Singletary Highlights

2 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

Don't understand the obsession with speed for running backs. As you say Freddy wasn't that fast. From what I can ascertain Emmitt Smith was a around a 4.6 40 guy and our man Thurman was decidedly slower than Emmitt.  

Not a comment regarding the need for speed at rb, but Thurman at 4.47 was decidedly faster than Emmitt Smith. 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bullidiot and Dope were on GR550 this afternoon scratching their heads and wondering how Beane will explain this pick when he isn't fast and he isn't a home run hitter as a RB. Why didn't we pick a TE at that spot? Why did we give up so much draft stock  for a TE when we could have had Sternberger in the 3rd round, blah blah blah.  All I can say is this kid looks like the real deal. They don't call him "Motor" for no reason...this kid has heart and won't quit. Reminds me of another Bills running back with medium speed but big heart - Freddy! Doesn't have the height of FJ but has every bit the same speed and vision. He has a nose for the endzone which is a good thing. Nice job Beane

That’s all because The Lapdog had an obsession with Sternberger. Was calling him his boyfriend for weeks. That’s what happens when you crush on a guy like that and your team doesn’t pick him. You start tearing down all their decisions because they didn’t pick the guy you would take one up the poop chute for. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Some threads give you advance warning of who you should block before the season. There are just so many people on the board since the other site went closed. 

Feel free to block me as well.

6 hours ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

That's pretty much my mindset also... Imma definitely root for whichever RB is on the field obviously but I'm not handing this kid the crown just yet... I'm still of the minority (crazy to be of this group honestly) that still believes Shady is the game changer in our RB group...

I believe McCoy will be in pretty good form this year AND like this pick..why can't you have both?

6 hours ago, Estro said:

I'm not a Singletary guy. He's very small and very slow.

All of his speed and change of direction measurables were really bad......and I think his pedestrian athleticism shows up on tape.

The step up in competition for him is going to be drastic, we'll see how it goes.

What bummed me is I was really high on the 2 RB's that went right before we piked Singletary (Henderson and Montgomery).  Henderson had the speed....and Montgomery I think has the makeup to be a good starter in the league.  A little slow, but I like just about everything else.

"Change of direction" you gotta be kidding....look at the footage, does he seem to have poor change of direction abilities?

Maybe they gotta change the tests?

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not sure what you’re seeing there but he doesn’t look anything like McCoy to me. 

Beane calls him ‘the funnest player’, virtually every college scout references Shady with him but most telling of all, MOST telling of all; your post has 5 wtf emogi’s from fellow Waller’s.

I think that’s a record

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Seems like a really good kid, probably what sold McBeane on him, but I am far from sold on this pick. The tape shows pretty good elusiveness, which is encouraging but mostly I just kept thinking about how small DS is and how bad the competition was he was playing against. 3rd round pick for this guy? I just don't see it.

17 hours ago, foreboding said:

If this has been posted, sorry about that--

Enjoy - this kid has a little Thurman Thomas in him and he plays faster than his combine, though not terrible @ 4.66 I think, and he plays bigger than he is, he is not at all easy to bring down. His field vision is like old Thurman.

To preface this, I was neither pleased nor displeased by this pick, but rather felt there may have been better value talent available. Clearly Beane thinks differently and I can't argue in that regard. To be honest, I'm still not sure where I stand on this pick, especially given the fact I didn't see much of a difference between drafting an RB this year versus next. However, that being said - things I like:

-Uses size to advantage to evade line pressure and squeeze through gaps

-Combined with his size, he is able to accelerate to hit closing window gaps and stretch the defense to the sidelines on outside runs

-Good vision to identify running lanes and second level openings while keeping focus on momentum of defense to switch direction at key points

-His initial instinct (as far as I can see) is to go North/South when possible, and lateral to extend plays and as worst case scenario - doesn't always play this way, but his first moves do seem to be N/S versus McCoy's backfield jump cuts and Bell's wait and see styles. Bit more on this below.

-Doesn't fumble - at least, as far as I could see and per his stats, though these won't ever really make highlights either

-Great attitude - speaks for itself as a key component for the Bills org

Things I don't like/need to be convinced on still:

-Level of competition - I won't argue the kid plays at a level above, and certainly doesn't have celebrity-esque issues - nor is this a marker of busting at the next level as plenty of D2 and a handful of D3 guys have had success in the NFL. However, I do wonder how much of what we see is a reflection of the defensive talent in the conference in which he played. I get that he had better offers and chose to be where he is, but his play is a reflection of other factors as well, the opposing level of competition being one of them. Especially when it's concerning his ability to shed tackles and shift plays.

-OLine Blocking - this being the other external variable to RBs. In the highlights, it did seem that he had ability to produce when independent of the line, and worked well between the Tackles as well. However, his line looked very stout in the run blocking schemes they were employing for the most part which allowed him to exploit the D. While we've invested heavily in upgrading our offensive trench, I'm curious to see how he adjusts to NFL front sevens in this regard.

-Speed - he has it, don't get me wrong. But his top gear separation speed isn't exactly what you would hope for, and yes, that is okay. But given his play style and size at the next level, every position on the opposing defense will be infinitely faster than in college so I do wonder how he will fair when he does break to the next level on runs.

Overall, I see him as a smaller, ultimately slightly slower, less shifty Shady-lite, but without the head scratching backfield jump cuts and proclivity for E/W runs. There were a few plays right out of the Shady book on misdirections to the right where he reverses field - but overall plays hard with demonstrated potential for development, which is the piece that has me more up on him than down. In the end, this is the pick so there's no point in getting upset about missing out on anyone else, but I honestly can't say he's the 3rd/4th round Kamara or other late round gem or ever will be. But hey, here's to hoping I'm wrong, like I most often am.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Estro said:

I'm not a Singletary guy. He's very small and very slow.

All of his speed and change of direction measurables were really bad......and I think his pedestrian athleticism shows up on tape.

The step up in competition for him is going to be drastic, we'll see how it goes.

What bummed me is I was really high on the 2 RB's that went right before we piked Singletary (Henderson and Montgomery).  Henderson had the speed....and Montgomery I think has the makeup to be a good starter in the league.  A little slow, but I like just about everything else.

Why do ppl equi being short to being small?   The guy is over TWO HUNDRED POUNDS at what...5-7?  Makes him a bowling ball

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Why do ppl equi being short to being small?   The guy is over TWO HUNDRED POUNDS at what...5-7?  Makes him a bowling ball

So I'm a bowling ball.... niceeeeeeeee.

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

He's got great feet, that's for sure.

Yeah, i like how when people tackle him he doesnt like run into their tackle, he like absorbs the energy backwards and accelerates on a dime.

With the abundance of rbs, he needs to be pretty special to justify a 3rd round pick.  These guys are so easy to find if you have a good oline.

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He really is not small....just short

Yeah, I will say a short rb who is compact is probably a good thing. 

He certainly has great vision,  keeps his feet turning and has great balance, all important elements to being a successful RB.

My only concern, like most,  is his athletic ability with the big jump up in the speed of the game to the NFL. It's a huge jump when making the move from high level college, it'll be even bigger for Singletary given his level of competition. Will he be able to scoot through those holes when they close a lot faster? It'll be interesting to see how his game translates.

As others have mentioned, his size isn't an issue. He appears to be plenty heavy enough, I'm not sure why that comes up. If anything his height can make it more difficult for defenders to locate him behind the OL. That extra moment to locate him might be enough to counter his lack of speed. 

17 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

I was thinking the same about the Thurman comparison. He hasn't shown anything as receiver, but maybe that can be developed. 

To say he isn't fast enough is ridiculous. he won't be running many sweeps, but his game speed looks pretty ***** good to me.

His change of pace is what makes him so elusive, and his vision is verging on Barry Sanders (no, I'm not saying he is as good as Sanders).

On WGR, Beane said Singletary wasn't asked to catch many passes in college, so during a private workout they had him run routes and catch passes and he did a good job of it. Singletary said he did some catching drills at the combine to show off his hands as well. Sounds like he can do it, he just wasn't asked to in college.

I thought RB was an option in the draft, but not in the 3rd round. That said, I can see why Beane described him as the funnest player to watch in the draft. He's very shifty and does a great job of setting up blocks. 

1 minute ago, 2003Contenders said:

Think, Travis Henry.

I know those comparisons have been made.....but this back doesnt look like he runs over ppl...he is WAY more elusive then Travis Henry.....

but....where they look similar?  Balance.....they both appear to have this low center of gravity that keeps them on their feet