"The Simpsons" parodies Upstate NY (including a Bills reference)

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because it's not really a "region" ...LoL... It's everything outside and "up" State from the NYC "influence."  You know.  Outside NYC, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam, and Dutchess Counties.

And you’re already pushing it with Rockland and Orange!

But seriously, once you get outside the Metro-North sphere, there are a lot more similarities to the rest of the state.  That why it’s ‘upstate’

• Like (+1) 1

Okay... I am not resting my case just yet!  LoL... Bills are totally NYS' "upstate" team.  Heck... They are NYS' only team.

https://pat-mc.com/upstate-vs-downstate-new-york-locations/

wiki-275x300.jpg

"There is no “Downstate New York”

Part of the problem with defining these areas is that “Downstate” New York doesn’t actually exist. All over pop culture you see New York City natives saying “upstate”. It’s in cop shows, reality TV and even movies. Nobody in Albany says their friends live “downstate”. They’d just say New York City or Long Island. In a way, the word “upstate” came about as a lazy way for people in New York City to refer to any part of New York that was north of the city. Since it is the southernmost part of the state, the word “upstate” is used to describe a very large area. You can call them “downstate” but there are many more names to call NYC and Long Island that are more accurate (ie NY Metropolitan Area)."

Then there is this comment:

IT TURNS OUT THAT THERE IS AN OFFICIAL DEFINITION OF WHERE UPSTATE NEW YORK BEGINS, AND THAT COMES DIRECTLY FROM THE NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES. THE NYS DMV CONSIDERS ANY PARTS OF NEW YORK STATE NORTH OF WESTCHESTER AND ROCKLAND COUNTIES TO BE UPSTATE. SEE THE INFO BELOW ABOUT THAT, FROM THE NYS DMV’S SITE……………………………………..

The New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) includes: Bronx County, Kings County (Brooklyn), New York County (Manhattan), Queens County, Richmond County (Staten Island), Suffolk County, Nassau County, Westchester County and Rockland County. The other 53 counties in NYS are outside the NYMA.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/facLookup/descriptions.htm#NYMA

What fees do motorists pay for the NYVIP inspection?
In the Upstate Area, the total fee for a NYVIP safety and OBDII emissions inspection is $21. In the NYMA, the total fee for a NYVIP safety and OBDII emissions inspection is $37.
Statewide, the total fee for a NYVIP safety and low-enhanced emissions inspection is $21.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/repairshop.htm

20 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Meh.  The name of their game is irreverence towards most of their subject matter.  The Bronco's fared worse in the James Bond spoof episode from around 20 years ago.

I really wish the Simpsons would go away.  It pains me to say that because it used to be my all-time favorite show.  But I have barely watched it in the last 10-15 years, and the few times I have I maybe chuckle once or twice per episode.  Such a far cry from the sidesplitting belly laughs in the 90's when the show would almost literally stop my entire college in its tracks when it came on tv.  I thought it would be okay if it wrapped up neatly with a 25th season, but apparently they are hell bent on riding the bell cow straight into the ground, and to me this is a travesty to one of the greatest animated shows of all time.  /rant

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I really wish the Simpsons would go away.  It pains me to say that because it used to be my all-time favorite show.  But I have barely watched it in the last 10-15 years, and the few times I have I maybe chuckle once or twice per episode.  Such a far cry from the sidesplitting belly laughs in the 90's when the show would almost literally stop my entire college in its tracks when it came on tv.  I thought it would be okay if it wrapped up neatly with a 25th season, but apparently they are hell bent on riding the bell cow straight into the ground, and to me this is a travesty to one of the greatest animated shows of all time.  /rant

Agreed.  In the 90s it was the best when I was a middle/high schooler.  

That article about the show the OP posted woulda made me through a rock through my TV if it was on.  Not even a Buffalonian here 

All right maybe that reaction was a little extreme but still that show has seen better days!

Edited by Another Fan

5 hours ago, Wacka said:

I think the Simpsons should  have visited California. With the homeless, illegals, typhus, poop and wildfires there is plenty to make fun of. 

That is funny, and true, San Francisco has a poop app now.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, Wacka said:

I think the Simpsons should  have visited California. With the homeless, illegals, typhus, poop and wildfires there is plenty to make fun of. 

600+ episodes.  It's safe to say that they probably have.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:54 AM, Wacka said:

Don't forget Oregon & Washington, at least W of the mountains for both..

It had some funny moments but really just listed all the Canadian stereotypes ie. the IV bag of Maple Syrup and some health care jokes 

I was expecting more.

And for the record, we don't really think "newfie" is offensive. We all use it up here and in fact, people from Newfoundland actually like the name.

19 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

It had some funny moments but really just listed all the Canadian stereotypes ie. the IV bag of Maple Syrup and some health care jokes 

I was expecting more.

And for the record, we don't really think "newfie" is offensive. We all use it up here and in fact, people from Newfoundland actually like the name.

Well that's only cause they arent smart enough to know we are making fun of them! I kid, I kid.....

The media found people that were offended, but these days it's usually the vocal minority and people who have no ties to whomever should be offended that get offended the most by it......