What happened to Anthony Johnson?

McBean

per Lance Zierlein scouting report  on NFL.com - not a special talent or athlete.

Weaknesses
  • Clunky in working around press
  • Slow to release and get into routes
  • Lack of early speed for quick climbs past cornerbacks
  • Dull footwork getting in and out of breaks
  • Could struggle with quickness to uncover underneath
  • Easy vertical wins could dry up against NFL speed
  • Has habit of slowing strides when ball is in the air
  • Very inconsistent deep adjustments
  • Allows vertical routes to get squeezed against sideline

Sometimes these guys think they are better than they are and it comes across in how they deal with teams - "no part of Buffalo Bills" equates to the thought he would be drafted elsewhere  - SURPRISE!  

Best guess is probably a 1/3 chance of making Tampa's roster.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

per Lance Zierlein scouting report  on NFL.com - not a special talent or athlete.

Weaknesses
  • Clunky in working around press
  • Slow to release and get into routes
  • Lack of early speed for quick climbs past cornerbacks
  • Dull footwork getting in and out of breaks
  • Could struggle with quickness to uncover underneath
  • Easy vertical wins could dry up against NFL speed
  • Has habit of slowing strides when ball is in the air
  • Very inconsistent deep adjustments
  • Allows vertical routes to get squeezed against sideline

Sometimes these guys think they are better than they are and it comes across in how they deal with teams - "no part of Buffalo Bills" equates to he thought he would be drafted elsewhere  - SURPRISE!  

Best guess is probably a 1/3 chance of making Tampa's roster.

Most of those negatives are around his bad footnwork and his bad release

he May not be a world class athlete but he is very talented.. every scout in the world had a draftable grade on him

he also played hurt all year so his real speed never truly showed.. he isn’t world class fast but he can get deep

51 minutes ago, McBean said:

I live out of town and don’t watch UB.

I remember back in the fall where I saw in mock drafts him going in the first round!!!

Now, he goes undrafted!??

Anybody know wtf happened to this kid?

If I remember correctly, those were the CBS and PFF mocks. CBS is notoriously terrible with their draft coverage. PFF is good but at that point in the process, their mocks are (I think) based on what they would personally do; not what they believe teams will actually do.

And as I mentioned throughout the year, this year's WR class was insanely deep. For awhile, people had Johnson pegged in the 5-10 range as far as WRs go while others had him outside the top 25 WRs. Eventually almost everyone moved him down into the 20's.

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

His loss then! 

Honestly, HUD, having watched him in person I like him, but there were times where it looked like he was honestly the 2nd or 3rd best receiver on the team.

I know he had the best numbers, but I just liked some of what Osborn did better.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very strange draft year for WR.  Lots of the bigger players fell and the smaller guys pushed up.  If Hakeem Butler fell to the 4th, and DK to the end of the 2nd, then AJ not getting drafted at all doesn't seem like an outlier.  He showed plenty of RAC ability so the separation thing I do not buy.  If anything, I think its that he was lacking any elite trait.  He is sort of the six iron in your golf bag.  I can see him making their roster.

PFF had him as the highest graded returning WR but he earned the grade against a MAC schedule.  Chris Trapasso wrote the CBS piece and I got the impression that he was just throwing the local players' names out there at the start of the season as more of a community service, showing some love to guys who otherwise were to be overlooked.

56 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Very strange draft year for WR.  Lots of the bigger players fell and the smaller guys pushed up.  If Hakeem Butler fell to the 4th, and DK to the end of the 2nd, then AJ not getting drafted at all doesn't seem like an outlier.  He showed plenty of RAC ability so the separation thing I do not buy.  If anything, I think its that he was lacking any elite trait.  He is sort of the six iron in your golf bag.  I can see him making their roster.

PFF had him as the highest graded returning WR but he earned the grade against a MAC schedule.  Chris Trapasso wrote the CBS piece and I got the impression that he was just throwing the local players' names out there at the start of the season as more of a community service, showing some love to guys who otherwise were to be overlooked.

Seems like there is a philosophy change in the NFL. Teams would rather have route runners than big guys or athletes. It makes sense because there have been so many first round WR busts lately.

14 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Beggars being choosers. The kid is nothing special and I have no idea why people were so big on him other than blatant homerism

WR ANTHONY JOHNSON, BUFFALO (OVERALL: 171ST)

Among draft-eligible FBS wide receivers with at least 100 targets over the past two seasons, Johnson ranked tied for first in receptions of 15-plus yards (61) and second in yards per route run (3.48).

I don't think the pff team of analysts are Buffalo homers, NFL.com had a 4th round grade on him. Pretty sure they are not homers either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WMDman said:

Dude couldn’t separate from DBs in the MAC

Thats false

he played with a bum hammy all year and didn’t have his explosiveness and he still got good separation 80% of the time

2 seasons ago he was torching DBs from game 1.. he had zero trouble creating separation when healthy

he struggles with his release and his footwork Which really hinders his route development.. he can be pressed by good corners and they will force him to the sidelines and cut off his route 

when he has a clean release he has no problem creating separation ... he isn’t slow and he can stack his deep route

Edited by Buffalo716