Brandon Beane WGR interviews 4/29

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is due to media draft analyst who put out big boards, which accumulate all players regardless of scheme fit. Each team has their own board and it is based on that among other factors, and each is different. Fans see the first thing and never the second. They think “BPA” is based on what they know as fans. 

That is insightful.  

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

No need to be a dick.

And you and I obviously have different definitions of "weapons."

Again, which recent #1 WR has taken his team on his back and brought them championships? Thats not todays NFL. Even last years WR room would have found more success if our QB wasn't constantly under pressure and running for his life. Adding a bonafide downfield threat (I dont know how you can disagree with Brown being this...just check what he was doing last year with Flacco lol) and an underneath WR in Beasley was a pretty big win in upgrading the WR room. 

Biggest thing we did to help QB and WR was actually bring in some competent linemen. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, we'll see how things pan out. Would rather they had taken a shot at trading back up into the second for Metcalf than having taken an undersized and slow RB. But whatever, it is what it is at this point, planning on a whole lot of 17-14 this year.

Have you watched any Singletary highlights? He might not put on his underwear and run super fast in a straight line, but the guy is not SLOW by any means. Guys are lucky to get a hand on him most the time let alone tackle him. He will be a weapon for us if used correctly. A very dangerous player..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Have you watched any Singletary highlights? He might not put on his underwear and run super fast in a straight line, but the guy is not SLOW by any means. Guys are lucky to get a hand on him most the time let alone tackle him. He will be a weapon for us if used correctly. A very dangerous player..

Thanks to the combine and NFL draft coverage, fans now value straight line speed (40 times) over actual football skills.  It is totally bizarre.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Again, which recent #1 WR has taken his team on his back and brought them championships? Thats not todays NFL. Even last years WR room would have found more success if our QB wasn't constantly under pressure and running for his life. Adding a bonafide downfield threat (I dont know how you can disagree with Brown being this...just check what he was doing last year with Flacco lol) and an underneath WR in Beasley was a pretty big win in upgrading the WR room. 

Biggest thing we did to help QB and WR was actually bring in some competent linemen. 

A lot of people around here point to the Patriots as a model of how to use a plethora of average guys while ignoring what made the Patriots passing game tick: Gronkowski.

Without Gronk, guys like Edelman/Hogan/whoever would have had a HELL of a lot harder of a time. While you're right that it helps to add OL help, I don't think the team should rest on its laurels thinking it's the be-all/end-all of improving the offense. It's not.

Edited by Joe in Winslow

1 minute ago, badassgixxer05 said:

What was his 40 time? I think I saw 4.66? Leveon Bell ran a 4.6. but has outstanding vision which allowed him to be a technician at RB taking advantage of his blocking. Singletary’s biggest strength is also his vision. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A lot of people around here point to the Patriots as a model of how to use a plethora of average guys while ignoring what made the Patriots passing game tick: Gronkowski.

Without Gronk, guys like Edelman/Hogan/whoever would have had a HELL of a lot harder of a time. While you're right that it helps to add OL help, I don't think the team should rest on its laurels thinking it's the be-all/end-all of improving the offense. It's not.

This is a bit of a reach.  Gronk hasn't been the same guy/even on the field in the last two years, and the passing game has remained dominant.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah, we'll see how things pan out. Would rather they had taken a shot at trading back up into the second for Metcalf than having taken an undersized and slow RB. But whatever, it is what it is at this point, planning on a whole lot of 17-14 this year.

I don't know what your posting history is on trading up or down, but I've always believed trading up for a player you want & know you will get is better than trading down and getting picks that you have no idea if anybody you really want will be available at.  So, the reality is the majority of posters around here  think it's better to trade down-until the guy they want is picked a few picks before the Bills pick.  The worst trade down guy is Mike Dope on WGR.  I swear, everything he says I disagree with.  

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I don't know what your posting history is on trading up or down, but I've always believed trading up for a player you want & know you will get is better than trading down and getting picks that you have no idea if anybody you really want will be available at.  So, the reality is the majority of posters around here  think it's better to trade down-until the guy they want is picked a few picks before the Bills pick.  The worst trade down guy is Mike Dope on WGR.  I swear, everything he says I disagree with.  

I'm a trade-up guy for the most part. I prefer quality to quantity, ergo my issues with the WR corps :P

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What was his 40 time? I think I saw 4.66? Leveon Bell ran a 4.6. but has outstanding vision which allowed him to be a technician at RB taking advantage of his blocking. Singletary’s biggest strength is also his vision. 

yup, but if you watch his film, hes as fast as the 4.4 guys on the field.  I do not see a slow guy at all, but to each is there own. His vision is amazing. Can stop on a dime and then accelerate through the whole. A tuff runner for a little guy too. Doesn't just fall over. I'm excited what he can do learning behind 2 future all time greats..

Is this slow:

Edited by badassgixxer05

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That could have been on Day One.    Bills were trying to trade up but got no takers.   The Panthers may have been trying as well, then flipped to Little on Day Two. 

Alternately, Carolina could have said they were trying to get Ford just to screw with McBeane for the time the Bills snagged a player the Panthers wanted (can't remember his name)...

Zay Jones was the player.

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The next two WRs to go off the board after they picked Singletary were McLaurin and Boykin (both  later in the round). They likely didn’t think either have #1 WR potential. I’m positive the Redskins took McLaurin because of Haskins publically begging them to take one of his guys and Campbell was gone. I like both players but they felt Singletary  has a higher ceiling imo.

Good point. At this stage of their respective careers, Singletary is a far better RB than Metcalf is a WR. There was simply no reason to reach for a WR at that stage. And no argument exists, imo, to have selected a WR over Oliver and Ford. Not even close.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm a trade-up guy for the most part. I prefer quality to quantity, ergo my issues with the WR corps :P

The GMs in the league apparently weren't all that impressed with the quality this year as evidenced by how many dropped to lower rounds.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

The GMs in the league apparently weren't all that impressed with the quality this year as evidenced by how many dropped to lower rounds.

You realize that means nothing, right?  How many GMs passed on Mahomes? Brady? Rodgers? Antonio Brown? I could go on.

27 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Metcalf dropped like a rock.  I'll trust the Bills' (and 30 other teams') staffs on this one.  And Singletary is hardly slow.

I don't think you're giving enough consideration to a few things:

1 -- Josh Allen Year 2.  No learning curve, and was starting to "click" at the end of the year.  Great players elevate those around them.

2 -- OL rebuild.  We are talking about a completely new line.

3 -- Veteran WRs and RBs.

I get it, a lot of folks want the "true #1" receiver.  I'm in the camp that believes this is not necessary.  I expect improvement from Foster and Jones, and with the additions of Brown and Beasley that WR room is "fine" as it is.  If Duke surprises or Sills is a steal even better.  I think Knox is the sneaky-good pick of this draft for the Bills.

Put a "middle of the pack" group of receivers out there with a good OL, good QB, and good RBs, and I think the offense is capable of scoring in the mid-20s consistently.

For me one of the more notable nuggets was the line about guys from other teams getting cut over the next few days for cap reasons who are being replaced through new draft picks; for me that raises the additional possibility of adding to certain position groups like WR, TE or Edge, where we could use more depth/competition. In other words, yet another source of additional help before we roll with what we’ve got? 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

If he drafted Sills and Easley instead of signing then as UDFAs would that be better?

Hey, I'm OK with bringing them in as UDFA, though I think the quality's a significant dropoff at that point. Was watching Sills V highlights, and the man just doesn't separate all that well.

Don't know a lot about Easley, was gonna watch his stuff today.

13 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You realize that means nothing, right?  How many GMs passed on Mahomes? Brady? Rodgers? Antonio Brown? I could go on.

You realize you thinking a guy was better means nothing as well, right? 

You realize these guys have a lot more data available to them and still it's considered a good draft if they hit on 50%, right?

I would ask you to list out, say, for the last five drafts guys you would have picked in what rounds, and then we could evaluate your expertise.  The point is this:  they did not draft a WR because: a.  they addressed it in free agency and 2.  they did not feel guys represented value over other selections made.  You disagree, fine.  But don't pretend you have more knowledge than they do over the process. 

• Like (+1) 1