What happened to Anthony Johnson?

McBean

5 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

To date, I don't believe he's been signed as a UDFA by any team nor has he even been extended a minicamp invite.

If you are referring to Anthony Johnson, he was signed as a UDFA by Tampa Bay.

36 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If you are referring to Anthony Johnson, he was signed as a UDFA by Tampa Bay.

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Ah, ok. I was. I read a list of UDFA's on NFL.com last night and didn't see his name. Thanks.

It's puzzling because while he retweeted a tweet that he was signed by Tampa, he not only doesn't show on NFL.com's list of FA signings, he doesn't show on Tampa Bay's list of 14 FA signings.  Perhaps he wasn't signed, just given an invite to their mini camp?  Or perhaps his signing is being held up by a physical? (warning: their web page content needs format assistance).  They've got 2 WR and a TE on there, but Anthony Johnson isn't.

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs-add-14-undrafted-free-agents-20617587

Personally, I think if a player wants a shot in the NFL, unless he's at the very top of the draft class and has no injuries or other questionmarks, he's a great big dufus if he lets it be known he doesn't want to play for absolutely any team that is willing to give him a shot to come in and compete. 

A player letting it be known that he "wanted no part of (team X)" for a lower-round talent would be a big turn off for me, were I drafting or signing guys on the other 31 teams.

Edit: and Tampa's roster is not only full, they released a guy to make room for the 14th UDFA so it's not like they're leaving a spot open for him.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What an arrogant dufus if true, given that the Bills had plenty of other choices to draft and sign and that he didn't have a great 2018 campaign - possibly due to injury, but coming in injured is not a recommendation for a bubble guy in the NFL, either.

I can't help but think that's an attitude (if true) that would hurt his chances of being signed by one of the other 31 teams, even if he has potential at the next level.

Edit: OK I was thinking "what would make me change my mind?"   He is from SC and if the story is "want to be near to my aging momma and my dear old granny who is dying of Parkinson's" (I just made all that up), then Nevah Mind.

13 hours ago, The Dean said:

Wow, that Lance Zierlein ONLY listed weaknesses for a player with no strengths?  Hard to believe anyone worth paying attention to would list only the weaknesses of a player and ignore any strengths. IMO, of course

?

Ask and you shall receive.  He actually gets one of Zierlein's better reviews as a WR and a grade of 5.64 "chance of being a starter" with a draft projection of Round 4.

Overview
Intriguing receiver prospect with a big frame, long arms, and two seasons of impressive production. Johnson was primarily a vertical worker, but did see reps as a big, possession target from the slot. However, he could benefit from a connection with a play-action based passing attack that allows him to explore more of the route tree and field to take advantage of his size, build-up speed and ball skills. Johnson has the ability to become an eventual starter or solid WR3.
Strengths

Excellent size with long, athletic frame
Heavily targeted with safeties rolled his way
Drew loads of interference penalties this year
All-state basketball player with post-up talent and frame to handle combat catches
Strength and build-up speed for usage in play-action attack
Natural hands pluck it with good strength
Extends to meet throws away from his frame
Catches in a ready to run position
Finds ball early and can track it over his shoulder
Possesses size and strength to make a difference as a blocker.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's puzzling because while he retweeted a tweet that he was signed by Tampa, he not only doesn't show on NFL.com's list of FA signings, he doesn't show on Tampa Bay's list of 14 FA signings.  Perhaps he wasn't signed, just given an invite to their mini camp?  Or perhaps his signing is being held up by a physical? (warning: their web page content needs format assistance).  They've got 2 WR and a TE on there, but Anthony Johnson isn't.

Personally, I think if a player wants a shot in the NFL, unless he's at the very top of the draft class and has no injuries or other questionmarks, he's a great big dufus if he lets it be known he doesn't want to play for absolutely any team that is willing to give him a shot to come in and compete. 

A player letting it be known that he "wanted no part of (team X)" for a lower-round talent would be a big turn off for me, were I drafting or signing guys on the other 31 teams.

Edit: and Tampa's roster is not only full, they released a guy to make room for the 14th UDFA so it's not like they're leaving a spot open for him.

Sounds like he got a minicamp invite where he'd have to try and earn a spot. Maybe he thinks he should've been drafted or signed outright as a UDFA? Clearly he has some skills and you'd think one team out there would take a shot on him but maybe it's his attitude, who knows.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based on the tweet (which is from someone with Buffalo Fanatics) it was both. The team was aware that he did not want to be on the Bills, so they neither drafted him nor attempted to sign him. Beane mentioned multiple times yesterday his close they are to the UB program (signed two of their UDFAs) so if this is true I’m sure he was aware. 

That makes no sense, if your coming out of a school in MAC, keep your mouth shut & just be grateful someone drafted you.  Watched several of his games last year, I was shocked to see how little separation he would when you considered he played in the MAC.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any chance this could be parf of the confusion? 

https://thepewterplank.com/2019/04/29/tampa-bay-buccaneers-get-know-defensive-undrafted-free-agents/7/

17 minutes ago, Gordio said:

That makes no sense, if your coming out of a school in MAC, keep your mouth shut & just be grateful someone drafted you.  Watched several of his games last year, I was shocked to see how little separation he would when you considered he played in the MAC.

yet he caught almost every ball coming his way, even contested.

but yeah thats amazing if he actually said he didnt want to play for a team, I would have drafted him out of spite

Edited by DrDare

14 minutes ago, The Dean said:

By George, I think you've Got It!  Yes, if the Buccaneers are bringing a DL named Anthony Johnson into minicamp, that would explain the believe that the Bulls WR Anthony Johnson signed with Tampa, combined with lack of actually finding him listed as their signing.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

By George, I think you've Got It!  Yes, if the Buccaneers are bringing a DL named Anthony Johnson into minicamp, that would explain the believe that the Bulls WR Anthony Johnson signed with Tampa, combined with lack of actually finding him listed as their signing.

All things still point to him in Tampa...

he has tweets that are pinned and retweeted about him signing in Tampa 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

All things still point to him in Tampa...

he has tweets that are pinned and retweeted about him signing in Tampa 

Fair enough, and I see him listed as a signing on a "Fansided" site, but why in that case doesn't Tampa list him as being in Tampa?

https://thepewterplank.com/2019/04/30/tampa-bay-buccaneers-get-know-offensive-undrafted-free-agents/3/

It's a moot point really....apparently he doesn't want to be a Bill and the Bills returned the favor

I'll hope for the best from Sills and Easley.  Go Bills!

On 4/29/2019 at 3:52 PM, NewEra said:

Everyone forgot about him due too DK with his shirt off

I'm starting to think that you are not a fan of DK Metcalf.:D

I wonder if Johnson not wanting to play for the Bills has anything to do with Mack. Either way, I don't think he's going to be a difference maker in the NFL. Next.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

Where the heck is that stupid rumor about not wanting to be with the Bills???  Are people really spreading this from some twitter bum?

It was tweeted by someone from Buffalo Fanatics site, and anything like that is a “fwiw” grain of salt. No one is required to believe it to be true. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:56 PM, DrDare said:

yet he caught almost every ball coming his way, even contested.

but yeah thats amazing if he actually said he didnt want to play for a team, I would have drafted him out of spite

I would of took a flyer on him too in the 6th or 7th.  During the fall they were talking about him going in the first.  I didn't watch every UB game but I watched a handful of them & the separation thing concerned me.  He looked like he was blanketed on a lot of the plays.  He did come down with a lot of passes because he was more physical than the db he was going up against, maybe that scared away the scouts though.