I now understand why the Bills passed on DK Metcalf

HOUSE

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

None are the physical specimen that DK is. 

He is your 50/50 guy. The guy who can go up and get the ball..... he may flame out but I'd much rather they take a shot with him and at least make a better attempt at putting the recievers around Allen.

Josh Brown and Beasley are essentially slot recievers/borderline number 2's. 

Love what they did with the offensive line but if Foster comes back down to earth or any substantial injuries to the WR corps and they are right back where they were last year.... Having Allen pass to a boat load of trash.

Yeah I think too much stock is being placed in how Allen finished the season.

Tyrod finished both of the Rex seasons in a fashion that would have made you think the guy was going to throw for 4,000 yards and 35 TD's the next year.

The reality is you tend to get false positive results playing out the string late in the season.

Whether the opponent is beat up,  or has one foot on the bus or if the lack of pressure to win brings out a more relaxed player than the guy you will see next September.........either way history shows not to expect that to carry over to start the following season.

The Bills in particular had almost all of their tough games early and a soft finish.    The one contentious late matchup was in New England.........and Josh looked like a bottomed out JP Losman that day.

The blueprint is out there........they NEEDED to go balls deep to prop him up this season.    Instead they went about half shaft.   Better than JTT but not enough for what's at stake, IMO.

Guessing we aren't go to get that January baby that Buddy Nix was always talking about but I'm sure we'll hear about the labor pains.:thumbsup:  

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Right on. 

2) Rule #1.........do what it takes to maximize production from the QB position.   Especially for a YOUNG QB.

I like Cody Ford and he will be a swell guard or maybe even RT and Singletary was my favorite RB in a D grade class.........but job #1 of the organization is to prop up a young QB.

Sounds nice to say the running game is a young QB's best friend.........has a very retro, 90's feel to it..........but wasn't that the point of signing 6 OL and 2 RB's in UFA?

Compare what the Rams did for Goff to what the Bills are doing for Allen.   It's sink or swim for JA by comparison.

We can talk all we want about the value of picks..........it felt great to get Ed Oliver because it filled a need with a talented player........ but here's the reality.........McD has made 4 first round selections and 3 have been defenders.

It's not going to change itself.

Until they become more QB-centric then long term success is going to remain out of reach.

Yeh but by your example the Rams got their wideout support for Goff via FA for the most part in Cooks/Watkins/Woods, Kupp was the only guy they drafted and they only spent a third or fourth on him...can't remember which.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills make similar moves. And you have to remember how much Goff leaned on Gurley in both the run and pass game. Without that talent at RB their offense looks way different...it gave the Rams a leg up in deciding how to go about putting pieces around Goff. 

6 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Who on the team possesses DK's skill set? What WR? 

Skill set is not the right description, he isn't known for his skills, he's known for his measurables and athleticism.  He's an ok route runner with ok hands.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Right on. 

2) Rule #1.........do what it takes to maximize production from the QB position.   Especially for a YOUNG QB.

I like Cody Ford and he will be a swell guard or maybe even RT and Singletary was my favorite RB in a D grade class.........but job #1 of the organization is to prop up a young QB.

Sounds nice to say the running game is a young QB's best friend.........has a very retro, 90's feel to it..........but wasn't that the point of signing 6 OL and 2 RB's in UFA?

Compare what the Rams did for Goff to what the Bills are doing for Allen.   It's sink or swim for JA by comparison.

We can talk all we want about the value of picks..........it felt great to get Ed Oliver because it filled a need with a talented player........ but here's the reality.........McD has made 4 first round selections and 3 have been defenders.

It's not going to change itself.

Until they become more QB-centric then long term success is going to remain out of reach.

I agree with that, virtually all of it. I would have liked a big WR who can get deep and you and I discussed it before the draft. I like what we did, for the most part, with the WR in the off season but we need a stud. I don't think DK or many of these guys will be a stud. I wanted Harry in the second because I saw every game he played and think he is going to be very good, but it's all an unknown.

The combination of two deep threats in Brown and Foster, a dependable slot who can get open in Beasley, a solid short pass catcher out of the backfield in Yeldon, and HOPEFULLY a big guy who can win jump balls and be a red zone threat if Duke or Sills are half good, is literally 10x better than what we had. Even McKenzie with his shiftiness and the jet sweep threat can open up the passing game.

Plus HOPEFULLY, Kroft and Knox can be better than Croom and Thomas and Clay, who proved the little known mathematical anomaly of 1+1+1=0.

Granted, that is a lot of hope.

That said, ONE of the 37 things you can do to help a young raw QB like Josh, which may be in the top 5 of those 37 is "Field Position." Getting him turnovers and shorter fields and more cracks at it with an aggressive defense. That bend but not break defense often got us terrible field position, combined with our crappy ST. So Oliver, if good, could help Josh as much as any offensive player.

We surely could use a stud WR though. Bad.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeh but by your example the Rams got their wideout support for Goff via FA for the most part in Cooks/Watkins/Woods, Kupp was the only guy they drafted and they only spent a third or fourth on him...can't remember which.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills make similar moves. And you have to remember how much Goff leaned on Gurley in both the run and pass game. Without that talent at RB their offense looks way different...it gave the Rams a leg up in deciding how to go about putting pieces around Goff. 

No it was mostly via draft resources actually.

The Rams signed Woods in UFA........a perfect fit for Goff's intermediate wheelhouse.

They drafted Kupp in the 3rd and Josh Reynolds in the 4th.    I know Bills fans don't know who Josh Reynolds is but he would be no worse than WR2 on the 2019 Bills.

They traded their 2018 second rounder for Sammy Watkins.  

The following offseason.....after they couldn't come to terms with Watkins........they traded their 2018 first rounder to New England for Brandin Cooks.

That's about as "all in" as possible.

They could have said "wait til next year" but they appreciated the value of elevating Goff in a timely fashion before any long term damage was done.

He's still vulnerable.......as evidenced in the SB.........but he GOT them to the SB.......and it's simply been a masterful job of developing a QB prospect.

I would still trade the Bills #1 for a Julio Jones but that's about the only long shot out there that's worth the risk.  

Next years class of WR is going to be great but Josh will have to "survive" this one to get to a rookie WR1 for his year 3.     This all presumes that Foster comes back to earth somewhat and that Brown and Beasley only provide their average seasons rather than peak seasons.........but it's cutting it far too close for my taste.   Josh Allen is the most important player to join the organization since Jim Kelly.........gotta' support him. 

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

No it was mostly via draft resources actually.

The Rams signed Woods in UFA........a perfect fit for Goff's intermediate wheelhouse.

They drafted Kupp in the 3rd and Josh Reynolds in the 4th.    I know Bills fans don't know who Josh Reynolds is but he would be no worse than WR2 on the 2019 Bills.

They traded their 2018 second rounder for Sammy Watkins.  

The following offseason.....after they couldn't come to terms with Watkins........they traded their 2018 first rounder to New England for Brandin Cooks.

That's about as "all in" as possible.

They could have said "wait til next year" but they appreciated the value of elevating Goff in a timely fashion before any long term damage was done.

He's still vulnerable.......as evidenced in the SB.........but he GOT them to the SB.......and it's simply been a masterful job of developing a QB prospect.

I would still trade the Bills #1 for a Julio Jones but that's about the only long shot out there that's worth the risk.  

Next years class of WR is going to be great but Josh will have to "survive" this one to get to a rookie WR1 for his year 3.     This all presumes that Foster comes back to earth somewhat and that Brown and Beasley only provide their average seasons rather than peak seasons.........but it's cutting it far too close for my taste.   Josh Allen is the most important player to join the organization since Jim Kelly.........gotta' support him. 

I meant they mostly traded for their wideouts instead of drafting them. Which, imo, is a reasonable route to go at that particular position which is proven to be a very steep learning curve from college-->pros when trying to develop a young QB quickly.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I think too much stock is being placed in how Allen finished the season.

Tyrod finished both of the Rex seasons in a fashion that would have made you think the guy was going to throw for 4,000 yards and 35 TD's the next year.

The reality is you tend to get false positive results playing out the string late in the season.

Whether the opponent is beat up,  or has one foot on the bus or if the lack of pressure to win brings out a more relaxed player than the guy you will see next September.........either way history shows not to expect that to carry over to start the following season.

The Bills in particular had almost all of their tough games early and a soft finish.    The one contentious late matchup was in New England.........and Josh looked like a bottomed out JP Losman that day.

The blueprint is out there........they NEEDED to go balls deep to prop him up this season.    Instead they went about half shaft.   Better than JTT but not enough for what's at stake, IMO.

Guessing we aren't go to get that January baby that Buddy Nix was always talking about but I'm sure we'll hear about the labor pains.:thumbsup:  

I love it when Badol quotes ScottLaw.  It’s always so positive.  Said no one. Ever.

• Haha (+1) 1

I have seen it mentioned here many times about DK catching bombs. That is a fun play but how many bombs are caught each game? Not many and the Bills already have two guys who can get down the field for bombs. Guys that will get open and move the chains is what keeps the offense on the field. A lot can happen in a year but I will be interested to see the talent level of WR's in next years draft compared to this years. 

Here are Metcalf’s actual stats...

2016: GP-2, REC YDS- 2, RUSHING-0, TDS-0

2017: GP- 12, REC YDS-646, RUSHING-0, TDS-7

2018: GP-7, REC YDS-569, RUSHING-0, TDS-5

Runs real fast in a straight line, but less than 2 full seasons of college ball, unimpressive production, and apparently fragile and injury prone.

I’m glad Beane passed, twice, as did everyone else until Seattle finally took him at #64.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NJKBillsfan said:

This kid seems like has some serious talent so it's surprising he fell so far. 

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

Probably because he's a workout warrior not a football player. He's a one trick pony right now and with his tight hips it's like trying to turn a semi in a cul de sac.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Any word on why we didn't trade up and grab him? I would have been much happier with our draft had we traded up for Metcalf instead of Singletary/Knox in the 3rd.

DK was gone before the 3rd round, so not sure why people keep mixing him in like we took Singletary over DK.  

The bottom line was this...Beane said there were some WR's he really liked and was hard not taking them and stayed true to his board.  I mean DK could have been #2 on his board, didnt matter because he said Cody was top overall BPA when the 2nd started.  So he took Cody.  DK went BEFORE Singletary, so its a mute point now.  

And they could have traded up, but they clearly had multiple targets and let the draft start falling for them.  And Beane again said Devin was the top guy on their board when he picked and didnt want to reach for a WR they had graded lower.  Same with Knox.  

So this isnt a mystery, Beane answered all these questions and it was clear they liked DK because he said there were some big WR's there and different type of make up than our guys here who he felt could really help our team.  But...Cody was their top ranked player above all the WRs at that stage, and they stayed true to their board and took the BPA based on their evaluations instead of reaching for another need.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Josh "Real Deal" Allen said:

Probably because he's a workout warrior not a football player. He's a one trick pony right now and with his tight hips it's like trying to turn a semi in a cul de sac.

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Cause he’s not all that good 

This isnt accurate...Beane literally said when he picked Ford there were big WRs he really liked and it was pretty clear he was alluding to DK.  But he had Ford graded higher and was top guy on his board and went BPA like he said he would according to his board.  DK was gone before the Devin pick.  So we do not know who was higher, Devin or DK...but we do know Devin was the BPA on Beanes board when they drafted him as he also said this in his pressers.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

You're lying.  You're a troll.  A troll who's bad at trolling.  It's not even funny.  This is terrible. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1