I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

3 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

You could say that about any draft pick though.

Why did Oliver fall to 9?

Why did Ford not go higher?

Oliver fell to 9 because the Raiders and Giants made unexpected picks at 4 and 6. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not being rabidly fluent about all the different potential draftees I spent about 4 minutes really fired up about Metcalf and thought for sure the Bills would ***** him up if he was available at #9. 

Then I read more about him and the reality of it sank in. 

Not saying anything bad about him. Not at all. I grew up in Mississippi and was an Ole Miss fan (in that if someone asked me "Rebels or Bulldogs" I would dutifully answer "Rebels"). But I understand what (& why) McBeane did (what they did). I wish DK all the best in Seattle. 

51 minutes ago, mannc said:

If Metcalf can play, Seahawk fans will have a lot to look forward to, with Russell Wilson chucking the ball to him and Tyler Lockett.  I'm jealous...

Metcalf/Lockett is kind of similar to Foster/Brown....

For the record. I would’ve been on board with trading back into the late 2nd for DK.  

I just feel like we went from overhyping our dumpsterfire WR Unit last offseason to underhyping our current group that is a competent Zay Jones away from from having some potential.  

So, what was DK Metcalf's specialty? His 4.33 speed? 

Weaknesses https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metcalf?id=32194d45-5436-3377-5806-d2746f1b94aa

• Should rely on footwork and body positioning over arm-extension to clear the top of his route
  • Rushes through pattern ingredients rather than developing their flavors as a route chef
  • Gears it down a little when turning to locate the deep ball
  • Fails to sell route fakes to manipulate his opponent
  • Breaks and stems aren't as sharp as they could be
  • Had separate season-ending injuries in 2016 (foot) and 2018 (neck)
  • Suffered focus drops when working back to the ball
  • Drop rate too high over last two seasons
  • Needs better positioning of his big frame to block out defenders on comebacks

The Bills signed a WR with 4.34 speed and gave him a 3 year contract at 9 mill per, his name is John Brown (and he can run more then three routes). With Robert Foster, Zay Jones did they really need another deep speed WR or a Right tackle like Cody Ford to protect Josh Allen with those deep throws?

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Metcalf/Lockett is kind of similar to Foster/Brown....

For the record. I would’ve been on board with trading back into the late 2nd for DK.  

I just feel like we went from overhyping our dumpsterfire WR Unit last offseason to underhyping our current group that is a competent Zay Jones away from from having some potential.  

I have by no means given up on Zay. It's not unusual for WRs to take a few years to transition. But I'm not sure that a competent Zay Jones would be what this WR corps needs in terms of receiver type. JuJu was that guy. Good chance AJ Brown was too. I'm hoping Duke Williams is a player. That's all we've got right now.

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I always took it to mean that he has a bit extra motivation to prove a group of people wrong. Not that he is now motivated more, but it's just an extra goal I suppose. Sometimes that gives you a little extra push. 

"Extra Motivation" doesn't mean "motivated more"? "Extra goal"? Regardless of what terms you use, it's implying that the players has "more" to give in some way that they wouldn't have given if they didn't fall in the draft...which is ridiculous on several levels.

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

"Extra Motivation" doesn't mean "motivated more"? "Extra goal"? Regardless of what terms you use, it's implying that the players has "more" to give in some way that they wouldn't have given if they didn't fall in the draft...which is ridiculous on several levels.

I dunno. I just think it is a mindset thing. When people doubt you, I think you get a little extra mustard in there. It isn't implying that he would hold anything back effort wise. I think it's a real thing. We can all agree to disagree. Motivated to do your best, but also motivated to prove some people wrong. It's an extra source of motivation. Bulletin board material etc. To me that's real, not a stupid sports cliche. Ask Tom Brady. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

So, what was DK Metcalf's specialty? His 4.33 speed? 

Weaknesses https://www.nfl.com/prospects/d.k.-metcalf?id=32194d45-5436-3377-5806-d2746f1b94aa

• Should rely on footwork and body positioning over arm-extension to clear the top of his route
  • Rushes through pattern ingredients rather than developing their flavors as a route chef
  • Gears it down a little when turning to locate the deep ball
  • Fails to sell route fakes to manipulate his opponent
  • Breaks and stems aren't as sharp as they could be
  • Had separate season-ending injuries in 2016 (foot) and 2018 (neck)
  • Suffered focus drops when working back to the ball
  • Drop rate too high over last two seasons
  • Needs better positioning of his big frame to block out defenders on comebacks

The Bills signed a WR with 4.34 speed and gave him a 3 year contract at 9 mill per, his name is John Brown (and he can run more then three routes). With Robert Foster, Zay Jones did they really need another deep speed WR or a Right tackle like Cody Ford to protect Josh Allen with those deep throws?

You just about covered it all. vis-a-vis Metcalf.  ??

(Only thing you omitted was inconsistent hands.)

EDIT: My bad, you did cover that.

Edited by The Senator

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just because Beane didn’t draft a WR does not mean that he knows better than us or anyone else. It is just the choice he made.

i think this was a decent WR class. As we saw only a few 1st round talents but a ton of potential. Guys like Butler in the 4th or Harmon in the 6th, just to name a few. I would have took a shot at one of those guys. 

Beane definitely knows more about the draft, and about football talent evaluation, and about what the coaches say about the players.  

You know now what you read on the internet, just like the rest of us.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

I’ve seen offense of line used quite a bit. Not sure if it was an accident at first then others went with it. 

Not as bad as weird, unnecessary s's thrown onto random words. "I planned on going to Tops's to bring some spinach dip to the tailgates's for the Jets's game, but I got about 8 textes warning me that there were reports of spinach based foods poisoning."

We have a pretty good WR corps right now. The only thing that everyone seems to think we are missing is that true #1 type receiver. None of the WRs in this year's draft had that true #1 receiver label. So, why waste a pick on a WR who is projected to be a slot guy (as some of the top WRs in the draft were slated as) since we already have Beasley. Why waste a pick on a speed guy, since we have Brown and Foster. If there was a true #1 WR in the draft, I bet Beane would have gone out of his way to get him, but that just wasn't this draft. You don't grab a WR just to say we drafted a WR. To all of the fans who were upset that the Bills didn't draft a WR in the 3rd to 7th rounds I ask, where was a WR in those rounds that would be a true #1 WR (if there was one he would have been drafted by someone earlier---rounds 1 or 2)? Anyone selected that late in the draft wouldn't have cracked the starting lineup, so why waste a pick on one.

And as for Metcalf, McDermott said it in his post draft wrap up, "I hate the word potential." These guys like to draft players that have proven it at the collegiate level, with 2-4 years of solid production.

As to the OP's point and posted article though, yes, I feel bad for kids like Metcalf who get their hopes of being a high draft pick pumped up by the media, when it just isn't a reality.

12 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I personally wish D.K. all the best. If he turns out to be the next  young T.O then Seattle got a bargain. I have nothing against D.K. and will not root against him. The Bills had a lower draft value on him than the second round. Has anyone in Buffalo media asked Beane what grade they had on D.K.? 

They did not ask him specifically what grade they had on him because they knew he would not provide that info. No GM is going to tell you what grade they had on another team’s player. But I was able to discern from his comments that it was late 2nd or later. 

The reason is that they asked him why he didn’t take a WR. He said that there were WRa they liked but each time they picked, there were players higher on their board than the next WR and they didn’t want to reach. He was asked what the “gap” would need to be to constitute a reach. He said if they are picking in the top part of the round and the next WR on their board they have graded toward the bottom of that round, they would stick to the board. If it was close, and there was a position of need, they may consider it. Based on this comment , because he was there when they picked in the 2nd, and they selected another player, he must have graded on their board toward the bottom of the 2nd (or later). 

• Like (+1) 3

NFN, but all this worry about a wide receiver that most draft pundits had placed in the first round to top ten is silly.  The very first WR went #25 to the Ravens in the 2019 NFL draft. This tells me that no actual NFL team had any WR rated that highly.  Marquise Brown #25, N'Keal Harry #32. Eight WRs taken before Metcalf and he was the last player taken in the second round, correct? It was all media and fan Hype. 

Now think back to last years draft when the majority of the Bills fans wanted to draft Josh Rosen. Most were willing to give up the farm to trade up to the #2 spot with the NY Giants to draft him. Some even wanted to give the Giants a 2019 first round pick too. 

Just like last year the Bills had a chance to draft the more polished QB in Rosen and passed for reasons. This year they passed on a WR/TE with that second round pick to draft a punishing run blocking offensive linemen for reasons. Reasons that are clear to me, because as many linemen as they added in free agency this FO wanted to make sure they could build a solid run game while better protecting that second year QB who loves to throw deep. Throwing deep requires more time in the pocket.

This FO knows what they are doing and we should see the results come September. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Not as bad as weird, unnecessary s's thrown onto random words. "I planned on going to Tops's to bring some spinach dip to the tailgates's for the Jets's game, but I got about 8 textes warning me that there were reports of spinach based foods poisoning."

I have a bachelors and a doctorate from Cornell, and have absolutely no f**king idea what you just said...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I dunno. I just think it is a mindset thing. When people doubt you, I think you get a little extra mustard in there. It isn't implying that he would hold anything back effort wise. I think it's a real thing. We can all agree to disagree. Motivated to do your best, but also motivated to prove some people wrong. It's an extra source of motivation. Bulletin board material etc. To me that's real, not a stupid sports cliche. Ask Tom Brady. 

Ah, yes, TOm Brady is only Brady because he was drafted late. Nothing to do with his talent, drive, etc. He only became a great QB to spite the people who didn't draft him. Lol

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Ah, yes, TOm Brady is only Brady because he was drafted late. Nothing to do with his talent, drive, etc. He only became a great QB to spite the people who didn't draft him. Lol

Ah yes, the Brady argument, once again.

Why not bring up Kurt Warner?  Warren Moon?

Brady carried Brian Griese’s jock strap at Michigan - that’s why no one saw what NE saw.

Vis-a-vis Metcalf, EVERYONE (‘cept the Seahawks) know what they didn’t see.  

I sincerely don’t know if you’re just being sarcastic or cynical, but if you’re comparing lame, unproductive, fragile, injury-prone  Metcalf to GOAT,  please take an antidote.

3 hours ago, The Senator said:

Ah yes, the Brady argument, once again.

Why not bring up Kurt Warner?  Warren Moon?

Brady carried Brian Griese’s jock strap at Michigan - that’s why no one saw what NE saw.

Vis-a-vis Metcalf, EVERYONE (‘cept the Seahawks) know what they didn’t see.  

I sincerely don’t know if you’re just being sarcastic or cynical, but if you’re comparing lame, unproductive, fragile, injury-prone  Metcalf to GOAT,  please take an antidote.

What NE saw? Lol that’s rich. Brady was a 6th round draft pick and I’m pretty sure the last QB taken. Pretty safe to say they didn’t see all that much ( definitely not an inkling of a HOF career) or he’d have been selected long before that. They took a 6th round flyer at the end of the draft that planned out beyond anyone’s wildest expectation. Probably figured he’d be a camp arm. Let’s not make it out to be some great visionary thing, it was a monumental fluke. That happens sometimes. Every once in awhile you get Kurt Warner instead of Curtis Painter.