Josh Allen's Slant Throws

Rockee96

He has so much power its probably hard for him to not throw it through the receivers hands (too much speed) on short passes. So by slowing down his short passes he probably gets to "armsy" and becomes inaccurate. Im sure its something he is working on with Palmer this offseason.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's a good observation, and yes, he definitely had issues in the Miami game.  I attributed the first Zay Jones TD to the idea that he might've been trying to make a safe throw away from the breaking DB, but overall he still had some issues with placement on slants.

It's not so much about ability to be accurate, but a continuation of a theme I hammered on during my draft evaluation: he loses significant placement ability when he rushes his outside throws. When it comes to throwing inside the numbers, he seems to be able to speed up his process without losing much precision.

I believe it's a correctable issue, but definitely something to keep an eye on.

Very interesting observation. Bet it’s all footwork 

Great post OP.   I noticed that as well last year.  I think he was trying to "power down" his arm too much.  When he didn't underthrow, he almost took off the hands of some of his WR's.   Having a 2nd year and working on those throws, along with the presence of Cole Beasley should help him this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

He'll get it with time. If anything, it's just a confidence and repetition thing. He is trying not to over power the throw instead of just confidently making the throw.

10 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

I see the same thing. I think on shorter throws he is over thinking and aiming because he can't let it RIP due to how overpowered he is. Hopefully the solution will be more reps, and he can make all of the throws from muscle memory. That's a big key for him this year. 

Yeah, something he will need to work on to become better at.  However at times it actually worked out in our favor...that one slant that was behind Zay in the last Dolphins game directly led to a TD because when Zay adjusted and then spun back the other way the Dolphin defender actually fell down trying to do the same thing which led to a wide open TD...

If they were smart they would actually work on this type of thing in practice(intentional throw behind on the slants) as this could be the new "back shoulder" throw...in fact maybe even more effective because the corner on that side will be the last defender towards the boundary and a throw behind on a slant where the receiver then spins out and heads towards the sidelines will lead to nobody being in that area.

Edited by matter2003

11 hours ago, Rockee96 said:

Hi everyone, I've been following this board for 20+ years and usually don't post much, but I wanted your thoughts on something...

I watched some game tapes from last year, and I noticed that Josh often underthrows his slant passes. Watch the last Miami game - he underthrew almost every slant throw. Do you see the same thing? Do you think this can be corrected? I think he can make all the other throws, but he seems to struggle consistently with the slant. Thoughts?

I think for this particular throw there are several different issues.

#1 is technique.  He doesn't always step into the throw correctly or with his foot pointed the right way.  Sometimes this is because he doesn't have space for a big step.  He needs to learn neater footwork.

#2 is processing speed, which actually leads into technique problems.  He has to process "is the WR running the route where and when I expect and is he open or am I gift-wrapping a pick-6?"  I think this was his major issue.  He was taking that extra fraction of a second to make that assessment and by the time he did, his throw was late and the WR had moved on.  The late throw also leads to technique problems as protection breaks down

#3 is timing with specific WR and yes more reps and a guy who runs more consistent routes will help a lot

Good post, post more.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Yeah that Miami game was bad. But when he threw behind the reciever on slants they actually had a tremendous out come. It would not surprise me one bit if Daboll sees that on film and creates like a fake slant route where the reciever goes for a slant then changes directions and Allen delivers a strike. It catches the defense running the wrong way. It's why Zay was able to find the end zone on a similar play. 

A great offensive mind will see that on tape and potentially come up with a new fad in the NFL.

The back shoulder slant? Hmm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think for this particular throw there are several different issues.

#1 is technique.  He doesn't always step into the throw correctly or with his foot pointed the right way.  Sometimes this is because he doesn't have space for a big step.  He needs to learn neater footwork.

#2 is processing speed, which actually leads into technique problems.  He has to process "is the WR running the route where and when I expect and is he open or am I gift-wrapping a pick-6?"  I think this was his major issue.  He was taking that extra fraction of a second to make that assessment and by the time he did, his throw was late and the WR had moved on.  The late throw also leads to technique problems as protection breaks down

#3 is timing with specific WR and yes more reps and a guy who runs more consistent routes will help a lot

Good post, post more.

mostly this, I think

13 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Yeah that Miami game was bad. But when he threw behind the reciever on slants they actually had a tremendous out come. It would not surprise me one bit if Daboll sees that on film and creates like a fake slant route where the reciever goes for a slant then changes directions and Allen delivers a strike. It catches the defense running the wrong way. It's why Zay was able to find the end zone on a similar play. 

A great offensive mind will see that on tape and potentially come up with a new fad in the NFL.

Notify OBD that it's time for Daboll to put another "branch" on the route tree!

I remember my brother texting during the game asking "Is JA doing that on purpose?" and my other brother

replying "If he's not, he should".

Great thread!

IMOHe has a lot of room for improvement on short passes in general.   Even when a pass is caught that does not make it a good pass.    With the short game it’s a lot about ball placement and pace.   The rb needs to be led away from defender etc.  But be careful the “catchable pass” analysts may attack and scream that there are no accuracy issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe we need to bring in Steve Smith as an offensive consultant with one responsibility; Yelling "Don't throw the ball so hard" throughout the season. 

He's got the 102 MPH fastball. His future is going to be determined by his ability to develop a change-up.

23 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Josh clearly struggles with regulating his power at times. It's like trying to shoot a bazooka at a bumblebee.

My guess on the slants is he's afraid to overthrow over the middle and gift wrap an INT.

A plus thesis! 

17 hours ago, rayray808 said:

For the first time in his career, he will have an entire off season to work on his mechanics

Hopefully he’s working on them now.  I love JA, and I hope he’s taking all the advantages during the off season to learn and improve.  It’s not like there’s any pressure on the guy, right ? :)

On 4/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Rockee96 said:

Hi everyone, I've been following this board for 20+ years and usually don't post much, but I wanted your thoughts on something...

I watched some game tapes from last year, and I noticed that Josh often underthrows his slant passes. Watch the last Miami game - he underthrew almost every slant throw. Do you see the same thing? Do you think this can be corrected? I think he can make all the other throws, but he seems to struggle consistently with the slant. Thoughts?

He did it so much that I think its on purpose. The td to Zay especially....it would be a clever way to get more YAC if hes doing it on purpose. Keeps the defender off balance