Josh Allen's Slant Throws

Rockee96

13 hours ago, mattynh said:

IMOHe has a lot of room for improvement on short passes in general.   Even when a pass is caught that does not make it a good pass.    With the short game it’s a lot about ball placement and pace.   The rb needs to be led away from defender etc.  But be careful the “catchable pass” analysts may attack and scream that there are no accuracy issues.  

This so much.. but be careful around these parts..

He has to improve on those, especially with Beasly here, and hopefully he doesm as he'd be more complete and such a total threat. But ALL QBs and players and humans have weaknesses. Yes it is maddening when QBs miss "easy throws" but his upsides make up for it. So  slants are an important part of the game, and hopefully he can fix this, if not in 2019, not too far off. But again, he does other things few QBs can do and we need to focus on those. You always focus on the strengths of your staff while trying still to shore up the weaknesses.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why yes.  Yes, I believe he may know one of them. 

In fact I believe there's quite the list of (former) posters with whom he is intimately acquainted.

the good new is each new persona seems to mellow out a bit.  i like the softer t-bomb.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/29/2019 at 9:40 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I said this last year. It's the #1 part of his game he will have to work on. We all saw that game and every short slant was behind the wr. This is the throw Brady has turned into a masterpiece.  You will have to work on this more than any other part of his game.

He also has a issue with touch passes, a side effect of having a rocket for an arm. That should come in time as the game slows down for him...

On 4/30/2019 at 2:45 AM, billsfan1959 said:

IMO, Allen's "accuracy issues" are more a product of decision making. It is not a problem of completing the short throws as much as it is learning when to settle for the short throws. Allen looks for that big throw first and loves to live in that 15-25 yard range. When he learns when it is more advantageous to not throw downfield and settle for a shorter throw, his completion percentage will rise.

I hope he improves in that area; however, I love that he looks for that big throw first.

He even admits as much, which is a nice change in philosophy from take what the D gives you and dink and dunk. There are times where you do need to dink and dunk though and that is something he has to learn. Good point!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:47 AM, RyanC883 said:

Great post OP.   I noticed that as well last year.  I think he was trying to "power down" his arm too much.  When he didn't underthrow, he almost took off the hands of some of his WR's.   Having a 2nd year and working on those throws, along with the presence of Cole Beasley should help him this year.  

Elway for instance had a cannon for an arm, the WRs on that team also had to be conditioned to play with a strong armed QB:

Figures for football greats are largely anecdotal but indicate that the greatest quarterbacks had exceptional throwing speed. Brett Favre is estimated at 63 mph, and Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning, 59 mph on short hard throws. The hardest thrower ever may have been the Denver Broncos' John Elway, who may have thrown in the rare category of above 60 mph. "They used to set the Jugs machines at 70 to 80 mph for us receivers to simulate John's throws," recalls Elway's former receiver, Rod Smith.

Elway had to prove that he, too, was much more than just a big arm.

"I think in the NFL it took five, six or seven years to shed the label of just being a strong arm," Elway said.

Elway ultimately became one of the all-time greats. Along the way, his arm helped him make some of the best plays you'll see at the position.

"It's a bonus to have one," Elway said. "There aren't many quarterbacks who have succeeded without a strong arm. Anybody who says having a big arm is overrated is wrong."

"Guys who have strong arms tend to hold onto it longer," Elway said. "I found myself doing it. Somebody who doesn't have a stronger arm will let it go a little early. Those with the big arms hold onto it a little longer. They have to adjust to throwing more with anticipation."

Reid coached Brett Favre when he was with the Green Bay Packers. Favre had one of the strongest arms the game has ever seen, but at times he would rely on that arm too much.

That's the balance that a quarterback with the big arm needs to make: When do you fire it in there and when do you take something off or take the check down? Throttling the thing down is a must at times.

Gunslingers like Favre take chances. That's why Favre is the NFL's all-time leader in throwing interceptions.

"Brett had a heck of a lot of touchdowns, too (second most all-time, in fact)," Reid said. "That's the balance. You are asking a player within a short period of time to make a decision. You have to have those fighter-pilot eyes. You have to put it through a keyhole and you have to do it right now. And then it's over. You have to train yourself the best you can, and then you have to eliminate the fear. You have to fear nothing. "

When Elway played, his receivers talked of the Elway Cross. It was the x from the end of the football that his big throws would leave on their body. Yes, they said in those days, it hurt.

"If they didn't have shoulder pads on, it left a mark," Elway said.

Former Chiefs receiver Albert Wilson, who signed with Miami this spring, said Mahomes' passes have a similar feeling to them.

"You're either going to catch the ball, or it's going to smack you in the face," Wilson said. "It's crazy how hard he throws the ball."

Edit:

Name, College, NFL Team – Ball Velocity in MPH
Josh Allen Wyoming 62 

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, Bills (TE) - 60
Bryan Bennet, SE Louisiana, CFL- 60
Pat Mahomes, Texas Tech, Chiefs- 60
Baker Mayfield Oklahoma, Browns 60

Edited by Reed83HOF