2019 Bills have to Outperform the 2018 Bills, by how much is the question

1 minute ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

In preseason?

He said how much will 2019 Bills outperform 2018 Bills. I said by 3 to 4 wins. That means going 9-7 or 10-6.

Edited by MJS

23 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I see no evidence that there is a successful slow progression of improvement model. I can't think of any teams that fall into that category.  The rams, eagles, seahawks are all examples of the much more frequent quick turnaround model.  Broncos and Saints are examples of the "pick your spot " model.  Which team would you hold out as an example that in year 4 or 5 of  coaching change all of sudden pop to the top . 

Well when I say I like where we are headed,  for the most part, Im talking about our drafts, our coaching staff, the philosophy of McDermott and Beane.   So even though our record may not always show a steady linear climb, I think as a whole we are improving.    From one year to the next other teams change,  players get injured... Luck,  refs,  Things happen that alter the year end outcome.  

20 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Well when I say I like where we are headed,  for the most part, Im talking about our drafts, our coaching staff, the philosophy of McDermott and Beane.   So even though our record may not always show a steady linear climb, I think as a whole we are improving.    From one year to the next other teams change,  players get injured... Luck,  refs,  Things happen that alter the year end outcome.  

Fans have been saying this early in the tenure of every regime since John Butler, AJ Smith, et al departed for San Diego in the 2001 off season -- until the regime fails to deliver real improvement and settles for their usual 6-8 wins/season.  I'll remain skeptical that the team is actually improving until they demonstrate it by winning football games with some regularity.  That needs to be a minimum of 9 wins, but I'm not expecting that many.

I fully expect at least 10-6 given the influx of talent to this roster... But the only way they take that step is Allen progressing. 

The key in my opinion is we are going to see a nasty run game this year. 

I expect all 4 top backs to see playing time. 

McCoy keeps dancing Gore will get more carries, if he slows down they’ll sprinkle in Yeldon and at some point we’re gonna see Singletary, ya know the slow guy... he’ll be out there juking people out of their cleats too. 

I 100% expect Daboll to run a nasty run game mixed with play action 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Fans have been saying this early in the tenure of every regime since John Butler, AJ Smith, et al departed for San Diego in the 2001 off season -- until the regime fails to deliver real improvement and settles for their usual 6-8 wins/season.  I'll remain skeptical that the team is actually improving until they demonstrate it by winning football games with some regularity.  That needs to be a minimum of 9 wins, but I'm not expecting that many.

A lot of that is a factor of no consistency and poor drafting.    We'll see what happens.    For now I like where we are at. 

I worry if Daboll is the guy.

This season will be really interesting.  To me, this is where we see if the HC and GM are pushing the right buttons.   I gave them the benefit of the doubt in ‘17 and ‘18.   This year it’s on them.

It doesn’t mean that if they go 6-10 again those guys should be gone but this season is a true data point to measure their success or lack there of. 

On 4/29/2019 at 5:24 PM, PlayoffsPlease said:

2nd year QB  > 1st year QB

2019 WR >2018 WR

2019 OL >> 2018 OL including TE's here

2019 RB = 2018 RB

2019 Defense = 2018 defense

Big improvements in expected in QB, WR and OL.  No talent regressions anywhere. I think its a 5 win improvement , 11-5. 

Hopefully:

2019 McDermott > 17/18 McDermott.

2019 ST > 2018 ST

Edited by BillsfaninSB

6 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

Yes, I was going to bring up injuries.  The Bills were very lucky with injuries last season. IIRC there were no season ending injuries to expected starters until Milano got injured and missed the last 3 games.  Other than that, Allen missed 4 games, T.Murphy and Clay missed 3, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2019 at 3:30 AM, SloanBillsFan said:

Agree. Excited to see "new (definitely) & improved (hopefully)" O-Line. Equally excited to see Oliver on D. Think this might be a make or break season for #17 at least in the eyes of many fans. I'm not too worried yet but the next few months will fly and it'll be mid-season before we know it. 

To early for make or break but he definitely needs to make big strides 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:22 AM, PlayoffsPlease said:

I see no evidence that there is a successful slow progression of improvement model. I can't think of any teams that fall into that category.  The rams, eagles, seahawks are all examples of the much more frequent quick turnaround model.  Broncos and Saints are examples of the "pick your spot " model.  Which team would you hold out as an example that in year 4 or 5 of  coaching change all of sudden pop to the top . 

The Panthers are the example for me of a team that "popped" in year 3. Year 4 or 5 is unusual, for sure. But then it is unusual for a new regime to come in and pass on its own Quarterback in year 1 before loading the trucks up to get their guy year 2. The model the Bills are using is not an often tried on. Rivera with the Panthers went 6-10, 7-9 and then was 0-2 after defeat by EJ Manuel and the Buffalo Bills and his seat was as hot as they come. They went 12-2 from there and won the division.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Yes, I was going to bring up injuries.  The Bills were very lucky with injuries last season. IIRC there were no season ending injuries to expected starters until Milano got injured and missed the last 3 games.  Other than that, Allen missed 4 games, T.Murphy and Clay missed 3, etc.

Murphy was injured all season....

Edited by GunnerBill