trey Wingo jokes and talks of Josh Rosen trades. Wingo is a humongous douche. McShay I don't love. I did liek Riddick's analysis, but he did seem to be hyping up certain guys and pushing for them to get drafted. But I would have been fine with the show if it was just Kiper and Riddick. I really wish they could clone Mike Tirico. 

a good friend of mine got to Bristol CT to watch sportscenter live.  He told me Wingo was constantly pampering himself, looking at a mirror...my friend said you could just tell that Wingo was an arrogant douche, that you could sense it far away

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Threedollabills said:

Gotta love this defence of Josh Allen by, of all people, Mel Kiper. I hope his praise doesn't jinx us! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXh0Wh67OeY at 33:31 copy paste in youtube if link fails

LOL, this isn't to your point at all but just before, they were talking about the great move by the Dolphins to trade for Josh Rosen and how smart it was.

During it, they cued a film clip of bad Rosen plays - throwing pick after pick v. Denver.  Now granted he was getting beaten to a pulp, but still.

You can't make this stuff up.

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

Good for Mel.. ESPN NFL analysts are an absolute joke.  They follow about 8 teams, that’s it.  Then make proclamations based on box scores for everyone else apparently. 

Its not surprising to me that NFLN analysts all seem to like Allen... (Spoiler Alert) They actually have watched him play. 

LOL Kiper said he watched every snap, and one of the others said "there's no way you watched every snap".

Well, first off, there weren't that many of 'em, he only played in 12 games and two of them were halves, and don't waste time on the Baltimore debacle.

Second of all, why the heck not?  I have, and I don't get paid to do this stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

One by one media members are starting to change their opinion of Josh after watching his rookie tape. 

This is, by far, the top reason I get annoyed when "analysts" mention Josh Allen and make it evident they haven't watched his rookie film.

If you've watched his rookie tape, and still conclude that he just misses too many easy throws, refuses to check down when necessary and all that somehow isn't correctable.... then fine, I disagree, but at least you're basing it on something other than "rabble rabble low completion percentage rabble rabble" - Because when I hear that argument made, it's clear you're basing your opinion on a box score and not tape.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Never had a problem with Kiper.  Works hard, knows prospects front to back.  Wrong or right he has always done the work.  Id take him over the new school, cynical "hot takes" every day of the week.  

I haven't been able to take Kiper seriously ever since he said he'd retire in 8 years (last year!)  if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a successful NFL QB

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/19/17226834/mel-kiper-jimmy-clausen-nfl-draft-bet

I can't take him seriously when he trashes us, I can't take him seriously when he praises us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i tried to post this last night but didnt want to put up the whole video.

it is nice to hear good about Allen and the Bills. Seems like we are finally getting national respect.

mel said he watched EVERY SNAP of the Buffalo Bills and said it again when McShay mocked him.

This video made me want to punch smug little McShay in the mouth. Little smug *****-

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

LOL Kiper said he watched every snap, and one of the others said "there's no way you watched every snap".

Well, first off, there weren't that many of 'em, he only played in 12 games and two of them were halves, and don't waste time on the Baltimore debacle.

Second of all, why the heck not?  I have, and I don't get paid to do this stuff.

Why wouldn't you watch every snap?

So stupid, love him or hate him, at least Mel is doing the work. Takes about 45 min to watch each snap from a QB's year, you'd think they would do that for every first year QB to self-evaluate their own opinions from the previous year. McShay really lost some luster in that clip.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I'd seen the end of this video where he says he's going to enter the draft, but not the first part. 

She asks him what the MVP trophy means to him and he immediately starts talking about the team success and how he couldn't have done it without his teammates and scout team. I freaking love this kids attitude. 

Back on topic, McShay's, "there's no way you watch every snap of the Bills." is so obnoxious. With cutups, he could probably knock that out in a day. It might not be in depth, but he could get a good idea of what Allen is about. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I haven't been able to take Kiper seriously ever since he said he'd retire in 8 years (last year!)  if Jimmy Clausen wasn't a successful NFL QB

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/19/17226834/mel-kiper-jimmy-clausen-nfl-draft-bet

I can't take him seriously when he trashes us, I can't take him seriously when he praises us.

I'd be happy if Mel's endorsement wasn't the kiss of death.