If Bills only keep 3 RBs, it will be Gore, not McCoy, that gets cut

It will be Yeldon that gets cut, I'd wager.

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

McCoy probably has 5 or 6 good games per season left him based on last years debacle.  The question is will he be all used up by week 6, or will the Bills spread out the work load in hopes of getting to the playoff run and playoffs with a rested McCoy. I don't know much about the rookies. The Bills veteran stable to my eyes is just as bad as last years. 

Big huge guess based on nothing. McCoy had nobody to block for him, so how can you pin anything on him from last year's failure in the run game. Everyone with an opinion that matters (Bills decision makers) believe he has a lot left in the tank.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

This what makes this pick even more stupid,  the guy is slow and small and yet will end up making the team just because he was picked 3rd.  The needed WR help and grab some guy who was beasting in a very weak conference. I had no problem drafting a true homerun RB ,  Beane even admitted he is not that.  

?

What dumbass, flannel shirt wearin’, backwoods country goober let you out of your cage?

Oh..

It was me, wasn’t it?..

You should think hard about leaving and try someplace you may like more.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

I think Tyler Kroft or Jake Fisher would fill that role if needed above Knox

I wouldn’t be surprised to see jake fisher back at tackle by the end of the season. Eat up son

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Big huge guess based on nothing. McCoy had nobody to block for him, so how can you pin anything on him from last year's failure in the run game. Everyone with an opinion that matters (Bills decision makers) believe he has a lot left in the tank.

I watched the games.  I watched how McCoy tried to make juke moves that worked for his entire career, but last year were too slow to have any positive effect. Getting a year older rarely helps a old running back get faster. It would be nice if it did.  Our offensive line will be better, I don't think McCoy will be.   I am not saying he can;t play in the NFL.  I am saying he is mostly likely now just a guy, like the rest of the running backs on the roster.  No teams playing the bills will  be spending extra time game planning "to stop mccoy". 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

10 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Dude have watched any of the tape on him.  

6.0 per carry and 66 TDs in three years.

Nope. Another guy that just googled Devin Singletary combine and saw a 4.66. Singletary is going to shock some people with his skills.

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Shady is on the last year of his contract and is a long shot to be back next season.  Frank Gore is on a one year contract and may be brought back next year on a similar one year contract for $1-2 MM if he continues to produce this season and provide some veteran leadership for the offense and RB room.

Shady will also be offered 1 year deals from here on out if he has a good year. No one is going to give him another big contract at his age, so i believe he would take it too. Why wouldn't they want him back if he still produces?

Edited by badassgixxer05

10 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I doubt Singletary is not active.  He is gonna be special I think.  

I think at least early in the season he will be inactive - allowing him time to learn from Yeldon and Gore the art of blocking and blitz pick-up in the NFL.

Then as the season wears on - if you need fresh legs - bring him in and activate him.

Singletary has a lot of carries over the last few years - this will be his learning and recharge year - so he is ready to be RB1 next year along with any other pick-ups we get next off season.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So, if we're 1-5 despite Shady having a rebound year than we shouldn't attempt to trade him given we'll pry lose him in free agency at the end of the season?

If we are 1-5 and Shady is having a great season - then maybe they would look to move on after talking with Shady, but that is very different than your trading him in the pre-season like Watkins.

I do not see them moving on from Shady unless something happens as we get through part of the season and it makes sense to do so.  I do not just see them trying to trade him for future picks as that has less value than his friendship with Josh and the way the rest of his teammates feel about him.

2 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Nope. Another guy that just googled Devin Singletary combine and saw a 4.66. Singletary is going to shock some people with his skills.

I watched the tape.  When numbers are that gaudy it says something.  His top end speed is not the greatest but he plays faster than his forty and he is quick.  I take a quick RB over a fast one any day.

• Like (+1) 1

Gore was signed as much for locker room presence/leadership as for his play.  I think the intent is to keep him on the roster especially since they gave him a $500,000 signing bonus.   But I guess him not making the final roster is possible but only if his performance is really poor.    I see the more likely scenario is the Bills move on from McCoy if everyone is healthy but only because of his contract/cap savings.

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They are definitely going to keep four. We had so many injuries that we had to rely on Keith Ford late in the season. I think they are going with the NE approach of using multiple guys in multiple situations. 

But a couple of them need to play special teams.....not saying they cant or wont but I don't think Gore, McCoy or Yeldon have done that much.

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

But a couple of them need to play special teams.....not saying they cant or wont but I don't think Gore, McCoy or Yeldon have done that much.

Gore and McCoy won't do any of that, though Gore strikes me as a "do whatever the team needs me to do guy." I could see Yeldon doing some of that. Depending on how the roster churns out, you don't have to have a back that plays special teams if you have extra guys at other position to do so. Like Milano and Lorax are starters who still play special teams. You have all of your backup linebackers, plus a bunch of corners and your backup safety, fullback, and tight ends. I do wonder who in the receiver bunch will help here, (I think Foster will still play some teams) but imo you don't absolutely have to get special teams play from your running backs.  

11 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

4 RB’s, no FB- bye Murphy 

Keep an extra TE or OL when we need short yardage.  Senorice Perry is a beast on special teams.  That might factor in too.  Beane keeps stating Shady is in the Bills plans.  Singletary is not going anywhere.  Cuts are going to be very tough.

I remember watching the Joe B camp reports the past few years the WR group has been awful.  True that we can still use a #1(if Foster isn't)now, but they will have quality 5-6 WR.  That is an example of how deep our roster is

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Ford and Murphy will be toast. They had a chance to shine last year and didn’t. FB will probably be a cut, if they need to make one. McCoy’s lack of production was clearly the result of horrendous line play. The Bills know that from watching the game film. If they doubted that, he’d already be gone. The Bills suffered multiple injuries at RB and the reserves were not up to the job, especially in pass protection. That won’t happen again. Gore and Yeldon are both excellent in pass protection.

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’m sticking it in this McCoy thread... 

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/02/bills-robert-foster-still-growing-after-promising-rookie-season.html

Foster made the Bills’ regular-season roster as an undrafted rookie from Alabama. But six games into the campaign, he had two catches for 30 yards. That’s when he got a talking to from running back LeSean McCoy, a six-time Pro Bowler who thought his young teammate could be a lot better than he was showing Buffalo’s coaching staff. 

“Shady came up to me and said, ‘Look, this ain’t college no more. You haven’t done anything since you’ve been here,’” Foster said. “That’s big props to Shady for doing that. I always felt like I worked hard. Shady was the first one in the Bills organization to check me here. That’s why I give him props. There are a lot of people who spoke to me, but not one-on-one in an angry manner. He wanted the best out of me.”

Foster gives Shady some credit for his turnaround.