Per Beane: bills still in on Ansah

55 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

But is there a younger guy who is hungry for a shot that could end up being better? There are young and hungry guys, but how many actually end up being really good?

They have the space to spend a little, and he could be worth it since Murphy is barely healthy enough to see the field, Zo is getti g old, and Shaq is being debated on whether they will pick up his fifth year option. There may be a big need after theis season.

That young and hungry guy out there imo is Shane Ray. He sticks out like a sore thumb in UFA. He had 8 sacks in 2016. He's a bit of a tweener, but so what? He's a little bigger than Eli Harold. I think he needs a shot to be a 4-3 defensive end. I'd give him a two year deal because he's the type of player who could replace Jerry Hughes. He has that kind of upside imo. I'm going to keep talking about Shane Ray until we sign him lol. Ray visited the Ravens and the and did not sign, so perhaps he is seeking too much money. 

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This whole thing feels off.  I am nervous that whatever team signs him will have to pay wayyyy too much and end up getting very little production.  

It feels off to me, too.  

I didn't follow him, and maybe his production fell off because of injury, but Ziggy gave me the impression that he was something of a one year wonder.  It seems every year or two there's an edge rusher who comes I to the league and explodes with double digit sacks, then he fades. Teams figure out how to block him, or they attack weaknesses in his game, and he becomes ordinary.  

Ziggy gives me that impression, and add to that the injury concern.  I have doubts that he is a multi-year solution.  

So, yeah, I can see why teams don't want to give him a multi-year deal.  

11 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The problem is that when there are multiple teams "in" on one guy, teams will sometimes do stupid things like give injured players multi-year deals.  That is why this whole thing feels wrong.  I think he is holding out for a better deal. 

That would be my best guess - teams are offering Ansah a 1 year "prove it" deal with little guaranteed and a bunch of incentives

Meanwhile, Ansah undoubtedly wants multiple years and guaranteed $$

Two things to keep in mind: Bad shoulder and it's very likely he is older than they are saying. He's probably early 30's. Multiple reports saying they listed him as 2 years younger to help his draft position.

I'd much prefer a trade for Clowney if it made financial sense to do so

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of the less ballyhooed impactful recent changes is that there aren't intermediate roster cutdowns until just before the season anymore.

No but there still is the Veteran Purge post Draft. I am not sure who will be ditched. But look at Steelers, trade up Draft a MLB and cut their starter within 48 hours. 

When Ansah won’t be cleared until August you can wait on that and focus on this purge maybe snag someone prior to cut for a later round pick or player for player. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That young and hungry guy out there imo is Shane Ray. He sticks out like a sore thumb in UFA. He had 8 sacks in 2016. He's a bit of a tweener, but so what? He's a little bigger than Eli Harold. I think he needs a shot to be a 4-3 defensive end. I'd give him a two year deal because he's the type of player who could replace Jerry Hughes. He has that kind of upside imo. I'm going to keep talking about Shane Ray until we sign him lol. Ray visited the Ravens and the and did not sign, so perhaps he is seeking too much money. 

There has to be an off-field reason why he hasn't been picked up by someone.    Pass rushers are the second most valued players in the game.   Makes no sense nobody has taken a flyer on him.   I remember seeing a story about him and his father had been a prep superstar and veered off the path, possibly due to mental illness so maybe he's got something going on there too.   Don't know but it's beyond odd that someone with his pedigree and pass rush ability is jobless at this time of year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see what he brings to the table that sets him apart from Zo, Murphy and Lawson. 

They can get the same production from their rotation that they’d get from him. I’d rather see them grab a younger guy hungry for a shot like philips last year than spend millions on Ziggy. Best chance is a one year prove it deal and he actually stays healthy and makes an impact, I would hate to see a multi year deal though 

And what happens when Murphy and Shaq get hurt like they regularly do?  Good depth and competition matters.  It’s just been so long since we’ve had it, we view it as overkill. We NEED another pass rushing DE if we want to take that next step.  Not saying that ansah is even good, but he’s better than Yarbrough.  I’m sure of it

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He isn’t going to camp. So focus on the more pressing option right now. Decision on Shaq Lawson’s 5th year option. 

That one's easy.    

Pass.

If he goes off and turns into a DE that's worth $10M+ just franchise him and work out a longer term deal.

Let the free agency carrot bring out the best in him.........he's had some self-admitted motivation issues.

Not worth the risk of Eric Wood-ing yourself for the difference between cap and option figures when you are as cap flush as the Bills are next season.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There has to be an off-field reason why he hasn't been picked up by someone.    Pass rushers are the second most valued players in the game.   Makes no sense nobody has taken a flyer on him.   I remember seeing a story about him and his father had been a prep superstar and veered off the path, possibly due to mental illness so maybe he's got something going on there too.   Don't know but it's beyond odd that someone with his pedigree and pass rush ability is jobless at this time of year.  

I don't think we need to go into his pedigree for the reason.  He's had, I think, now 4 different surgeries on the same wrist (ligament injury).  It's not a stretch to believe there may be career-limiting functional impairment as well as loss of strength/weight 'cuz he can't lift while recovering.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/6/6/17436542/report-shane-ray-to-have-wrist-surgery-and-be-sidelined-for-3-months

(article has an error saying same injury that cost him most of 2018 season when they mean 2017)

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That one's easy.    

Pass.

If he goes off and turns into a DE that's worth $10M+ just franchise him and work out a longer term deal.

Let the free agency carrot bring out the best in him.........he's had some self-admitted motivation issues.

Not worth the risk of Eric Wood-ing yourself for the difference between cap and option figures when you are as cap flush as the Bills are next season.

if he goes off you let him go and get that comp pick baby

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The problem is that when there are multiple teams "in" on one guy, teams will sometimes do stupid things like give injured players multi-year deals.  That is why this whole thing feels wrong.  I think he is holding out for a better deal. 

That's fine. If he wants to play poker, let him. Can't blame him and his agent for wanting to get the most guaranteed money that they can. It doesn't mean that Beane and the Bills have to blink. They can simply walk away from the table. I don't get the feeling that the front office is chasing Ansah. They're keeping an eye on his situation and if it lines up with their needs at what they feel is a fair price, they'll pull the trigger...but I honestly don't think that Beane will give him more than a one year 'prove it' deal and Ansah won't get stupid money from anyone, despite what he thinks.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if he goes off you let him go and get that comp pick baby

My guess is that they will be back in the free agent market next year............the last time the Bills signed such a huge crop of middling free agents Robert Royal ended up being the only "keeper":lol:............ so they might not have the comp formula to get a pick back but yes that is also a possibility.     

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That one's easy.    

Pass.

On the whole, you make some really good comments, but every time you say this you just lose all credibility, and I'm left thinking this guy has no idea what he is talking about. 

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

On the whole, you make some really good comments, but every time you say this you just lose all credibility, and I'm left thinking this guy has no idea what he is talking about. 

Sorry, Eric.

Unnecessary commitments of cap space to try to buy the locker room are so "old Billsy".    Beane also added incentives to McCoy's contract at the same time he extended Wood.    As if he wasn't already double dipping on his Eagles contract.   How accommodating!

Fortunately McBeane inherited a franchise with few cap commitments for 2018 and beyond.   That allowed Beane to murder a mountain of Pegula bucks and play the martyr when a big chunk of that dead money was due to things like signing AJ McCarron and Corey Coleman and EWoods unnecessary contract extension etc..  

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Must be one hell of a phone bill.Been on the phone for 5 weeks now

I think they're okay. Rumor has it that Ralph's estate threw in this little beauty when they sold the team...

Related image

• Haha (+1) 1