I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

9 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

This kid seems like has some serious talent so it's surprising he fell so far. 

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Here's a better question why did he fall to where he did apparently all other 31 teams didn't have him very high or he had some serious improvements that needed to be done to his game so trade up AH i'm not thing=king that would be a really smart thing given the reaction of all the other teams to let him slide !! 

Just saying ...

Because the magic Beane realized DK Metcalf's draft grade status was media generated hype generated purely from a selfie picture of a shirtless DK and a few general combine events … it had nothing to do with his skills on the football field.  

• Like (+1) 1

I love that the same guys who are stoked about signing David Sills as a UDFA also feel completely confident in bashing the #64 overall pick in the draft.

Gonna be a loooot of silly takes in this discussion when we look back a few years from now...

17 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

Probably because he's a workout warrior not a football player. He's a one trick pony right now and with his tight hips it's like trying to turn a semi in a cul de sac.

...as DelRio said, his physique and combine work out overshadowed his true ability as a top flight WR....based on his fall to #64, Jack was dead on IMO....kid has an opportunity now  to prove everyone wrong.....

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Because front offices realize that being built and running a great 40 does not necessarily determine how athletic you are and how good your skills as a receiver are.  

Just like when people thought because James Hardy was tall and had a good  vertical he was a lock to be good.  

8 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

He went in the late part of round 2. We took Ford very early in round 2. We could've easily traded back up for Metcalf if we wanted. 

Easily?  You realize you have to give up assets to do that right?  You realize Beane had other targets in multiple rounds and may have valued multiple players as more valuable than one trade up for one player right?  

So sorry you are wrong here as its not "easy" and need to weigh the one player versus the value of the picks.  Lets say at the point DK got drafted he was #1 on Beanes board.  Well now he has to weigh the value of DK on his board versus the value of the players they plan to target with those upcoming picks too.  And what if DK was #3 on his board behind Devin and Knox?  Why would he trade up and to get a guy not graded as high by him?  

It was clear they liked DK...but not more than Cody.  And clearly not more than multiple draft picks, or they would have traded up, its that simple.  I wanted DK as much as anyone, but man this isnt complicated.  He literally said he did not want to reach.  And if you listen to his presser it sounds like he had a late 2nd round grade on him.  Still doesnt mean late in the 2nd round he was BPA on their board as he may have still had Devin higher, who he said WAS the BPA on his board when they took him a handful of picks later.  

I wanted a WR as much as anyone, but damn we had a great draft, you cant fill every hole every draft.  Beane did what he was supposed to do, stayed true to his board, and I trust his opinion a heck of a lot more than my own or anyones here.  Plus we got a WR projected to go 3rd to 5th round in Sills for free essentially as an UDFA, so still a lot to be excited about with two wildcards in Duke and Sills in the WR competition mix.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Beane didn't have a problem trading up plenty of other times in the draft so why couldn't he do it again?

My point is that I would've preferred to trade up for Metcalf instead of taking Singletary and Knox in the third round. 

Beane disagrees.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This isnt accurate...Beane literally said when he picked Ford there were big WRs he really liked and it was pretty clear he was alluding to DK.  But he had Ford graded higher and was top guy on his board and went BPA like he said he would according to his board.  DK was gone before the Devin pick.  So we do not know who was higher, Devin or DK...but we do know Devin was the BPA on Beanes board when they drafted him as he also said this in his pressers.

In your Opinion

11 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

People saying that he's not that good is comical. LOL

If we drafted him Bills fans would be ecstatic about the the pick. 

Absolutely. He averaged 58 yards and .70 TD’s per game on a team that also saw their WR drafted in the first two rounds, TE drafted in the 3rd, and another receiver that will be drafted. It isn’t like he caught one pass for 10 yards per game and only dominated the combine. I was pounding the table for him in the late 2nd round hard. Would far and away rather have D.K. than Singletary and Knox but I hope history proves me wrong. Even if all he did was run streaks five times a game in his rookie year I would have been ecstatic. He can outrun and outmuscle whatever DB they put to cover him. He’s going to be open on one of those streak routes or make a play. 

Edited by Bills2ref

14 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

This I agree with.

4 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

In your Opinion

Sorry but thats wrong.  Out of Beanes Mouth...

Beane said at the back end of round 1, Ford was the #1 player on his whole board and tried to trade up for him. 

Beane said there were WRs he really liked there, and more than 1...but Ford was BPA.  

Beane said that when he picked Devin, he was the #1 BPA on his board too.

23 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Um, he’s not that good, and I’d have been anything but ecstatic.

Dude runs a straight line really really fast, can’t do much else. Less than 2 full seasons of college ball (actually, 21 games in 3 years), unimpressive numbers, fragile and injury prone.

No wonder every NFL GM passed on him at least twice, til Seattle at #64.

• Like (+1) 1