Per Beane: bills still in on Ansah

On 4/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, Augie said:

When is the deadline for that decision? 

NOTHING is worse in football than being run on at will and not being able to do anything about it. We had our moments of that, and it was painful! 

Think the deadline is the 10th 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoeF said:

Bills signed 18 free agents....We are only getting comp picks if we figure out a way to steal them!!!

They may be able to trade a couple of those excess OL for 7th round picks in August.

Gotta' be a reason they are holding on to Vlad, Bodine and Sirles after signing 6 UFA OL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They may be able to trade a couple of those excess OL for 7th round picks in August.

Gotta' be a reason they are holding on to Vlad, Bodine and Sirles after signing 6 UFA OL.

Trade for picks, and try to do whatever NE does to work the comp system to get 9+ picks a year Beane.

I think you are spot on.

Don't just let players still under deals to walk for nada. They may not be a fit for the Bills, but injuries and such always leave a few teams with desperate holes to fill early.

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Trade for picks, and try to do whatever NE does to work the comp system to get 9+ picks a year Beane.

I think you are spot on.

Don't just let players still under deals to walk for nada. They may not be a fit for the Bills, but injuries and such always leave a few teams with desperate holes to fill early.

Beane traded McCarron and Newhouse for late picks last fall after signing them as UFA's so he's done it and I am sure it's in the back of his mind.

Simply not enough roster spots for all of the UFA's and it's likely a few teams will get desperate for veteran help late in preseason when it becomes clear they can't block anybody.

And because he's so flush with cap room...........due to both the previous regimes lack of long term commitments on the books AND the trading away or letting leave in free agency of the previous regime's prime age players(Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Gilmore, Glenn, Dareus).............he has lot's of cap room to essentially trade away for late round picks if the UFA's bought with that money don't appear essential to the roster.

Most teams wouldn't give away a couple million bucks for a 7th round pick but I think Beane gladly would.   It's not his money and the Pegula's have to be about desperate enough to try anything to get themselves a contender.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's what I am thinking.  We loaded up and will start trading to get more draft picks for next year.  It's better than how we have been getting screwed for the compensatory formula the past few years

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was shocked that they didn't try to move Bodine to NO when Unger retired.  I mean, maybe they did, but that seemed an easy-pickens situation.

I think it makes a lot of sense to hold onto Bodine until the final roster cut-down.  If a contender loses a center, he's easily going to be the best option for them: 5-year starter that you can pick up for $2.3M against the cap?  Gotta be worth a day 3 pick, right?

Vlad and Sirles are probably much less desirable.  I think the other guy that could bring a decent return would be Teller. He had a few decent performances at LG last year, and he's moldable clay in the right system.

• Like (+1) 1

Brandon Beane: Bills aren’t in on or out on Ziggy Ansah

Posted by Josh Alper on April 29, 2019, 6:13 PM EDT

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane was asked about Ansah during an appearance on WGR 550 on Monday and said that the team has remained in touch with his agent since their visit. Beane said the Bills aren’t in on him or out on him” at the moment.
Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I was shocked that they didn't try to move Bodine to NO when Unger retired.  I mean, maybe they did, but that seemed an easy-pickens situation.

I think it makes a lot of sense to hold onto Bodine until the final roster cut-down.  If a contender loses a center, he's easily going to be the best option for them: 5-year starter that you can pick up for $2.3M against the cap?  Gotta be worth a day 3 pick, right?

Vlad and Sirles are probably much less desirable.  I think the other guy that could bring a decent return would be Teller. He had a few decent performances at LG last year, and he's moldable clay in the right system.

Yeah Vlad and Sirles(if he shows well in preseason) fall into that Marshall Newhouse category........maybe a late pick multiple years from now.

Even then you need a team with a RASH of injuries to get anything for them.

I agree that Bodine and Teller are guys that teams will legitimately follow in preseason to see if they come available for a 6th or 7th.   

I am interested to see what all the competition does for Teller and Ike Boettger.    They have as much or more physical talent as some of the UFA's they signed and have a year experience with the OC(if not the OLc).      Going to be A LOT of competition for snaps that's for sure.

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Think the deadline is the 10th 

It is May 3rd for the Shaq decision 

As for Ansah, the date is May 8th as to when he would no longer count in the comp pick formula. Not that the Bills have a chance there this year. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, PIZ said:

Bills are not in the running for a comp pick anyway and Detroit is not in our division that a comp pick for em is going to hurt us a lot. So, if a signing happens before May 7 - it might be the Bills. In other words, Bills can sign him early - but he might choose to wait to sign  if another team, for comp pick considerations, wants him to wait.

10 hours ago, Needle said:

I don't really want to get into a bidding war for Ziggy Ansah. I know we have money and I know it's a need but Im not in favor of a bad contract. I don't think he is all that special

He is special, believe me.  Will be an instant upgrade. The big question is health. All the talent in the world cant help if he cant get on the field.

35 minutes ago, wppete said:

This is completely misleading bro. The article is, by it's own admission, just some writer's guess and his reasoning is "they have money and a good D."

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, wppete said:

"projected"

basically the mans opinion.

Why does Benjamin think the Bills make the most sense? Here's a look at why he projected them to be the winners of the Ansah derby eventually:

"The Bills aren't exactly desperate for a pass rusher, but there's a reason they've been sniffing around Ansah for almost two months. No. 1, adding a former All-Pro to a line that now includes first-rounder Ed Oliver could really ramp up their trench game.

No. 2, they're flush with the cap space to make it happen. Ansah may want a one-year deal to get back on the market for one last shot at a big contract, but regardless, he seems like a guy who'd fit in Buffalo. It's not like he'd be playing with slouches, either."

meanwhile

NFL rumors: Why notable free agents like Ndamukong Suh, Ezekiel Ansah, Jets’ Morris Claiborne could find landing spots this week

Four Teams Who Should Sign Ezekiel Ansah

Is defensive end Ezekiel Ansah a perfect fit for the Texans?

Now or Never: Raiders running out of time to bring in free agent DE Ezekiel Ansah

Seattle Seahawks: Signing Ezekiel Ansah would be critical

May 7 is the compensatory pick deadline. What that means is after that date teams can sign any free agent and it won't affect the compensatory pick formula. Between the time the new league year opens up in March to May 7, all unrestricted free agents factor into the formula.

several teams in the rumor mix, where he lands, nobody knows, yet.