Cody Ford - Some Observations From the Orange Bowl.....

19 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When we drafted Cody Ford I was elated. This team needed more blocking despite the UFA signings. Being a skeptic, I still had some fears because of the possible "Mike Williams Syndrome." I was afraid that he might be a big monster in a defensively weak conference. So, I watched my recording of the Orange Bowl (Oklahoma vs, Alabama) and focused on Ford for the entire game.

Let me tell you, those fears have been extinguished.

Ford played primarily against Anfernee Jennings, a pass rushing "tweener."  If he stays healthy he will be a first round pick in  2020. He also lined up a lot against 6'7"/317 Raekwon Davis, another star player. Jennings did have 1 sack. Ford had him blocked and when Murray took off and ran, Jennings took him down from behind with 1 hand. This was NOT on Ford, who had Jennings under control for most of the game. Jennings also blocked a pass, but this will happen to Murray because of his height. Again, no big deal.

He went up against 2 subs, Labryan Ray and Johnny Dwight, both very good players. He completely neutralized Ray, and pancaked Dwight (listed at 301 pounds)!!!  He did give up a sack to Davis late in the game but he was doing a great job containing him on almost every play. Ford is a badass, who plays to the whistle.

Please keep in mind that Bama was up 28-7 at the half. They knew damn well that Murray was going to throw which gave them an obvious edge. They didn't blitz that often because of how well Murray runs but still, Ford not only held up, he was (imo) just short of dominant playing at a disadvantage (the score), and against great competition.

In summary, I am happier about this OL draft pick than I have been about any since they took Reuben Brown! This guy is as strong as an ox and fearless. He would have been totally worth a 1st round pick from what I saw. He is going to protect our QB and open holes for our RBs.  I'm loving it!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Mike Williams Syndrome." pertains only to TEXAS! :)

Their lineman are always soft.  Ask the cowboys about their Connors that they took last year... :)

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Maybe I am just shell shocked from decades of this team not being able to retain their early draft picks.......even ones who earned it with excellent play.......due often to cost/value equations like the one I can see coming with Dawkins.   

As you well recall, I know the feeling. When the Bills didn't seek to re-sign Levitre, he was a top LG, well suited for the new NFL passing league. To be honest, he wasn't the same after he left; I always suspected injuries to be the reason.

The thing I like about Ford is the power, determination, and stamina that he displayed against the Crimson Tide. I was keying on him the entire game, complete with rewinds and the kid only had 1 play which in which I considered him to be getting beat. This play happened towards the end of then game.

For decades, I have wanted the Bills to be a tough team. I want other teams to come up to Orchard Park and get beat physically. I was right there with you at Ralph Wilson Stadium watching weaklings like Terrance Pennington and Demetrus Bell play for the Bills. It was not only a disgrace, it was torture imo lol. These were weak players by NFL, or even SEC standards. If we miss on Ford, at least we will be missing with a big badass who held up well against the Crimson Tide and not a Leotis McKelvin or Donte Whitner.

For the record: the few times I have disagreed with you about the Bills over 20 or so years, I have been wrong every time I can remember.

I hope this time breaks the trend. :) :) :) 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

I follow the Eagles model of drafting in that your first round pick should be spent on three positions Quaterbacks (for obvious reasons) or players rushing the passer or protecting your QB. The Eagles since 2003 have only two times spent a first round pick on a player outside of their Lines or QB (Nelson Agholor in 2015 and Jeremy Maclin in 2009 both WR's for whatever that is worth.) 

The Bills not only secured a piece to their defensive line in Oliver but they also secured a strong first round caliber talent in Ford. Ford reminds me of Cordy Glenn a lot and Glenn was for about 4-5 years a really good starting caliber OT before injures kept him off the field (although whenever he was on it he was still a good player.)

I think that the Bills should continue to follow this model. Beyond Oliver there isn't a lot of youth along the D-line, I suspect the first round pick next year will also be on a pass rusher or a guard. I think you can address skill position players in round 2 where the Eagles (whose model I would follow) have found elite players (LeSean McCoy, Zach Ertz, and DeSean Jackson were all second round picks.) 

Keep stacking the lines year in and year out address other needs via free agency and in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/29/2019 at 10:35 PM, Da webster guy said:

Yeah i saw a handful of his pulls.   Seems very quick and picked the right target.   He'll be a solid addition for sure.

...was always fun watching Richie pull.........watching HOF tandems like Shell/Upshaw or Hutch/Jones were always a thing of beauty..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1