I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

49 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He went in the late part of round 2. We took Ford very early in round 2. We could've easily traded back up for Metcalf if we wanted. 

We didn't want to.

We already have two guys in Foster and Brown with good straighline speed.  

Edited by oldmanfan

Because WR wasn't our top priority in the draft.  It's that simple.  We snagged a couple of capable receivers in the off season, so our FO wants to see what they can do before pursuing one in the draft.  If our current WR corps doesn't pan out this year, then I guarantee that WR will be a top priority next year.

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

This kid seems like has some serious talent so it's surprising he fell so far. 

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Beane was just asked that question in his press conference.  His reply was “because he broke his neck, is a one trick pony, has inconsistent hands and takes off his shirt too much”. At least we know now

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Easy.  If you study Beane and McD they are most likely going to have trench players rated higher than skill positions with the exception of QB.  To me that's the reason why they took Ford over Metcalf.  They had Ford rated higher.  They probably had Risner than Metcalf too, but had Ford rated higher than Risner.

43 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Beane didn't have a problem trading up plenty of other times in the draft so why couldn't he do it again?

My point is that I would've preferred to trade up for Metcalf instead of taking Singletary and Knox in the third round. 

Everyone else’s point: no one give a **** 

Can we shut this thread down or merge it with the other ones just like it

Edited by NewEra

I was high on him they were not.  Moving on.  Ford was considered a top 30 player by most accounts and obviously theirs.  The Oline was a big area of need all offseason. In terms of importance RT is higher then Wr.  Buffalo landed 2 of their top players in Oliver and Ford. By then they would have to give up alot to move into position for Metcalf.  For all we know he was a fail by the medical staff.  

The  reality is he was not valued by NFL people like he was by fans.  People wanted the BIlls to take him in the first, it seemed like he was expected by fans and media to go in the first.   He actually went at the end of the second.  We will never know if the Bills had any interest but the reality is they may have had a low grade on him and did not value him enough to trade up.  What is in the media leading up to the draft is not all real...there is a lot of good info but not all of it is good.   Lots of discussion on Sirius XM before the draft talked about how his cone drills were awful, he has speed but no quickness.

He went in the late part of round 2. We took Ford very early in round 2. We could've easily traded back up for Metcalf if we wanted. 

They could have. Don’t know how easily, but there would have been cost involved. It probably came down to if they felt the value was there for such a move and where Metcalf was on their board. Beane mentioned they wanted to move up higher than they did for Ford, but the cost was too rich. So it’s always a matter of finding a trade partner, agreeing on compensation and paying a price they are comfortable with. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

I love that the same guys who are stoked about signing David Sills as a UDFA also feel completely confident in bashing the #64 overall pick in the draft.

Gonna be a loooot of silly takes in this discussion when we look back a few years from now...

I'm one of the guys.   The Bills gave up $35,000 for Sills and would have needed to use a second on "Mr. Universe."   

If Sills busts, we're out nothing.  If he hits, we've won the lottery.    

If Metcalf busts, we've wasted a valuable draft asset and probably set back Allen a bit (we already have an underperforming 2nd round WR--and we saw how well that helped Allen last year).   If he hits, we've got a big, fast guy who struggles to stay healthy and might get 3-4 targets a game.      

B/c he wasnt graded high enough by the Bills.

28 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Actually, I think a few of us were also pointing out a loosening of grammar standards in recent years...?

Yep. There have been some memorable corruptions of commonly used expressions on this board in the past, and every so often they come up again, like in Coach Tuesday’s post lol... I’m kinda surprised not many seem to have gotten my reference to the “ particle sun” post someone made on the board a bunch of years back. When I saw him reference the “ self of steam” post it made me think of it. 

• Like (+1) 1