Per Beane: bills still in on Ansah

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

No, the defense was not bad at all...just not good enough. I am not much of a numbers cruncher...as a fan and observer for 45+ years, it is my opinion. 

Your D is NEVER going to be good enough when your O is flat aweful.   A lot of things contributed to that.

bad offensive line (addressed and addressed big)

Running Game (a by product of bad O line and addressed with Singtary)

Passing targets (addressed in free agency)

QB play (Josh Allen a year older and QB room stabilized with veterans)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am interested to see what this position brings over the next year or so. McDermott seemed to have a type in Carolina, long armed tall and heavy guys. That isn't Hughes, or Shaq, or Eddie Yarborough. He inherited a lot of what is here outside of Murphy. 

I don't love Ansah, but he seems to be the prototype of what coach wants. 6-5, 271, 35 inch arms and twitched up athleticism. Long limbed, tall athletic guys. Now he did have Charles Johnson for years who was solid and similar in size to Shaq. 

My point is, this is the last position to be overhauled. Secondary, linebackers, and interior d line have been overhauled into what coach is looking for. DE really hasn't been touched aside from the Murphy addition, and so I wonder if they even bother bringing back Shaq or Hughes, because neither of them fit and it gives him the opportunity to overhaul the position instead of tying money into guys he doesn't really love. I might be wrong as Carolina put a ton of time into scouting Shaq Lawson a few years back. But I think they might want to remake the position next. I do wonder if they are still having discussions on Clowney, but they only have 6 picks next year. 

I agree...takes time and we can see that Beane/Mcdermott are working on this. 

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Your D is NEVER going to be good enough when your O is flat aweful.   A lot of things contributed to that.

Yes, but this offense has been improved considerably. More than people realize or will admit. I love the picks on the offensive side of the ball and the free agents. Yes, I love Josh Allen and the sky is the limit. I would like to see another Pro Bowl/impact player at the DE position...seems like the missing piece. Someone healthy and productive. Who that is...no idea. 

Edited by Rocket94

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes, but this offense has been improved considerably. More than people realize or will admit. I love the picks on the offensive side of the ball and the free agents. Yes, I love Josh Allen and the sky is the limit. I would like to see another Pro Bowl/impact player at the DE position...seems like the missing piece. Someone healthy and productive. Who that is...no idea.

We might not be done yet at DE

One thing I will say......if you can get a gap penetrator that keeps QBs from stepping up into a pocket when passing your DE's magically mysteriously start looking VERY GOOD....because its all about the depth of the QB at his drop.   If he steps up comfortably into a pocket then OT's swim outside pass rush outside and they have to work back to the QB......if a QB isnt comfortable stepping up due to inside pressure?   DE's FEAST

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We might not be done yet at DE

One thing I will say......if you can get a gap penetrator that keeps QBs from stepping up into a pocket when passing your DE's magically mysteriously start looking VERY GOOD....because its all about the depth of the QB at his drop.   If he steps up comfortably into a pocket then OT's swim outside pass rush outside and they have to work back to the QB......if a QB isnt comfortable stepping up due to inside pressure?   DE's FEAST

Right on, but we need the proper personal to carry this out with impact and force. We need guys that opposing teams worry about every minute.

Edited by Rocket94

I mean that Shaq option is going to cost like 14 million. Extending Jerry will probably take 12-14 million per. Does the regime want to tie up 28 million to two guys who don't quite fit the mold of what they are looking for? I'd rather give 20 million to Clowney. I just think there will be a good amount of turnover in the position in the next year or so. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mean that Shaq option is going to cost like 14 million. Extending Jerry will probably take 12-14 million per. Does the regime want to tie up 28 million to two guys who don't quite fit the mold of what they are looking for? I'd rather give 20 million to Clowney. I just think there will be a good amount of turnover in the position in the next year or so. 

I really doubt that any of the team's current EDGE guys will be here next year.  Not when you look at the market and see names like Clowney, Fowler, Mercilus, Dupree, Ngakoue, and Beasley all currently slated to hit the open market.  Add to that the fact that there will be EDGE guys with enormous, untenable base salaries like Von Miller, Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, Calais Campbell, Everson Griffen, and JPP.

I mean, maybe they re-sign Jerry to a 2-year deal and still chase a pass rusher in FA, but I can envision them wanting to get MUCH younger at the position.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Ok, we can break down numbers all day long and still not conclude the same way. The difference between us @2 and the Pats @ 21 is a thousand yards. Divided by 16 games equals 62.5 yards/game they allowed more than us. That’s a big kick return, one long pass completion or run more per game. Our pathetic offense routinely gave our opponents a short field to score. Plus, they (Pats*) were typically comfortably ahead, which allows for garbage yards between the sidelines in the 4th quarter. Did the Pats* pass your eye test? Did ours? Were we out of contention after losing to them on Halloween?

I’m not hating on our Defense, just not loving it and I’m not buying the ranking. Fastest way I see to truly be legit is DTackles. Loved Kyle, but he, Star,Harrison played too soft. O’Neil will help. But we’re far from complete.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Idk what your/their criteria is, but I hope it isn’t the nfl ranking based on yards against. We were run on like we were short handed. We were passed on like a drunk hooker at a frat party. Because the offense was pathetic until Josh returned from injury, our opponents seemed to always win the T/O and field position battles ie:short drives for scores.

No, it wasn’t “bad” in a very broad sense, but it wasn’t Good specifically.

..DEAD ON bud.....good 'ol stats...easy manipulated and the same ones can prove a point or disprove another....run "D" reminded me of Petine's Bi-Polar Gang...never knew which one was going to show up...either the Great Wall or Wikileaks....we sorely lacked CONSISTENCY versus basking in the gaudy ranking....

• Like (+1) 1

I thought defense was pretty good  They go exposed the games the unit got wore out by the offense not moving the chains  Also for whatever reason the unit seemed to get a lot of pressure but werent able to close the deal and get a lot of sacks.  Bills move the chains better on offense and I have to believe at worst they will be back running the football effectively the D should be fine.  Ansah seems like a risky proposition unless its a short term deal with little upfront money

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..DEAD ON bud.....good 'ol stats...easy manipulated and the same ones can prove a point or disprove another....run "D" reminded me of Petine's Bi-Polar Gang...never knew which one was going to show up...either the Great Wall or Wikileaks....we sorely lacked CONSISTENCY versus basking in the gaudy ranking....

I tend to think that yards per play is a better metric than yards per game, and in that regard, Buffalo was very good.

They weren't, however, very good at forcing turnovers or preventing scores in the red zone.  In fact, they had the 3rd-highest percentage of TDs allowed per red zone trip.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, we can break down numbers all day long and still not conclude the same way. The difference between us @2 and the Pats @ 21 is a thousand yards. Divided by 16 games equals 62.5 yards/game they allowed more than us. That’s a big kick return, one long pass completion or run more per game. Our pathetic offense routinely gave our opponents a short field to score. Plus, they (Pats*) were typically comfortably ahead, which allows for garbage yards between the sidelines in the 4th quarter. Did the Pats* pass your eye test? Did ours? Were we out of contention after losing to them on Halloween?

I’m not hating on our Defense, just not loving it and I’m not buying the ranking. Fastest way I see to truly be legit is DTackles. Loved Kyle, but he, Star,Harrison played too soft. O’Neil will help. But we’re far from complete.

Is any defense truly complete?

I am not arguing with you here....just that a young defense will probably take the next step this year and then added what I considered to be a top 5 pick DT in a strong draft.......we got more mature.....more depth at needed positions.....and a probable impact 1st round starter.

At the WORST I dont see them worse then last year....and I thought they were pretty good and def good enough to win if we could run the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I tend to think that yards per play is a better metric than yards per game, and in that regard, Buffalo was very good.

They weren't, however, very good at forcing turnovers or preventing scores in the red zone.  In fact, they had the 3rd-highest percentage of TDs allowed per red zone trip.

..VERY fair assessment...sure they had strengths, but they also had weaknesses.......good overall but not quite the '85 Bears......

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

He isn’t going to camp. So focus on the more pressing option right now. Decision on Shaq Lawson’s 5th year option. 

When is the deadline for that decision? 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Idk what your/their criteria is, but I hope it isn’t the nfl ranking based on yards against. We were run on like we were short handed. We were passed on like a drunk hooker at a frat party. Because the offense was pathetic until Josh returned from injury, our opponents seemed to always win the T/O and field position battles ie:short drives for scores.

No, it wasn’t “bad” in a very broad sense, but it wasn’t Good specifically.

NOTHING is worse in football than being run on at will and not being able to do anything about it. We had our moments of that, and it was painful! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'm not sure I ever remember a year with this much of a lack of vet trades during the draft (outside Rosen I'm not sure a single current player was traded during the draft) and we have yet to see cap casualty cuts.  We have the cap space to add a couple "splash" vets if they do shake free, I really hope we use it considering we still stand to be well under the cap next year.

Good.  Then we can sign and extend our own.

22 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I litterally listened to the interview and am fully aware of his wording. Maybe you are just feeling a little paranoia you felt you needed to compensate for? Started any threads lately???:) Whats the disconnect here? They could have titled it as quoted from Beane - but didnt, added a question mark to shroud it in curiosity and wham! - a title for a thread. By no means the worst offender, but also not really worth sticking your neck out for...

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is a good post. In many ways this is at the heart of the problem on defense . The defense was really not as good as it was in terms of its statistics or ranking. But a lot of that is because they were on the field too much. Also, rarely did they play with the lead. Even more rarely did they play with a comfortable lead which changes everything. The offense does need to improve, which I expect it will, and if it does, the defense could be special