Brandon Beane WGR interviews 4/29

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

CAR was thinking the same thing as Bills... run on OT starting. A bit of luck for the Bills that Panthers drafted little and not Ford. Saw a couple sites grading day two that said CAR should have taken Ford in that spot. Many had first round grade on the guy. 

Greg Little played LT exclusively I think whereas Ford played RT. Just different needs for Carolina and us - which helped.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm a trade-up guy for the most part. I prefer quality to quantity, ergo my issues with the WR corps :P

Well the quality just wasn't there in this draft. At receiver this was a quantity draft. It was deep. There were guys in the 5th and 6th round and even as UDFAs who are not that far from he guys being drafted in the 2nd and 3rd round.

23 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Greg Little played LT exclusively I think whereas Ford played RT. Just different needs for Carolina and us - which helped.

That's exactly what it was.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is due to media draft analyst who put out big boards, which accumulate all players regardless of scheme fit. Each team has their own board and it is based on that among other factors, and each is different. Fans see the first thing and never the second. They think “BPA” is based on what they know as fans. 

It's funny how fans take the "experts" boards as gospel. Like you say, each team is different.

Also, the entire league doesn't draft a guy until round 3 but if some sites had a round 1 grade on him suddenly he's a "steal." If the opposite happened and the GMs were the media and had a round 3 grade on the guy and the media guys were GMs and drafted him in the 1st he'd suddenly be a "reach." Somehow, whatever info they get first is the truth.

Nobody really has any idea on how draft picks will work out until they step on the field.  Some franchises seem to have a better track record of success (Ravens & Steelers, for example), but that could be as much due to solid organizational continuity and good coaching as much as anything.  Even though they may really mean much, I'd still rather be hearing positive comments about the Bills' draft than negative ones, so I am pleased with what the pundits are saying about the Bills right now.

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, we'll see how things pan out. Would rather they had taken a shot at trading back up into the second for Metcalf than having taken an undersized and slow RB. But whatever, it is what it is at this point, planning on a whole lot of 17-14 this year.

None of your extensive number of posts on this topic have been remotely compelling

Edited by arcane

I feel like this staff viewed Duke Williams as equivalent to any mid-round pick that was available.  The top 4 are set, with Roberts as KR/PR, which means anyone they draft would have to be capable of beating out Duke for that final spot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I feel like this staff viewed Duke Williams as equivalent to any mid-round pick that was available.  The top 4 are set, with Roberts as KR/PR, which means anyone they draft would have to be capable of beating out Duke for that final spot.

This.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/29/remember-duke-williams-after-buffalo-bills-dont-add-wr-2019-nfl-draft-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott/

Much has been made of how we have a bunch of No. 2s and No. 3s but no No. 1. Among all the receivers we have, Duke is the one with the tools to be a No. 1. He is big, can run fast, get separation, has good hands, has a large catch radius and always high points the ball. It might be a bit of a stretch to call him a potential No. 1 when he is, at best, #5 on the depth chart right now - but damn am I excited to see what he brings to the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Nice he knows WR is in a lousy spot. Too bad he didn't act on it.

To be fair I would rather have Cody Ford than any of the WRs. The top talent was all gone in round 3, none of those prospects would have cracked our top 4. I’m sure it will be high on the list next draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

To be fair I would rather have Cody Ford than any of the WRs. The top talent was all gone in round 3, none of those prospects would have cracked our top 4. I’m sure it will be high on the list next draft.

Let's hope so, because I'm REALLY uncomfortable with the WR/TE positions on this team.

Honestly, not sure how anyone isn't but it appears I'm in a radical minority in that regard.

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

All I know is this GM, HC really seem like they know what they are doing vs the GMs, HCs of the past two decades. I can recall reading in post after post about how good Buddy Nix's, Doug Whaley's drafts were so great and how the teams resulting from those drafts had so much more talent then in the past. Now looking back, NO!

I don't get the need for that so called #1 WR. Considering... The Bills signed WR John Brown with 4.34 speed at 9 mill per who will compliment Robert Foster for the deep passes...in a 3 year deal. Just hazarding a guess here, but I tend to think that this signing alone is a big upgrade to the Bills WR corps. 

Then this GM signed WR Cole Beasley away from the Cowboys to fill the slot position like a Wes Welker, Julian Edleman filled for the Patriots. Beasley caught 74.7% of his passes last year which would put him in the LeSean McCoy percentile of receptions, only in the slot and not in the flat or backfield. 14 mill guaranteed tells me this FO wants to give this play a chance to shine in Buffalo's offense. 

The Bills also signed CFL receiver Duke Johnson, In two CFL seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos, the 25-year-old Williams has 2,294 yards on 135 catches with 15 touchdowns in 31 games. Last season, he led the league with 1,579 receiving yards and tied for the CFL lead in receiving touchdowns with 11. He also had 88 receptions, including 11 for more than 30 yards, on 152 targets.

Undrafted signings, Nick Easley, WR Iowa, David Sills,WR WV. 

After these signings I really don't see the need to draft a so called top WR in the 2019 Draft. Looking at how the NFL combine made DK Metcalf look so great and the guy scored in the bottom 3% of the past 25 years of 3 cone drill... and he is still looking for that last cone. 

I can't wait to see what this new WR group can do! :thumbsup:

I think they will come up with a solid WR core. It will be a WR by committee, but there are lots of successful teams with that approach. The battle for the fifth WR spot is going to be very tough, I’m excited to see how that plays out in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What was his 40 time? I think I saw 4.66? Leveon Bell ran a 4.6. but has outstanding vision which allowed him to be a technician at RB taking advantage of his blocking. Singletary’s biggest strength is also his vision. 

my only question with Singletary is can he replicate his ability to make people miss against better talent?  I'm excited to find out.  If so, that's a huge steal.  If not, not a "wasted" pick given the depth at that position.  Good pick, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane will be on again at 1pm One Bills Live 

Another good interview. Some of the same things from this morning, some additional info. I gleaned that they must have had a late 2nd or later grade on metcalf. He indicated that each time their pick came up, there wasn’t a WR close enough on their board that warranted reaching. Earlier today, he was asked what kind of gap in value constitutes a “reach” - and he had said if they have one player graded at the top of the round available ( or in Ford’s case, graded at the previous round) and another (ie WR) graded toward the bottom of that round. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Let's hope so, because I'm REALLY uncomfortable with the WR/TE positions on this team.

Honestly, not sure how anyone isn't but it appears I'm in a radical minority in that regard.

I think the TE position will be fine, but I am also very high on Dawson Knox. He has great size, good hands, and off the charts athletic ability. He is still fairly new at the position because he used to play QB but I would not be surprised if he was the steal of the third round. Kroft is a decent all around TE, Croom is a decent WR, and we should have one of the best blocking TEs in the league with Fisher. Sweeney is a great blocker as well and will be on the PS. The TE position will be a bit of a committee until Knox is developed into our TE1.

That will probably not be until year 2 or 3.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another good interview. Some of the same things from this morning, some additional info. I gleaned that they must have had a late 2nd or later grade on metcalf. He indicated that each time their pick came up, there wasn’t a WR close enough on their board that warranted reaching. Earlier today, he was asked what kind of gap in value constitutes a “reach” - he said if they have one player grader at the top of the round available ( or in Ford’s case, graded at the previous round) and another (is WR) graded toward the bottom of that round. 

Based on Beane's comments, he also had Ford graded higher than Harry.  As he was trying to get back into the first to get him, and Harry was on the board until the last pick of the round.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

my only question with Singletary is can he replicate his ability to make people miss against better talent?  I'm excited to find out.  If so, that's a huge steal.  If not, not a "wasted" pick given the depth at that position.  Good pick, IMO.  

I have been watching a lot of him the last few days. His vision and balance is outstanding. That can carry you for a long time in the NFL (see Fred Jackson).