2020 Mock Drafts & Top Prospects (2nd Annual Way Too Early)

thunderingsquid

Using The Draft Network.

I see Andrew Thomas and/or Mekhi Becton making it to number 22 in recent days. 

I think my first 3 choices will all go betwen picks 20 to 40 in real life, Aiyuk and Kmet are already trending upwards after the measurables at the combine.

Swift and Kmet would give the Bills real offensive firepower in 2020, I wouldn't mind those two in lieu of a wide receiver since they are plentiful in comparison. 

I could not find a CB and instead went offense with Gandy-Golden and Dillion who I very much assume will not make it to round 6 in April.

Any idea when the compensatory picks are announced?

Screenshot_2020-02-26 The Draft Network.png

Edited by quincy
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

22: R1P22

WR CEEDEE LAMB
OKLAHOMA
54: R2P22

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR
WISCONSIN
86: R3P22

EDGE KENNY WILLEKES
MICHIGAN STATE
125: R4P22

EDGE ALTON ROBINSON
SYRACUSE
155: R5P9

OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON
OREGON
167: R5P21

RB ZACK MOSS
UTAH
188: R6P9

LB WILLIE GAY JR.
MISSISSIPPI STATE
201: R6P22

OT YASIR DURANT
MISSOURI
207: R6P28

WR STEPHEN GUIDRY
MISSISSIPPI STAT

Just completed this one on 'The Draft Network' website: 

RD 1 (#22): Henry Ruggs III (WR, Alabama)

RD 2 (#54): Damon Arnette (CB, Ohio State)

RD 3 (#86): Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB, LSU)

RD 4 (#118): Brandon Jones (S, Texas)

RD 5A (#137): Anfernee Jennings (EDGE, Alabama)

RD 5B (#149): Justin Strnad (LB, Wake Forest)

RD 6A (#168): Antonio Gandy-Golden (WR, Liberty)

RD 6B (#181): Charlie Heck (OT, North Carolina)

RD 6C (#187): Yasir Durant (IOL, Missouri)

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Just completed this one on 'The Draft Network' website: 

RD 1 (#22): Henry Ruggs III (WR, Alabama)

RD 2 (#54): Damon Arnette (CB, Ohio State)

RD 3 (#86): Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB, LSU)

RD 4 (#118): Brandon Jones (S, Texas)

RD 5A (#137): Anfernee Jennings (EDGE, Alabama)

RD 5B (#149): Justin Strnad (LB, Wake Forest)

RD 6A (#168): Antonio Gandy-Golden (WR, Liberty)

RD 6B (#181): Charlie Heck (OT, North Carolina)

RD 6C (#187): Yasir Durant (IOL, Missouri)

..based on his combine 40, does Ruggs still fall to 22?.....what would be his draw backs versus higher?..................

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..based on his combine 40, does Ruggs still fall to 22?.....what would be his draw backs versus higher?..................

His time really shouldn't affect anyone's evaluation, IMO. He was expected to run a '4.2 something', they just weren't sure where in the 4.2s he would land. That said, it only takes one GM to fall in love with the time and not what he has already put on tape, causing them to jump earlier than needed. I would not be shocked to see him go before 22 and I would not be shocked to see him still on the board at 22 although, admittedly, I would be pleasantly surprised. I think if he's still around at 21 then the Eagles would grab him. I was fully expecting to go Edge or CB with that pick and grab a WR in the 2nd Round but when Ruggs was sitting there, I had to pull the trigger.

Edited by ExWNYer

7 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

His time really shouldn't affect anyone's evaluation, IMO. He was expected to run a '4.2 something', they just weren't sure where in the 4.2s he would land. That said, it only takes one GM to fall in love with the time and not what he has already put on tape, causing them to jump earlier than needed. I would not be shocked to see him go before 22 and I would not be shocked to see him still on the board at 22 although, admittedly, I would be pleasantly surprised. I think if he's still around at 21 then the Eagles would grab him. I was fully expecting to go Edge or CB with that pick and grab a WR in the 2nd Round but when Ruggs was sitting there, I had to pull the trigger.

...you analysis is much appreciated...thanks bud.............:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:15 PM, ExWNYer said:

I was fully expecting to go Edge or CB with that pick and grab a WR in the 2nd Round but when Ruggs was sitting there, I had to pull the trigger.

Yep, first round corners are a great way to build a team that desperately needs help at wide receiver and lacks pass rush. It's even the way to travel when in need of a quarterback.

Signed,

Dick Jauron

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 4:01 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..based on his combine 40, does Ruggs still fall to 22?.....what would be his draw backs versus higher?...............…

Jennings in round 5? Some predict him to go late in the first round.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yep, first round corners are a great way to build a team that desperately needs help at wide receiver and lacks pass rush. It's even the way to travel when in need of a quarterback.

Signed,

Dick Jauron

Jennings in round 5? Some predict him to go late in the first round.

Notice I had Edge listed first but you conveniently ignored that and bolded CB, Bill. It's a simple matter of numbers and, outside of Lamb, Jeudy, & Ruggs, the value is not there at WR  in Round 1, IMO, when you can get a quality starting receiver into at least Round 3. If Ruggs hadn't been there, I would have been looking to take AJ Epenesa. He's an Edge defender and I would go Edge over CB but...if one of the few stud CBs was still there...it would certainly be a viable option if better than what was left on the board at Edge. The scarcity at Edge and CB dictates at least exploring those avenues. Tre White is about to get paid a king's ransom and nobody will be throwing his way. You need an inexpensive, high talent at the second spot to survive in today's NFL. That's not even debatable. Times have changed. You have been on an anti-CB crusade for years and it's now just antiquated, "you kids get of my lawn" thinking. As it is, I got a very good CB in Round 2. And we'll see about Jennings. I was shocked to see him there but he's certainly not without his warts. Your crimson colored glasses are clouding your judgement. I took a Crimson Tide WR and you still complained that I even entertained another position. ? If you weren't a fellow diehard 'Bama fan, I might have an issue with you. ?:beer: ROLL TIDE! GO BILLS!!

Edited by ExWNYer
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Notice I had Edge listed first but you conveniently ignored that and bolded CB, Bill. It's a simple matter of numbers and, outside of Lamb, Jeudy, & Ruggs, the value is not there at WR  in Round 1, IMO, when you can get a quality starting receiver into at least Round 3. If Ruggs hadn't been there, I would have been looking to take AJ Epenesa. He's an Edge defender and I would go Edge over CB but...if one of the few stud CBs was still there...it would certainly be a viable option if better than what was left on the board at Edge. The scarcity at Edge and CB dictates at least exploring those avenues. Tre White is about to get paid a king's ransom and nobody will be throwing his way. You need an inexpensive, high talent at the second spot to survive in today's NFL. That's not even debatable. Times have changed. You have been on an anti-CB crusade for years and it's now just antiquated, "you kids get of my lawn" thinking. As it is, I got a very good CB in Round 2. And we'll see about Jennings. I was shocked to see him there but he's certainly not without his warts. Your crimson colored glasses are clouding your judgement. I took a Crimson Tide WR and you still complained that I even entertained another position. ? If you weren't a fellow diehard 'Bama fan, I might have an issue with you. ?:beer: ROLL TIDE! GO BILLS!!

Yeah, I have not changed my mind wrt first round DBs. Even the good ones often turn out to be bad picks for the team, no?

I would be happy with Ruggs but it is very hard to scout this group of Alabama receivers. Jeudy clearly drew the most coverage and there were at least 4 fantastic receivers on the team. This obviously made it difficult to double Ruggs, Smith or Waddle. Hopefully our scouting team will make the right call.

As for Jennings, I would like to see him run a step faster but he is strong, has good moves, and is very smart. I can't see him getting past round 2 but I sure have been wrong before.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, I have not changed my mind wrt first round DBs. Even the good ones often turn out to be bad picks for the team, no?

I would be happy with Ruggs but it is very hard to scout this group of Alabama receivers. Jeudy clearly drew the most coverage and there were at least 4 fantastic receivers on the team. This obviously made it difficult to double Ruggs, Smith or Waddle. Hopefully our scouting team will make the right call.

As for Jennings, I would like to see him run a step faster but he is strong, has good moves, and is very smart. I can't see him getting past round 2 but I sure have been wrong before.

In fairness, any position can have good players turn out to be bad picks. It's not isolated to just CBs/DBs. Honestly, given this current regime's track record, I feel more confident in them identifying  a "good one" at CB than I do in them getting it right with a WR. Let's hope this is the year that they show they can properly evaluate a franchise type WR, as well, because this offense certainly needs one. At this point, I'd rather see them go Edge at 22 and then either grab their WR in Round 2 or trade back into the bottom of the 1st to get one. One thing is certain, they will have no shortage of options when they execute their first pick.

22: R1P22
OT TRISTAN WIRFS
IOWA
54: R2P22
WR DENZEL MIMS
BAYLOR
81: R3P17
S KYLE DUGGER
LENOIR-RHYNE
125: R4P22
TE ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM
MISSOURI
167: R5P21
EDGE BRYCE STERK
MONTANA STATE
188: R6P9
CB STANFORD SAMUELS III
FLORIDA STATE
201: R6P22
EDGE ALEX HIGHSMITH
CHARLOTTE
207: R6P28
RB AJ DILLON
BOSTON COLLEGE

Okay here's my first crack at it.

Round 1 (P22):  WR Tee Higgins, Clemson

I have WR as a major need in this draft, due to the lack of having an "elite" WR on the roster, and the fact that both of our starters are going to be 30+ years old during the 2020 season.  Our depth is not great, and we have yet another WR on the roster over 30.  We need youth, and this is a deep WR draft.  I think we can land some amazing starters and depth.  Let's get WR greedy!

Round 2 (P22):  RB J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State

RB was also very "old" these past few years and while I like Singletary, I'm not totally sold that he's "THE" guy.  Dobbins could give us a one two punch, and I like Dobbins' running style.

Round 3 (P22):  WR Devin Duvernay, Texas

Round 4 (P22):  WR Collin Johnson, Texas

I'm lumping these two together for obvious reasons.  These two were so much fun to watch in Texas.  The fanspeak.com mock tool allows these guys to drop in rounds 3 and 4 and if that ACTUALLY happens, I'd be very happy.  I'd carry SIX WR's on the roster and cut the fat.  Also, ALL of these are taller than our current targets...  (Even I'm taller....  ).  Will make for more difficult red zone match ups etc.  Move those chains.

Round 5 (P9):  S Jordan Fuller, Ohio State

Poyer and Hyde are very good.  Love the tandem.  However, I'm not liking our depth and I always worry about injury to the starters, especially at their age.  Fuller could be brought along, and be a potential heir-apparent.

Round 5 (P21):  MLB Jacob Phillips, LSU

For the life of me, I have no idea why Phillips continues to be overlooked on big boards.  Landing Phillips in round 5 would be a huge steal, and he would be an instant upgrade on our special teams units as well as add great depth at the MLB position.

Round 6 (P9):  DT Robert Landers, Ohio State

Round 6 (P22):  DE D.J. Wonnum, South Carolina

Round 6 (P28):  DT Tyler Clark, Georgia

I go DL in round 6, not by "automatic" choice, but it just fell that way.  Our DT position needs a youth infusion and and we need to address the pass rush as well.  

If this is how the draft fell, we would still need to address the OL, CB, and OLB/DE via free agency.

That was fun.....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised that I have the first post free agency mock draft on this thread.

Here it is....

Here's my final, post-FA Bills mock.  I went into the draft looking for several needs and thought OL would be a high pick.  However, the draft didn't fall that way.  I think I'd be happy with this.  OL would need some post-draft FA love, but I DO like the talent added.  I've never thought that drafts should be used to fix all of a team's problems.  I say that drafts should be used primarily to add youth behind aged starters first and foremost, and the fill "needs" secondly.  I think this draft fills both (but but DL, Edge, OL not addressed).  Just look at the talent below though... I mean holy crap...

I used the CBS Composite big board, and the fanspeak.com platform for this mock.

Round 2:  

RB Cam Akers, Florida State:  I do think that Singletary is a good back, but in this league, you don't have a workhorse back anymore.  Interestingly, D'Andre Swift  is almost always available for our second round pick.  I'm really wondering how that will play out.  In this mock, Dobbins was also there, but honestly, I think Akers is the best back for the Bills.  Tough runner and good change of pace to Singletary.

Round 3:

WR Chase Claypool, Notre Dame:  Excellent "get" with Diggs in free agency, but with our other two underwhelming "starters" being 30+ in age, I strongly think that the Bills need to dip a toe into the WR draft pool, as deep as it is.  Claypool would easily be a second, even low first rounder in most draft years, so this is a both a value pick and a need pick for the future of the franchise.  We need the youth for longevity at the position.

Round 4:

S Brandon Jones, Texas:  While I do think we have one of the better safety tandems in the league, we are an injury away from a deep hole in our defense.  Both starters are 30+ in age and we need a guy who can be an heir apparent while also adding options for Dime packages, and a boost to special teams.  Heck, Jones in the 4th round sounds too good to be true in my opinion.  I doubt he lasts to the 4th, but how can you pass on this guy in the 4th for this mock.  Again, a youth need for an old position.

Round 5:

TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA:  Devin is my jewel in the rough pick.  Watching film on this guy is impressive, and he could surprise many at the next level.  This is a good developmental pick for me, and could add another rotational option at the position.

Round 6:  

ILB Jacob Phillips, LSU:  Why oh why do I keep on seeing Jacob Phillips ranked so low on draft boards??  Can somebody help me with this?  Definitely underrated player on a championship team!  Anyways, adding Phillips would be awesome here in the deep six.  He could very well be a star in the NFL IMO.  Boom or bust?  I think boom.

Round 6b:  CB John Reid, Penn St.:    I'm glad we addressed CB in free agency, and I think that adding another CB with potential, and time to coach up would be a good idea.  Reid has been a playmaker for Penn St. and I've got my eye on him for a late round option.  Total ball hawk!!!

Round 7:  FS Shyheim Carter, Alabama:  For the same reasons I went with Brandon Jones in round 4, Carter fits the bill as another guy that can add insurance and youth to the position, be brought along slowly, help out in packages, and special teams, and has potential to start eventually.  This is a "future" pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.