If Bills only keep 3 RBs, it will be Gore, not McCoy, that gets cut

What level of effort will Shady give? Is he up for proving he still has it, or is he counting on his reputation just giving a half-hearted effort this year. I am not clear on how motivated McCoy is, going into his final season with the Bills (if he hasn't played his final game here).

Edited by buffaloaggie

2 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

McCoy is the only true every down back we have on the roster. What we gonna have Gore tote the rock 15 times a game? I don't see it. TJ Yeldon was brought in to possibly take Gore's position. Yeldon is great on pass protection and is a very capable receiving option out of the backfield. I'm not sure if we keep 4 but if we can swing that I think we will given the age of 2 of our RBs. But if we keep 3, it's probably Gore that's going to be cut, not McCoy

Media just overreacting to a 3rd round pick thinking that the writing is on the wall for McCoy, despite Beane coming out and immediately dismissing all possibility of that and saying that McCoy is still our #1 RB. Beane has been pretty straightforward with the media regarding players, he's not Gettleman that just says one thing and does the opposite.

This what makes this pick even more stupid,  the guy is slow and small and yet will end up making the team just because he was picked 3rd.  The needed WR help and grab some guy who was beasting in a very weak conference. I had no problem drafting a true homerun RB ,  Beane even admitted he is not that.  

2 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

McCoy is the only true every down back we have on the roster. What we gonna have Gore tote the rock 15 times a game? I don't see it. TJ Yeldon was brought in to possibly take Gore's position. Yeldon is great on pass protection and is a very capable receiving option out of the backfield. I'm not sure if we keep 4 but if we can swing that I think we will given the age of 2 of our RBs. But if we keep 3, it's probably Gore that's going to be cut, not McCoy

Media just overreacting to a 3rd round pick thinking that the writing is on the wall for McCoy, despite Beane coming out and immediately dismissing all possibility of that and saying that McCoy is still our #1 RB. Beane has been pretty straightforward with the media regarding players, he's not Gettleman that just says one thing and does the opposite.

Gore was still very productive last year I think his YPC was better then all the RB’s on our roaster , 

Frank Gore Stats 2018,  age 35;

Rush attempts;  156

Yards;  722

Average Yards per carry;  4.6 yards

Receptions;  12

Receiving yards;  124

Average yards per reception;   10.3 yards

For the last 6 years everyone (including myself) has been saying that Frank Gore is too old to keep playing at a high level and is about to hit "the wall".  He does hit the wall every year and runs right through it.  If he can contribute 4.6 yards per carry on 150 rushes this season for us, that would be huge. 

I'm done saying that Gore is too old to play RB in the NFL.  I've been wrong too many times. He is one of those athletic freaks like Adrian Peterson.  A combination or great genes, a phenomenal work ethic to stay in game shape, and a fierce drive to compete.  I think the Gore signing was brilliant.  They are not looking to have him carry the rock 200+ times.  I would expect a similar work load to what he had in Miami last year.

I think he and Shady will just about evenly split RB1 duties and they will bring in Singletary for a change of pace back and to also get some valuable game time experience for when he is the feature back next year.  Yeldon will be the receiving back like James White in New England.

If Singletary plays so well that it's hard to keep him off the field, that's a great problem to have, and I think he eats into Shady and Gore's time share equally.  

• Like (+1) 2

McCoy probably has 5 or 6 good games per season left him based on last years debacle.  The question is will he be all used up by week 6, or will the Bills spread out the work load in hopes of getting to the playoff run and playoffs with a rested McCoy. I don't know much about the rookies. The Bills veteran stable to my eyes is just as bad as last years. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

This what makes this pick even more stupid,  the guy is slow and small and yet will end up making the team just because he was picked 3rd.  The needed WR help and grab some guy who was beasting in a very weak conference. I had no problem drafting a true homerun RB ,  Beane even admitted he is not that.  

Dude have watched any of the tape on him.  

6.0 per carry and 66 TDs in three years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I feel like its oft mentioned here, but shady simply is worth more to the team then he’d likely fetch in any trade scenario. 

So, if we're 1-5 despite Shady having a rebound year than we shouldn't attempt to trade him given we'll pry lose him in free agency at the end of the season?

Shady is on the last year of his contract and is a long shot to be back next season.  Frank Gore is on a one year contract and may be brought back next year on a similar one year contract for $1-2 MM if he continues to produce this season and provide some veteran leadership for the offense and RB room. Yeldon is on a 2 year contract averaging $1.6 MM a year.  Unless Yeldon is horrible this season I would guess he is back next year too.

In 2020 I think the plan will be Singletary as the feature back, Gore or some other free agent or draftee as the change of pace back, and Yeldon as the receiving back.  With those three combined next year, the RB position will cost less than $5 MM.  Pretty good value there.

3 hours ago, buffaloaggie said:

What level of effort will Shady give? Is he up for proving he still has it, or is he counting on his reputation just giving a half-hearted effort this year. I am not clear on how motivated McCoy is, going into his final season with the Bills (if he hasn't played his final game here).

Very. He wants canton bad.  Not quite there yet.

13 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Slow like Kareem hunt and Le’veon Bell 

Small like Kamera, Hunt & Maurice Jones Drew 

Stupid picks also?  (Hunt’s off he feild stuff not withstanding) 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

They keep 4 and a fullback. 

Last year they started 4 RB’s during the season. We had to call one up from the practice squad for those who forget (Kieth Ford). 

NE runs with 4 backs every season. We run a similar offense. I’d imagine they want McCoy to get 15-20 touches. Gore will get 6-10 (pass blocking downs). New kid will factor in as well as Yeldon. They just might not all get their touches the first few weeks. But the RB’s are going to get banged up. It’s football. Beane and McDermott said they want to run and play action. We couldn’t do that last year. We will this year and watch Josh Allen progress this season because of it. Good things my friends. Good things.